cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Cruiser 259bhs tounge weight

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at 30ft bunkhouse models and liked this floor plan as it's about a foor shorter than most. The tounge weight is listed as 906lbs which is more than some of their longer and heavier models and kind of defeats the purpose of it being a shorter trailer. Anyone have experience with one of these or know how accurate the tounge weight ratings are?
30'11. 6048dry. 7906gross

Using a 2018 max tow F150 with 1850lbs payload
6 REPLIES 6

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
Yup that's the one. The other on one my list is the Sunset Trail 272bh. It's aa few inches longer but has a couple hundred pounds less tounge weight. The axles on the Cruiser seem pretty far back which probably contributes as well. I imagine it does make for a nice stable tow with the right truck though.
Thanks
Andh

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
toytacoma8 wrote:
I've been looking at 30ft bunkhouse models and liked this floor plan as it's about a foor shorter than most. The tounge weight is listed as 906lbs which is more than some of their longer and heavier models and kind of defeats the purpose of it being a shorter trailer. Anyone have experience with one of these or know how accurate the tounge weight ratings are?

I looked up the camper you are thinking about. Is it this one? https://cruiserrv.com/rv-model/shadow-cruiser-ultra-lite-259bhs/

The floor plan and how storage is placed in the camper add to or subtract from the loaded tongue weight. The spec numbers you posted caught my eye; I ran into this before but on a rear living layout, not a bunkhouse.

Here is what I see and what may happen to that camper unless you can sort this out.

The listed specs are 906# dry on a dry 6,048 GVW. This is 906/6048=0.15. Or 15% dry tongue weight. That set off the bells ringing; this camper pending the floor plan and storage, can go up in loaded tongue weight quickly.

Now to the floor plan and your front "patented" full-body storage feature. This video shows the extra storage in the front of the camper as their full body storage feature. https://youtu.be/O_lPCG1bd1o

Your slide and kitchen are mainly over the axles; this is good because added cargo does not add or subtract much from loaded tongue weight.

The back bunks, not sure what storage is back here, but this area subtracts from loaded tongue weight. There may be some storage in the outside kitchen; this can help lower some of the tongue weight.

Here is the main issue, as you are on a 1500 truck. You have a "lot" of storage upfront on that camper. When cargo is added to this substantial front storage, under the bed, the bedroom cabinets, and the large-sized cargo hole with this full-body storage option, this quantity of front storage can add a lot of tongue weight, pending the stuff you put up there.

Your 906# dry weight will grow to approx 43# for LP gas, and apprx. 45# for a standard grp 24 battery; not sure if you will add a power tongue jack, but your 906# can reach 1,000# quickly, and that is before you add more weight to the front cargo area. You could end up with a 1,200 to 1,300 # loaded tongue weight. Even higher pending what all you put in the storage you have.

The heads up, you will have to manage where you put cargo in that floor plan, or you can go over your truck GVWR and possibly the rear axle rating. By the last weights you posted, you have approx 410# of payload to spare. You will be close to or on top of, or over the weight ratings on your truck.

I recommend you get a Sheline tongue scale if you get this camper, to keep track of what adds and what subtracts weight-wise as you load up the camper. You will have to manage the truck bed weight to also not get any higher.

I had a similar problem long ago; my 7,000# GVWR-rated camper reached 21% loaded tongue weight. The floor plan and your "stuff" drives loaded tongue weight. I ended up trading my 1500 truck for a 2500 Suburban. We loved the camper too much; the truck had to go, and I was glad we traded up.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with your new camper.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. My current "23"ft trailer has a -600lb advertised tounge weight that's closer to 1000 when loaded. Truck still has extra payload when loaded for a trip. These were the weights other other day. Were in the middle of a 2 week trip.
Truck front 3240
Rear 3380
Total 6640
Gvw 7050

Trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
toytacoma8 wrote:

You want tongue weight. Don’t be scared of it. That 1000lbs giver take is just about right.
Find one with a light tongue weight for the overall length and gvw and it won’t tow/track as steady.
And look at it this way. You may actually need the weight distribution feature of a wdh to pick up a bit of weight off the tongue, compared to the thousands of RVers that were duped into and now married to their wdh when it is not needed. Win win I say.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Second Chance wrote:
The advertized tongue weights are close to useless - empty, nothing on board. For travel trailers, a good estimate of a loaded tongue weight is to calculate 12 - 13% of the trailer's GVWR. Weights are also a function of the design and materials used for the build, too - not the length of the trailer.

Rob

So what’s your point? The advertised weight is 12%. Is it useless or accurate, lol?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
The advertized tongue weights are close to useless - empty, nothing on board. For travel trailers, a good estimate of a loaded tongue weight is to calculate 12 - 13% of the trailer's GVWR. Weights are also a function of the design and materials used for the build, too - not the length of the trailer.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015