cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shopping for a camper...

Longshore
Explorer
Explorer
I actually joined some time ago but now I'm so close to retirement I can smell it. I have a 2015 GMC 3500 short bed srw. Yup. With the diesel so you all know my tare weight is over 7900lbs with the 100lb bed mat in and full of fuel. Looking at new NL but I will be close to over on the rare times the whole family piles in. Lance is a close second, I can get an 850 and they weigh 2600 or so.

I have 40" from front bed wall to drive axle. So the 850 will COG at 39". All the dealers say that's fine, no problem. My question to you guys is one inch enough difference?

Thanks, Mike...
28 REPLIES 28

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems that you are a first time TC buyer so I can warn you that weights get out of hand quickly. For example if you start with a Lance 850, Lance estimates the wet weight as 2835#. First that is the base unit and does not include options such as awnings. Almost all units are going to come with options that bump up the weight by several hundred pounds. Even tiedown brackets and a bed mat add a lot of weight. Next you need to consider the weight of heavy accessories. Unless you are going to have hook ups at almost all times, you will want to look at a generator, a second battery, and possibly solar panels. Maybe you want to consider a better foam mattress... they are also heavy. In any case the 2835# camper can easily grow to 3500#. Then there are all the other necessities: food, cooking and eating gear, a few tools, extra boots and clothing, bedding, laptop/camera gear, etc, etc. You may think I am exaggerating but count on 1000# for these items. My 2400# base weight camper jumped to 4400# and I have looked carefully and don't find much I can do to trim back on the weight. Sadly a short bed pickup greatly aggravates the weight issue.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Longshore wrote:
Yeah sorry 265 70 18. Billtex mentioned I might want a 295?

Those are likely load index 124 = 3535# ea.

If you move up to a 295-70-18 load index 129 = 4080# ea.

You will have to visit the scales and see if you need to upgrade tires.

Wheel rating should be stamped on the inside of the wheel. Some are hard to find.
OE steel wheels typically have greater load capacity then aluminum (cast) wheels.

Donโ€™t buy anything yet. Wait until you load up and visit the scale. Let us know your weights (front/rear/total) and we can help you figure out next steps.

Be safe, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Longshore
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah sorry 265 70 18. Billtex mentioned I might want a 295?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
common mistake many new folks make is upgrading tires to carry more weight but not the OEM wheels with a lessor capacity. OEM wheels just barely cover the trucks RAWR numbers. Years back it was the other way around.
IMO the 165/70-18" must be a typo ??
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Longshore
Explorer
Explorer
Well tomorrow my son and I are going to a dealer and will look at three Wolf Creek models. The light weight along with the interior design is open, kind of reminds me of the Cirrus 820, whice is 1000lbs heavier. I was really only looking at higher end units like Northern Lite or Lance, but getting in a few thousand cheaper is appealing too.

My tires are Michelin Defender load range E 10 ply. 165 70 18 I hope I don't have to replace them. If I did have to, what would be best? Would a larger tire be preferable?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Check out the Wolf Creek truck campers by Northwood MFG.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ˜‰
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your tires are my only concern. Go get it!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Longshore wrote:
Guys thanks for the quick response. On that other board I hear crickets. GVWR is 11,500lbs. Tare weight was 7,940lbs. Rear axle does come in at 7,050.

Tires are load range E 10 ply sidewalls with a 3525lb max load rating. Think I'm good there.

I spent 24 years on the road so I know about weights and why it matters. I've seen pickups bent in half and famlies killed because of negligence. That being said, I think I am over thinking this.

I bought this truck used with 53,000 miles on it. The truck was used to pull a gooseneck trailer and still has the BW hitch on it. It only weighs 75lbs, so I left it in there. It actually adds another crossmember between the frame rails. Also it has helper springs installed by previous owner.

I think it's time to stop thinking and go for what I want.

Agreed. Paralysis by analysis.
However, do not exceed tire ratings. When you finally get your rig you may find you are very close or over on your tires. Youโ€™d be surprised how heavy these things actually are after you load up.
Be safe-TCโ€™s are great!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Longshore
Explorer
Explorer
Guys thanks for the quick response. On that other board I hear crickets. GVWR is 11,500lbs. Tare weight was 7,940lbs. Rear axle does come in at 7,050.

Tires are load range E 10 ply sidewalls with a 3525lb max load rating. Think I'm good there.

I spent 24 years on the road so I know about weights and why it matters. I've seen pickups bent in half and famlies killed because of negligence. That being said, I think I am over thinking this.

I bought this truck used with 53,000 miles on it. The truck was used to pull a gooseneck trailer and still has the BW hitch on it. It only weighs 75lbs, so I left it in there. It actually adds another crossmember between the frame rails. Also it has helper springs installed by previous owner.

I think it's time to stop thinking and go for what I want.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
The 2015 GM 3500 SRW should have a 7050 rawr which is good for around 3500 lbs. Actual axle weights will tell him what he has to work with.
Agree with dealers. The truck will be fine up to its 7050 RAWR. Above that and tires/wheels will need to be upgraded. The axle is a AAM 11.5" and good for around 10800 lbs so.

Our last truck was a GM SB diesel and we carry a much heavier camper than you are looking at.
You will likely need 295 tires with 129 LI.
With a little work, you should be fine.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The 2015 GM 3500 SRW should have a 7050 rawr which is good for around 3500 lbs. Actual axle weights will tell him what he has to work with.
Agree with dealers. The truck will be fine up to its 7050 RAWR. Above that and tires/wheels will need to be upgraded. The axle is a AAM 11.5" and good for around 10800 lbs so.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Youโ€™re good, with the proper equipment with virtually any short bed sized camper, if youโ€™re not worried about possibly exceeding your gvw. The truck will handle either camper youโ€™re proposing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
What's your RAWR and actual weight?