cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Short TT with bunks and fixed queen?

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question on behalf of a friend who is looking for a different RV (needs are changing and their popup is not the right fit anymore). Does anyone know of travel trailer models that fit the following:

-Short (shorter the better)
-An ultralite is preferred
-All hard-sided (no fold out canvas beds)
-Two fixed bunks + fixed queen bed (no converting of beds)
-Decent tank capacities

Currently, the only one they've identified that is a fit is the 2017 Keystone Passport 175BH.

Anyone know of other models they could consider? They were hoping to buy used, but can't find a used option like this one. Thanks!!
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs
11 REPLIES 11

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The Passport appears to be 8' wide based on the fact it has a real queen sized bed, plus the wardrobe closet at the foot of the bed.

For smaller/midsized trucks/SUVs, sometimes people prefer a 7' wide trailer. That's the route I went. I bought a Coachmen Viking 17BH (Same as the Clipper)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
The MDX tows 5000# when properly equipped, but trust me, you don't want to tow a travel trailer with it. How do I know? That was the vehicle we had prior to our truck and after one 550 km (310 mile) drive home, and using 2 tanks of gas to get home and barely making it to fill up the first time and having to fill up a 2nd time when we arrived to our city so we could make it to our house...we went shopping for a truck. ๐Ÿ˜‰

As per the manual:

• the tow limit is only 5000 with 2 people in the vehicle, the more people (150# each), the less you can tow, and the less tongue weight you can carry
  • weight distribution hitches are NOT recommended by Honda for this vehicle
  • we had a 2008 and you couldn't use 5th gear (the newer MDXes have 6 gear so not sure which gears can be used) so you can watch the gas gauge drop quickly as you drive and the engine howls the whole way
  • when you are towing a travel trailer, you can't exceed 88 kph (55mph)
  • when going uphill and downhill, you need to use the manual shift to make sure you're in a decent gear for the trailer which just makes the drive that much more stressful

I'd stick to towing with the Tundra. What are their reasons for wanting something shorter? Ours is 24' hitch to bumper and we can fit it on our driveway to park and can still fit into lots of small, well treed, private camping sites. Ours has 2 good sized bunks (actual twin bed width, not the skinny ones) and we have a king bed. But it's not a walk around bed, it's a read hard slide (no tenting). So we end up with a good amount of space but that rear slide is awesome as it seems to tuck into sites nice and doesn't take up the space of a camper that is 29' long hitch to end of bed (bumper is now under the bed) even though that is how long we are once extended. So maybe something like that would work for them?
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
alliemac9 wrote:
@poppin Good point. I should note the specs of the Keystone that is their top/only pick thus far:

-Length = 21'3"
-Tanks = 43 gal fresh + 38 gal gray + 38 gal black
-Primarily towed by V8 Tundra, I believe, but in an ideal world an Acura MDX would also tow it

That sounds like the new Passport 175BH. It's a neat little unit, but it has some big drawbacks being so small (no bathroom sink?). Surprisingly the gray and black tank in that little trailer are slightly larger than the ones in my 30ft bunkhouse.

From what I read the MDX is only good for 3500lbs towing. Even that Passport will be over that once you add a battery and propane. If that is the vehicle deciding the purchase, I would reconsider. That trailer will be crazy tight for family and will have virtually no storage.

Personally, I would go with a trailer that is a little larger and matches up to the Tundra better and forget towing with the Acura. That is me though, each to their own.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
@poppin Good point. I should note the specs of the Keystone that is their top/only pick thus far:

-Length = 21'3"
-Tanks = 43 gal fresh + 38 gal gray + 38 gal black
-Primarily towed by V8 Tundra, I believe, but in an ideal world an Acura MDX would also tow it
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
has a full bed, but otherwise everything else on the list, coachmen clipper 17bh
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
These are pretty subjective questions. When you say short, what does that mean? For some people 28' is a short trailer.

What would they consider "decent" tank capacities? Short, small, ultralight, etc. usually means small tanks.

Knowing what they plan to tow with would also be a big help.

Help us help you. ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Flagstaff Microlite 23LB. You can get it with a fixed queen bed, but the one we have has the murphy bed.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Amerilite 248bh by gulfstream

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Takena 1860BH
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Camplite 21BHS

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 20BH LE / 2017 Puma XLE 22RBC Travel Trailer by Palomino
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite