cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should have been in Nevada by now

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a Ranch Hand Sport front replacement bumper in mid-March. Delivery date was 4 weeks out. In late April I am told it is 8 more weeks due to distributor's lack of warehouse space (small warehouse so only orders a few at a time). So, I cancelled the order and tried a different company who had them in stock. Two plus weeks ago I was told that it would come by truck and shipping would take about 6 or 7 days. Last Friday I called and was finally given a tracking number and shipment was in Colorado. 6-7 day window is past. Tuesday morning it was in Kent, WA. I finally called the trucking company yesterday and was informed that I was supposed to call for a delivery appointment. This is news to me as I was told by seller that Reddaway would call me as we are residential, not commercial. Today it should be here. Lesson learned.

Hubby has the rigging set up in our shop and a neighbor has offered to help out. I found a few videos for instructions and it looks fairly straight forward. Remove OEM bumper, line up new one and bolt it on.

So, we will brave holiday traffic and leave very early Sunday to run the I5 gauntlet through Seattle heading for some USFS camping near Mt Adams. A week behind means we will have to include Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly in October's plans. So, the plan is wander around eastern Oregon in Wallowa Mts. and down into Nevada to the Ruby Mts and Gold Butte area. We have to return home by June 19 so we should get in almost a month of traveling. I may try to do a TR from the road although where we go wifi is spotty. I Pad mini is great for posting if there us a signal.

Happy Memorial Day to all.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
11 REPLIES 11

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
On our way.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, you will need to update your front shocks. With using an F250, your shocks are not in the design parameter for that much added weight the front. Especially if you add a Winch, which is what I did to my Ranch Hand bumper. Your Ford Dealer, or many of the aftermarket Shock suppliers, as well as people here can advise. With your truck being a 2008, you are probably ready for a shock change anyway, when you travel a lot of off pavement roads.

Changing out the shocks will maintain your safety in driving your vehicle as well as minimize wear on your expensive steering components.

Looking forward to seeing your truck with the new bumper!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
clikrf8 wrote:
I wonder if it will lower our insurance rates.

Doubtful.

While you're less likely to get hurt severely, someone else is MORE likely to get hurt severely because your truck doesn't give as much.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
DH has rolling jack and hoist attached to beams in the shop. He has the bumper off and is at the point of installing brackets. He also has impact wrench in the right size for the bolts. So far he hasn't need my "help".
Update: didn't take long for installation of brackets so he needs my help to let him know when truck touches bumper hanging on the hoist.

One question: how many foot pounds do you tighten the bolts to? Nothing is mentioned in the accompanying literature.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

flht_db
Explorer
Explorer
I put a buckstop on my last truck, and have one coming for this truck. It's about 250. I have a pitbull motorcycle jack (its double rails so the bumper is balanced on the jack), rolled it next to the bumper on the pallet slid on the jack rolled it to front of truck and jacked up and installed it. Biggest part was putting the brackets on before the bumper went on.

Recommend if you have a rolling MC jack to use. When I traded my truck I pulled the bumper and pulled winch out, then reinstalled the bumper at that point was literally 6 bolts for the bumper and 4 for the winch. 1/2 hour total time.
2013 Eagle Cap 950
2014 F350 Super Duty DRW Lariat
8 X 22 Wells Cargo Enclosed Trailer for the Bikes
7 x 18 Big Tex Open Trailer for the Jeep or Bikes

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Our shipping weight was 250 pounds. It arrived later this afternoon. It is a beauty and DH says it is solid and well-made. It will probably take most of tomorrow to install but we will feel much safer. I wonder if it will lower our insurance rates. Our OEM bumper is in good shape so may recoup a small part of what we paid for the Ranch Hand.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like 150 pounds for the minimal model and up to 250 pounds for the 15K winch ready, bull nose model, depending on additives.
Bigimac, you'll find that front receiver hitch will work its way into your SOP for launching boats, moving trailers around, and hauling bicycles, or front racks.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
How much did yours
weigh?
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
Put a Ranch Hand grill (not whole bumper) on our Chevy 3500 - started out in my garage with jacks & blocks ... ended up at my local trailer building shop cause that thing was way heavy & definitely a bit more than "line up & bolt in."

While they were at it, added a custom 2" front hitch ... why not ... 2-hitches are always better than 1 ...

2013 Capri Sportsman Grande
2015 Chevy Crew cab 3500HD SWD gasser
Toyo Open Ctry ATII 275 70R/18
10150# loaded; 10.5 mpg @ 70mph

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby has floor jack and a hoist system and some old 4x12 timbers. Neighbor is younger and buffer. I think the hardest part will be removing original bumper. How long did it take you? The consensus is 2 hours. But, that is if bolts aren't stuck and all the parts are there. We will sure feel safer on the road in open range country and along highways where ungulates congregate.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
clkr wrote,
"I found a few videos for instructions and it looks fairly straight forward. Remove OEM bumper, line up new one and bolt it on."
jefe writes: I wish it were always that simple. I especially like the, "line up new one and bolt on." It will be simpler with a floor jack and a block under the new bumper, which has some weight to it, or a very buff helper to help get it into the starting block.
Thanks for the update.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar