cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Siding Recomendation ?

Shortbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hand-built truck camper I purchased from the builder. It is built very well, but he ran out of money and time when he got to the exterior. There is Luan on the outside now, painted. I need to put something over it, or replace all of it. I don't have a ton of money to put into the project at this time, but want to put something on it that will last. I store it in the garage, but use it in all weather.

Open to any suggestions you have

Thanks

Shortbus
18 REPLIES 18

Shortbus
Explorer
Explorer
I stick around Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and North Carolina for the most part. I have been camping in the back of my truck for over 10 years inside a campershell. This is a great improvement over my former set up.

We will see later, but O/S skin is first on the list, I can live without the rest.

Shortbus

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to need some insulation and interior skin or freeze to death in cold climes
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Shortbus
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, see if I can do it now.

I added a cabinet, and a kitchen area so far, along with a few fishing rod holders. I don't think I will finish the inside, I think I like it the way it is.

Shortbus

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Shortbus wrote:
How did you get them up, I used Photobucket, and used direct link, but they didn't show up ?

Thanks

Shortbus

Put the contents of the Photobucket Direct Link between the bracketed IMG and /IMG, or use the Advanced Editor and select the icon for the pictures.

Shortbus
Explorer
Explorer
How did you get them up, I used Photobucket, and used direct link, but they didn't show up ?

Thanks

Shortbus

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Shortbus wrote:
See if I can get these pics to load........

I'll see if I can help you...........

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
There were threads a few years ago about doing roofing and sides with the equivalent of spray on bed liner. That always sounded like a pretty bulletproof skin.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Shortbus
Explorer
Explorer
See if I can get these pics to load........

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Shortbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will research these ideas before moving forward. I need to make a decision soon, season is almost here again.

I bought it from the builder, so no pics during build. But he had bought a Coachman Camper with nose cone water damage. As we peeled back the front end, he found the damage was too much to repair. So he and his step father rebuilt it from the ground up with wood. They did a great job building it. I have added a few things to the interior since I got it, but have yet to tackle the outside.

Thanks

Shortbus

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
One product is called Algrip there is another the name escapes me. I would try West Marine as a source and ask about 2 part epoxy coatings.

I painted our 41' Ketch Imagine with Algrip it worked out well. We brushed the hull using a "Dry Brush" technique. We rolled it on and lightly brushed across the roller path with a dry 6" brush. There may be other and better methods now.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Any details or pics on the build? Is it wood framed? aluminum framed?

Shortbus
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to see the Epoxy product, I like the sound of that. A name would be great if you have one.

I thought about the aluminum siding, but have never worked with it. Guess it wouldn't be to hard to use.

I like the fiberglass panel idea as well, will have to research it.

Thanks for the info so far, this is great.

I will take before and after pics when I do it.

Shortbus

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a s,all repair I will be doing as soon as it warms up. I was thinking of using either fiberglass 1/8 " thick and comes in a 4 x 8' sheet in all colors or aluminium flashing that is wide enough or in a sheet if I can get it.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
skipbee wrote:
There are some durable 2 part epoxy coatings used in marine applications. They can be brushed on, and will seal the luan for a goodly period. Be sure to prime the wood first and caulk the seams well.

Are you referring to something like Pettit Marine EZPoxy2?
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB