cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Single or tandem axle

Devildogvet
Explorer
Explorer
Are single or tandem axels easier to back up and why? I have owned both and think a dual tandem axel is easier to navigate into tight spot but don't understand why. A single axel seams to jack knife more.
12 REPLIES 12

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
A dual axle is safer for towing -- if a tire blows, you have a better chance of handling the event.

Both of my trailers have been little single axles -- no one makes a 12 foot trailer like mine with two axles. Very tricky to back up, but we have learned how with much trial and error.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Long trailer, short truck is what works for me. My driveway has a culvert on both sides at the street. I can pull up with my Puma and put it in with no problem. My short utility trailer takes some working with to get it in. A few years ago I was embarrassed when trying to back my son's Ford 150 and his boat trailer at a parking spot near the lake. Backing takes practice...
Mark

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
A tandem axle trailer is slightly more resistant to changing direction of travel. Whether tat works for or against you depends on trailer - tow vehicle geometry and your own skills. From personal experience, a short single axle trailer is easier to back into very tight places but can jack knife very quickly.

This right here. having two sets of tires does make the trailer more resistant to turning, but distance between wheels and pivot are also key factors. A single axle trailer that is 25' long will cut faster than the same trailer with an extra axle behind it. If you ever watch a tandem back you will see that the tires scrub as they turn since they don't pivot on a vertical axis like your steer tires, and that scrubbing slows the cut.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you my single axle boat trailers were far easier to back up, they have a long tongue and the wheels are much farther back than my TT.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Need skill to back really short trailers.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Long or short truck IMHO doesn't matter.

What matters is the distance from the hitch to the trailer wheels.

Short distance reacts faster than long distance.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
It really doesn't matter at all how many axles or how many tires are on the trailer, or the truck. What matters most is the length of trailer and the length of truck.

A long truck and a short trailer is misery to park.

A short truck and a long trailer are heaven.

This!
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
My four foot long John Deere garden tractor is the hardest trailer in the world to back up

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A tandem axle trailer is slightly more resistant to changing direction of travel. Whether tat works for or against you depends on trailer - tow vehicle geometry and your own skills. From personal experience, a short single axle trailer is easier to back into very tight places but can jack knife very quickly.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
It really doesn't matter at all how many axles or how many tires are on the trailer, or the truck. What matters most is the length of trailer and the length of truck.

A long truck and a short trailer is misery to park.

A short truck and a long trailer are heaven.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
The most critical part of the equation is the distance from the pivot point to the axle. The greater the distance the easier it is to back up.

That's why a boat trailer is easier to back up than a short utility trailer.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are single or tandem axels easier to back up and why? I have owned both and think a dual tandem axel is easier to navigate into tight spot but don't understand why. A single axel seams to jack knife more.

Longer trailers are typically easier to back up than shorter ones. Most longer trailers are tandem axles. Maybe that helps in sorting out your question.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.