cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sirius radio antenna relocation

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 F450 with a 2001 Fleetwood Elkhorn slide-in installed. I'm sure you guys have had the problem of blocking the Sirius antenna. I relocated to a new antenna mounted on the front grill and the top is about level with the hood. Antenna worked well until I was about 1/2 mile away, then it lost the signal. What am I doing wrong?
22 REPLIES 22

F350_RR
Explorer
Explorer
Beau Bo wrote:
I routed the antenna wire on the underside of my hood under the insulation to the top center of the hood at the front. I then installed a air/bug deflector across the hood front which hides the xm antenna puck but still allows the signal through. Works pretty good.

I think I will try that on my F350. At the moment the antenna is sitting on the plastic tray at the bottom of the windshield.
On the Jeep I glued it to the fiberglass roof and ran the lead thru the firewall and it works fine.
Doug

Beau_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
I routed the antenna wire on the underside of my hood under the insulation to the top center of the hood at the front. I then installed a air/bug deflector across the hood front which hides the xm antenna puck but still allows the signal through. Works pretty good.
2016 EC 960; 2016 RAM 3500 DRW CTD; Superhitch w/42" Ext; 2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon w/16' carhauler

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Mine is on the hood of the truck barely in front of the windshield. I almost always have reception.

Thanks

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is on the hood of the truck barely in front of the windshield. I almost always have reception.

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
Freep wrote:
I relocated ours to the hood of the truck. It looks like a hood ornament.

It rarely loses signal in this location.

I also installed a second XM radio in the camper itself and mounted the antenna on the backside of the satellite dish.

Thanks I will try on the hood.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
I relocated ours to the hood of the truck. It looks like a hood ornament.

It rarely loses signal in this location.

I also installed a second XM radio in the camper itself and mounted the antenna on the backside of the satellite dish.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Others have mentioned the need for a magnetic ground plane so the antenna would have to be mounted to something flat, horizontal and magnetic. I've used a blank switch junction box cover with success on an all plastic motorcycle. They've since started making antennas for motorcycles which don't need the ground plan and can be install a number of ways.

One example: https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Satellite-Radio-Motorcycle-Antenna/dp/B002HTRELU

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone post pictures of mounting atop a camper? Also routing inside the truck?

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
fpoole wrote:
I have it on the standard truck rooftop, it will cut out if driving North and NorthWest off and on, mostly off.

I have the magnet exterior antenna, just haven't mounted yet.
I plan on putting on the front of the hood, wired going under the hood, just haven't got the courage to rip out the glove box where it "Supposedly" is hiding, something about a special connection for the antenna too which I think I have, just haven't ripped it open yet..

But it will cut out when it breaks line of site with the satellite..

and yes, if you don't renew or sign up after the trial period, it's cut.
I didn't know that on my first truck, cut after a year, couldn't figure out what happened..

Hope that helps...

ps. would be nice if the campers had an option for a plug in antenna on the roof of camper pre wired through or along with the camper's umbilical cord..

Thanks - I plan on testing my front grill location about 6" higher

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have that problem as well, though it is intermittent (with a fiberglass Bigfoot). You can cure it by driving only south. If driving north, turn around and use reverse.

As others have said the signal is line of sight from the satellite in equatorial synchronous orbit. The further north you go the more problems you will have.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
I have it on the standard truck rooftop, it will cut out if driving North and NorthWest off and on, mostly off.

I have the magnet exterior antenna, just haven't mounted yet.
I plan on putting on the front of the hood, wired going under the hood, just haven't got the courage to rip out the glove box where it "Supposedly" is hiding, something about a special connection for the antenna too which I think I have, just haven't ripped it open yet..

But it will cut out when it breaks line of site with the satellite..

and yes, if you don't renew or sign up after the trial period, it's cut.
I didn't know that on my first truck, cut after a year, couldn't figure out what happened..

Hope that helps...

ps. would be nice if the campers had an option for a plug in antenna on the roof of camper pre wired through or along with the camper's umbilical cord..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
nickdarr wrote:
Sirius works off of a satellite. So, if the antenna view of the sky is blocked by anything, it cuts signal. Drive under a fuel island to test this. If your slide in blocks the antenna at the right angle, signal is gone. We put ours on the highest point on the truck. It can be put on anything and does not need to be grounded to work. I put a temporary bracket on top of our ladder and used the super double sided bonding tape to hold it place.

Good information, Thanks

Whiplash2130
Explorer
Explorer
nickdarr wrote:
Sirius works off of a satellite. So, if the antenna view of the sky is blocked by anything, it cuts signal. Drive under a fuel island to test this. If your slide in blocks the antenna at the right angle, signal is gone. We put ours on the highest point on the truck. It can be put on anything and does not need to be grounded to work. I put a temporary bracket on top of our ladder and used the super double sided bonding tape to hold it place.

No, subscription isn't the issue, the radio does work at times and is paid up for 18 months. Thanks

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you did not pay for the service, the trial period on Sirus on new car last only 6 months.
I am not sure if actuall Roadside assistance guy will help you with Sirus, but since the truck talks to my phone, I can start it from 1/4 of mile, a simple phone call to service center should take shorter than starting forum topic?