cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skylight film

txredfish1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a clear skylight and a lot of sun comes in. Has anyone tried a tinting film on the skylight?
3 REPLIES 3

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
While it possibly could be done, I see some potential drawbacks..

1 as someone else pointed out, skylights tend to not be flat, hard to get film to fit without wrinkles or having to make relief cuts.

2 That film will have a heating effect on the plastic, this may be enough to distort the plastic at the least or cause the plastic to get brittle much faster than normal and breaking at a bad time.

Personally I would just go to a few home decor stores and look around at some fashion throw pillows. Find one that is a little bigger than the opening and then stuff it in there.

In years past you used to be able to find real metal lids for 14x14 vents but even those have pretty much gone away..

If it was a 14x14 you can get a roof vent cover in smoke color, not sure about any other size though..

If extremely bothersome you could just make your own "shade/cover" with metal or smoked plastic to fit over top the skylight (on the roof) and use the existing screw holes to keep the cover in place..

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Great question - Following.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It would probably work, if you're applying it to a flat surface.

Some use a pillow or piece of foam on the inside to block the sun. Some paint the skylight to block some of the light/heat.