cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sleeping on dinette, cushions slipping

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
Took our new camper out last weekend for the first time and our son joined us for a night. He slept on the dinette after we dropped the table and converted it to a bed. His only complaint was that the cushions slid around and he ended up slipping in between them. What has been successful for you keeping all the jigsaw like cushions in place when using your dinette as a bed?
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch
15 REPLIES 15

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I use a memory foam pad that I cut to the shape for each of my three sleeping positions in my hybrid. All three "beds" are made up of several individual cushions and with the foam topper under the sheet, you cannot feel the seams. They also roll up neatly and I put elastic band around them when traveling
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
So true - we do whatever it takes for our son to go camping with us.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200

charley542
Explorer
Explorer
We take a sleeping unzip and put the flannel side down and the silk outer side up. The flannel holds the cushions together, plus when you move on the silky side you kind of slide without disturbing the cushions. We put it over the top like a sheet, and sleep on top of the sleeping bag.

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
We used a fitted sheet - didn't work for my 22yo son.

Probably overkill, but I am going to try anti-skid shelf liner (since I have a couple of rolls already) on the table top, and a thin memory foam pad over the dinette cushions, and a fitted sheet over it all.

Gotta do what I can to get my son to go camping with us!
Equil-I-zer hitch

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Mattress cover and fitted sheet keeps the cushions together for our son who slleps on the table bed.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fitted sheet? It is what we use.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
A pool noodle would be perfect... I think I'll try that next time.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
We stapled some antislip shelving material on top of the seat boxes and that worked for us. Sounds like you need a filler block, how about a pool noodle?

Norm
F1BNorm

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman - They are all going in the correct way; they fit snugly but separate when slept upon.

Wishbone - I don't have any other cushions to use, perhaps I'll try a pillow.
Equil-I-zer hitch

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I have this same issue, and fixed it just this past weekend. It seems that I have a couple of inches of play in the cushions when laid down in bed mode, causing whomever is sleeping there to slip down a bit.

I take the armrest cushions from the sofa (really anything will work) and jam them into the crack at the head, causing the cushions to have no play, and not slip. Problem solved.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
After folding the dinette down my cushions are such a tight fit they can not move around. Are you sure you are putting them down the right way ?

Maybe other campers are different from mine.

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
Great suggestions! I was also thinking of a memory foam mattress cover.
Equil-I-zer hitch

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carpet underlay works well. I used the 1/2" foam type once for dinette seating and no more slipping. IIRC, foam underlay is somewhat slippy on one side and I seem to remember using spray contact cement to glue it down to the plywood. Would have to store a piece for when the table is used for sleeping on and would be bulky.

A yoga mat might work even better, only about 1/4" thick too. Just used some in our under-bed storage and am surprised how well it works at stopping things from moving around. Rolls up into a fairly tight bundle. Can be found cheap on CL.

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Some of mine have Velcro under them, but assuming the table top is part of the platform it may depend on your layout if that would work.