cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLIDE-ON Camper Shell Power Plug to Truck

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking for some diagrams or install info on the TRUCK CAMPER power plug between the TC and truck. There is all kinds of info online showing the 7-way connectors and other from the Trailer trailers and Fifth wheels but absolutely nothing for the slide-in truck camper shell...

This keeps coming up on the forums and I'd like to get up to speed on it... I see photos of the plug on the bottom of the truck camper shell but no pin-outs. I do understand the TC guys talk about adding an adapter to hook this power plug up to the 7-way connectors on the back of the truck...

What does this connection provide for with the Truck camper. I'm thinking rear and running safety lights controlled by the truck and even the license plate light- Maybe some back-up lights... All of these are usually hid from few when the camper shell is loaded...

What else is needed... Are the pins standard... What type of connector plug...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
8 REPLIES 8

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the on I purchased, an easy install.
7 pin harness
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Same wiring convention as a trailer plug save for the power to the brakes since a TC has none.
My TC has a 6 pin plug, missing the hot wire from the trailer brake controller.
If the camper has a different shaped receptacle and plug, like mine, idk what the pin outs are on it but I'm sure every camper mfg has a wiring diagram for their plug.
Btw, why do you always capitalize the type of camper in your posts?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
What the electrical connection between the camper and the truck provides is based totally on the type of camper. There is no standard connection for TC's.

A true camper shell may only need a two pole plug providing +/- 12v DC for a single interior light. A truck camper that doesn't extend past the end of the bed, and doesn't cover the trucks brake and turn signals, may only need +/- 12v DC, and possibly a connection to the truck running lights. A bigger TC that covers the brake and turn signals would need +/- 12v, L and R turn, brake lights, and running lights. That's what my TC has in it's umbilical cord, and I would use 6 of the 7 pins in an RV plug.

Due to (relatively speaking) how much closer TC's are to the trucks alternator, they are in a unique position to having a very robust battery charging system if the owner is willing to put in a little work. Several TC owners here (myself included) have run much heavier gauge wires from the truck alternator to the TC battery so that the battery will charge up much faster than through the OEM circuit that runs through the standard RV plug in the bed or under the bumper.

Due to the higher amps involved, the heavier gauge wires will need to be run through a different style plug than the RV seven blade plug. Some use Anderson power pole connectors, some (myself) use a Pollack seven round pin plug set close to the front of the bed that can handle the larger wires and higher amperage.

Some will split the umbilical into two cords, running the +/- 12v through 4 gauge wires and a Pollack two round pin plug that can handle up to 200 amps, and the brake, turn, and running lights through a four pole plug. That's what I intend to do on my new truck.

The +12v wire will be run directly from the back of the alternator, through a continuous-duty solenoid controlled by one of the upfitter switches in the dash and a re-settable CB of the appropriate amperage, to the two-pole connector in the truck bed. The -12v wire will be run from an appropriate ground point near the alternator to the two-pole connector in the truck bed.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB,
When you say camper shell, I think you actualy mean a slide in Truck Camper. A camper shell is just that, a shell that sits on top of the bed panels and has a rear lift door all the way across the rear of the shell. It has nothing inside of it. It is just to provide a cover for the pickup bed.
My Lance and all Lance's has a special plug that you can only get from Lance and you pay BIG time for it. When I got it the plug was not with it, so I replaced it with a standard round six pin. Used a 7 pin pigtail with a 6 pin male on other in to go my truck 7 pin. Just have to be SURE to get wires right.
I think all other Truck Campers has the 7 Pin plug.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
A little more info would be helpful .

What do you mean by a slide in camper shell ?

What all are you trying to power in the shell ?

The only real difference between a TT and a TC plug is the TC has no brake wire , ( except for the Lance plug ) .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a hard-wired 7 pin cable exactly like a travel trailer or 5th wheel. Mine comes out of the camper in the rear wing so it can be plugged into the standard bumper plug. I had an in-bed plug for my 5th wheel so I plug it in there to keep it up out of the way.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
E-trailer had decent information when I needed it. Linked is the home page... I could not find the wiring info, but search their website, they still may have it somewhere.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most TC's use the exact same 7-way as the trailers. They provide running lghts, and charging power and even backup lights as needed. Some smaller, older campers that are 8 feet or less don't need running lights or may not have a battery on board.

The adapters people talk about are often simple Y cables so they can plug the camper in and still provide a plug for a trailer.

Lance campers use their own proprietary plug to provide a larger gauge charging system. Here is an old post from the sticky posts above on that. http://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15467144.cfm