cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out issue

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi, looking for some help on a trailer. We sold our Hybrid this summer and started looking for a new trailer. We found a 2012 Shasta Revere that we bought over the winter from a private party. Shame on me but we couldnโ€™t see if everything functioned due to it being well below freezing when we bought it. My first challenge is I canโ€™t get the slide to go out. Itโ€™s about a 12โ€™ by 18โ€ slide and the one side starts to go out but the other side seems to be stuck. So the front side will move out about 2โ€ while the rear side wonโ€™t move at all. Seems to be a whine from the motor near the front, is there a motor at the rear also? Thanks Iโ€™m advance. I checked fuses, every thing seems fine. I do not have the battery installed, just plugged in right now.
14 REPLIES 14

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just the bulb seal looks easy but on the top and one side I need to replace the wiper seal also. Fun stuff. Makes my memories of the old hybrid much fonder!

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, have the Schwintek slide and have replaced the top seal as described above. I find any wet lubricant like silicon makes the seals sticky and creates drag. Baby powder is a better option and there is very little friction and it doesn't soften or deteriorate the seals.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
troy t wrote:
Did a little You-tubing and I do have the Schwintek system. Grabbed a ladder and went up to lok at the top where the motor is and realized I need to replace the seal across the top. Doesn't look like a horrible job, has anybody done that?

Read about calibrating the Schwintek slides. Doing this will help your slides go in and out squarely.
Once you replace the one damaged seal lube the others with a silicone spray. I do the seal and the side of the slides to make them slick (so that the seal will slide easily). KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are several different styles of slide seals. I replaced my top one, which was a D-bulb style, that just slides in a track on the wiper. It was a simple job.

Jerry

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did a little You-tubing and I do have the Schwintek system. Grabbed a ladder and went up to lok at the top where the motor is and realized I need to replace the seal across the top. Doesn't look like a horrible job, has anybody done that?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You'd have to crawl under the trailer to see the motor.

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I installed the battery and that solved the problems. Slide went out and in like itโ€™s supposed to I guess. My problem as far as maintenance is I have no access anywhere? The kitchen and a couch are in the slide and I see no access to the mechanism without some disassembly. From the exterior of the camper on the bottom of the slide I can see where it rolls out on 5 small rollers. Then thereโ€™s 2 tracks on each side, one at the bottom and one at the top. Again, first camper with a slide for me so sorry for the dumb questions.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Troy,
I had that exact same problem many years ago with our trailer. Called a mobile repair guy and he came out and solved it in about 5 minutes.

You most likely only have one motor running the slide in or out. It is usually located on one side and a long shaft goes to the other side to turn the gears there. What happened to ours is the shaft came loose from the gearbox because the set screw loosened up. The repair man just slid the shaft back into position and tightened up the set screw and it has remained trouble free for the past 14 years or so.

Perhaps yours is a simple thing like mine was. Hope so! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's a Schwintek slide, there are a few videos on YouTube explaining the mechanism and maintenance. One thing I learned is to hold the in/out switch for about 5 seconds are all movement has stopped, to synchronize the motors.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, I've got the battery on the charger and will pop it in yet this afternoon. Somebody mentioned greasing it all. How do I do that, can't even see the mechanism.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Times 2 on the battery.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You might try installing the battery, as many slides will not operate correctly on shore power alone. It may take a well charged battery to operate, so be sure it is ready to go.

Jerry

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure there is not a slide bar on top of the slide? Some slides use a slide lock which is just an expandable bar on top of the slide to keep them from creeping out.

Just a thought.

Forget the slide lock if it is moving 6 or 7 inches. Sounds like you need to lube all of your moving parts on the slide mech.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, just want to make a quick update. After jiggling it some I now have the rear moving out about 3-4" while front moves out 6-7" and then it all stops. Retracts in just fine but still won't fully extend, lots of noise though as it is extending. New to the world of slides so its probably something simple that I don't know so any help would be great.