cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide out stabilizers

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
I was paging through the Camping World magazine that we received and see that they have 'slide out stabilizers'.

Does anybody use stabilizers for their slide outs?

We have 3 slides, 2 for the living area and 1 for the bedroom.

Also, we are looking for a cover for our Jayco 34RSBS.

Are there any suggestions regarding the brand to consider purchasing?

Thanks,

Tom
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight
16 REPLIES 16

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use them. Why? first reason is given my record, I'd forget they were down and likely try to retract the slides before removing the support and make a mess of stuff quickly.

couple that with never having an issue without them.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
In short, you probably have been lucky.
I am the Safety manager at my work. One of our challanges is the employee that refuses to follow the safety standards... They always say that they like doing it the way they do, and they haven't been hurt.

Well, given enough time... They always do get hurt.

There is a way to safely use the slide supports.
You must camp on hard surfaces such as concrete, or asphalt. Something that will not allow the TT to settle. And you must block the TT frame in such a way that a tire losing air will not allow the TT to lower. Think mobile home type stabilizing. As one who sets up for 4 months at a time, it would be worthwhile IMO, to do this.

Since hardly anyone will do these things, the risk of damage is always there. At some point, your number will come up.

Now you have the knowledge of just what the risk is, and how to mitigate it. Knowledge is power.
What you do with it is your choice
janechucknicodemus wrote:
Holey ****, I guess after 5 years , I'd better get ride of mine.. I set up for about 4 months a a volunteer in different parks and have a small unit, wind and sea sickness is a factor and I have frame X braces plus blocks, My slide is cable drive and it needs a little help. Thus my braces. And I always have air in my tires and do proper maintenance to the unit. So if you like the wobble, and feeling of a boat when walking to the back, so be it. MY 2 p
Cheers and drive safe and be careful
Chuck

And if you follow the rules in the first place (read the owners manual, no supports!) none of that is necessary.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
In short, you probably have been lucky.
I am the Safety manager at my work. One of our challanges is the employee that refuses to follow the safety standards... They always say that they like doing it the way they do, and they haven't been hurt.

Well, given enough time... They always do get hurt.

There is a way to safely use the slide supports.
You must camp on hard surfaces such as concrete, or asphalt. Something that will not allow the TT to settle. And you must block the TT frame in such a way that a tire losing air will not allow the TT to lower. Think mobile home type stabilizing. As one who sets up for 4 months at a time, it would be worthwhile IMO, to do this.

Since hardly anyone will do these things, the risk of damage is always there. At some point, your number will come up.

Now you have the knowledge of just what the risk is, and how to mitigate it. Knowledge is power.
What you do with it is your choice
janechucknicodemus wrote:
Holey ****, I guess after 5 years , I'd better get ride of mine.. I set up for about 4 months a a volunteer in different parks and have a small unit, wind and sea sickness is a factor and I have frame X braces plus blocks, My slide is cable drive and it needs a little help. Thus my braces. And I always have air in my tires and do proper maintenance to the unit. So if you like the wobble, and feeling of a boat when walking to the back, so be it. MY 2 p
Chuck
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
We've had several TT's over the past 15 years all with slides, never supported any of them and never a slide problem,
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Not to worry. No matter how much sense something makes, there will be those that disagree...

I could say the sky is blue, and someone would be along shortly to say "no, it's green"

Visiting this forum for advice, well you just gotta take all the info that is given, then use your OWN BS meter to determine which is correct.
:B
ScottG wrote:
Hey!
We all agreed on something!!! :B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
While it is true that slides were not designed for use with external supports, given the amount of rocking as my slide goes in or out I am not particularly worried about it's precision fit.

Like many RV issues, one should be aware of the potential problems an act accordingly. The fact that a TT can shift would not be too high on my list are most of the CGs it stay at. However, there were a few "slight grade" site in KY I would question.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
X6? I think.

At one time they were used on the early tip outs. But as was said, today's slides are self supporting.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Hey!
We all agreed on something!!! :B

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Great advice.

Not going to use them.

Tom
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slide outs are 'self supporting' and are NOT intended to be a means of stabilizing the RV.
Ever wonder why RV MFGs do NOT include them....or even offer them :H

Remember.........
Just because something is available via aftermarket does NOT mean it is worth while, functional, an improvement or even needed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
X3 or 4 or what ever.
Lifting the slide in its opening can be catastrophic and no manufacturer suggests using them.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
CAUTION!!!
Most if not all TT manufacturers expressly forbid the use of slide stabilizers.

The reason is simple. If the TT settles for any reason (soft ground under the TT jacks, or tires, or a tire with a slow leak etc.) the TT will lower, but the slides with their added supports will not be able to lower with the TT.
This will put tremendous pressure on the slides and the TT slide opening. SERIOUS EXPENSIVE damage is highly likely.

X2!
Slides are not only supported by the rails underneath the interior trim frame.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
CAUTION!!!
Most if not all TT manufacturers expressly forbid the use of slide stabilizers.

The reason is simple. If the TT settles for any reason (soft ground under the TT jacks, or tires, or a tire with a slow leak etc.) the TT will lower, but the slides with their added supports will not be able to lower with the TT.
This will put tremendous pressure on the slides and the TT slide opening. SERIOUS EXPENSIVE damage is highly likely.

2x!!! Don't use them. Keep any and all stablizers under the main frame of the camper.