cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide outs

Tinbangertom
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick question about slides , are we supposed to grease them as a yearly maintenance? thx. sometimes on battery only back slide does'nt want to open
:h Tom
:Z Laura
2020 Momentum 29G
2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
9 REPLIES 9

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would refer to your owners manual. I believe Jayco, for example, does NOT recommend and grease or lubricants on the mechanism. The only maintenance is keeping the roof clean and the seals properly lubricated.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I look up my slide manual and it said no maintenance except to lube the boots and seals to keep them flexible.

It is a small slide and seems to run on a couple of cog rails.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it plugged in until you have it slid too. I use a checklist and the last thing I do is unplug the shore power or ground service or 120 or whatever then put the door handle up and the steps in and check everything in my walkabout. I missed the door handle 2 X so far in 3 years. Pilots ahve checklists for areason.

Tinbangertom
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking about the 3/4 inch threaded rod and thx. all I meant lubricant as well
:h Tom
:Z Laura
2020 Momentum 29G
2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Grease......NO

Lube......OK if you use a dry graphite or silicone spray.

This is what I was intending to say, of course. Thanks for clarifying for the OP. I was using the term "grease" generally, when I perhaps should have said "lubricate". ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a Lippert rack and pinion type slide (rack and pinion under the slideout) and 2 Schwintek slides and last time I got my can of lubricant out I applied it to the rack and pinion under the Lippert slide no problem. The RV Doctor suggests that "All slideouts are designed for minimal maintenance" but "All slideout mechanisms require periodic lubrication. It is recommended to always use a dry lube, though some coachbuilders recommend a light grease such as lithium grease be applied." He recommends "Protect All Slide-out Dry Lube Protectant, available at Camping World", which is what I have.

The Schwintek has the tracks on the sides of the slideout, top and bottom, and they are nice and clean so I decided to postpone spraying these until I investigate further on how to cleanly apply the lubricant. Thanks to this thread I have just investigated further and Lippert has a good video on lubricating the Schwintek slides. Note that they use CRC Powerlube with PTFE "only" which has the following characteristics, among others:

- Contains PTFE for long-lasting protection
- Withstands extreme load carrying situations
- Displaces moisture and seals out corrosion

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grease......NO

Lube......OK if you use a dry graphite or silicone spray

Grease gums up, attracts dirt and then grease/grit act like sandpaper.

But it does depend on type/style of slide out mechanism. Our hydraulic rack/drive gear..mfg. says no lube..just brush down with wire brush.

What kind of slide mechanism and which mfg. of slides do you have?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Tinbangertom wrote:
Just a quick question about slides , are we supposed to grease them as a yearly maintenance? thx. sometimes on battery only back slide does'nt want to open

You can't over grease mechanical parts that contact one another other than brakes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes - go for it. Grease them at least yearly, more often as they need it. There is specific lubricants for slide mechanisms.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
And yes, they should be greased. Methods are different depending on type so just find & follow manufacturer's recommendation. I have an electric Lippert slide & all I do is spray a slide lubricant on the support arms 3 or 4 times a year.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Battery fully charged? Slides operate from the batteries, even when plugged to shore power. If battery is weak, slides most likely will not function properly.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."