cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small gas tank beef

oscar243
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else have a beef with the truck makers installing small (21-26 gal.) gas tanks in half ton trucks? Had a '07 (4.7 liter)Ram with a 36 gallon tank, traded in for a '16 Ram (with 5.7 Hemi) and it has a 26 gal. tank. We were stopping for fuel every 1 1/2 hours on our trip to Florida. Can't understand their logic. Local Dodge dealer will put a 32 gallon tank on for $1500-$2000.
74 REPLIES 74

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
Does everyone realize they are responding to a 4 year old thread?

Still relevant 4 years later.

Yeah, I still hate the chintzy little fuel tanks that most trucks come with....hasn't changed since 2017, or 1987 for that fact, when GM introduced the new GMT 400s for 1988 with only a single, smaller, tank vs 20gal saddle tanks!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:

Still relevant 4 years later.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:

No harm no foul. All is good

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab came from the factory with a 32 gallon gas tank. Maybe it was standard for that year model.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
NO beef at all for me. I bought the correct truck with the correct tank for me. I get about 350 miles towing before I have to fuel. Pretty much a days driving for me.

This!

I guess one should shop for correct fuel tanks and then take whatever truck is attached. Others have the ability to improve their trucks to meet their needs.

Those that use a tow vehicle for something other than an interstate queen can appreciate a larger than stock size tank.

What not to like? 😉 I shopped for the correct everything! 😉

I got a 35 gallon tank in my truck which I like.
I got an LBZ diesel engine in my truck which I like.
I got an Allie tranny in my truck.

Just think; some misfortunate people bought a 6.oh with a 26 gallon tank. I feel sorry for some peoples choices. :B

What is an Allie transmission? Did you mean an Allison? Allison is the word, and name of the manufacturer. Allison, not Allis, not son,nor any other combination of letters. ALLISON. unless you have an intimate personal relationship with your transmission which allows the use of diminutive pet names. The correct term for a tranny would be transexual.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
oscar243 wrote:
... '16 Ram (with 5.7 Hemi) and it has a 26 gal. tank. We were stopping for fuel every 1 1/2 hours on our trip to Florida. Can't understand their logic.

How bad is the MPG if you have to stop that often for fuel?

At 6 mpg that would be 150 miles, if you ran it to empty. If you ran it down to 6 gallons left that would be your 1- 1 1/2 hours depending on what you are towing!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loved the 35 gallon tank in my 97 Dodge conv van. And even better was the 44 gallon in my 02 V-10 Excursion. Now I have an 80 gal tank in the class A.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
oscar243 wrote:
... '16 Ram (with 5.7 Hemi) and it has a 26 gal. tank. We were stopping for fuel every 1 1/2 hours on our trip to Florida. Can't understand their logic.

How bad is the MPG if you have to stop that often for fuel?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
oscar243 wrote:
Anyone else have a beef with the truck makers installing small (21-26 gal.) gas tanks in half ton trucks? Had a '07 (4.7 liter)Ram with a 36 gallon tank, traded in for a '16 Ram (with 5.7 Hemi) and it has a 26 gal. tank. We were stopping for fuel every 1 1/2 hours on our trip to Florida. Can't understand their logic. Local Dodge dealer will put a 32 gallon tank on for $1500-$2000.

One of the resons i got a bigger truck. The Florida trip did me in, between the kido needing the bathroom or food and fuel, we were stoping every hour. This year will be diffrent!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
With Ram 1500 trucks there is the option of ordering the truck with a 33 gallon gas tank. With Ford F-150 there is the option of getting a 36 gallon gas tank. Toyota Tundra trucks come standard with 38 gallon gas tanks. It is only with Chevy 1500 trucks where a customer is stuck with a 24 gallon gas tank.

Federal regs do not allow swapping out a factory gas tank for a larger aftermarket gas tank. OK with diesel but not with gas. So the larger tank needs to be installed at the factory.

Ford and Ram stick it to their customers by requiring a truck ordered with the larger gas tank to also have options packages. Ram for example charges $445 for the larger gas tank but also requires its customers to buy one of two options packages at a cost of $1,300 or $2,500. So the larger gas tank on the Ram 1500 requires spending at least an additional $1,745.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
buck n duck wrote:
Just got a new 2021 Ram 3500 with a 50 gallon tank!!!

This is the ONE improvement in the pseudo 5th Gen Rams that is actually an improvement, IMO. Too bad the short bed trucks can't get somma that love though!

I'm sure it was posted earlier in this old, exhumed from the grave thread, but the little 26-31 (up to 35-36) gal tanks on big HD trucks that have been the norm for the last 20-30 years absolutely s ucks.

Even my 1986 GMC has 40gal of capacity!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
My 7.3 diesel F350 CC, LB, DRW has a range over 900 miles due to using aux tank. I filled up yesterday on a trip to another city for $2.999 a gallon due to the option of being able to select the right station in my travel. Locally fuel cost $3.159-$3.299. Small tanks cost more to operate due to fewer choices and higher prices.

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new 2021 Ram 3500 with a 50 gallon tank!!!
Brian