cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snow chances for Denver/ lower Idaho late September

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know the probability of snow for Denver and surrounding areas including lower Idaho for the last week of September and first week of October?
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC
10 REPLIES 10

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
We have been doing a last week of September camping trip to South Park Colorado for the last five years and havenโ€™t had any snow. Itโ€™s a great time to see the fall colors and enjoy the cool evenings; our favorite spot for this trip is at 10,500โ€™ elevation. Even if we got a little snow it would be gone in a day or two.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We also need to know why snow matters to the OP. Snow isn't necessarily a bad thing.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see Idaho as a "surrounding area" for Denver. Possibly the OP means Idaho Springs, CO? Clarification needed here. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Lower Idaho? You mean SE Highlands, Snake river valley or Sawtooths? These are all different zones that can have very different climes that time of year. First snow in SE highlands is generally late October but the first frosts can hit anytime late September onward. Snake River valley is typically a couple weeks behind the highlands but not as a rule.
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
September snow in the lower elevations of Idaho is pretty rare. In southwest Idaho, our first measurable snow is generally late November to December. We did manage to have a white Christmas this year.

Historically, things were a bit different. We moved to central Idaho in 1981. Granted, that is high elevation. We had snow every month but August that year...not enough to stick in the off months, but even a skiff counted!

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
I lived at 8000 ft. West of Colorado Springs and usually 1 or 2 light dusting in September. I got back from vacation on 1st weekend of October in 2011 to a 1 footer. That was unusual. September is my favorite month to camp in Colorado. Cannot speak for Idaho.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
We did Colorado sight seeing all thru the Rockies last late Sept/ Early October and had beautiful weather and no snow. Made it as high as 13,185 Mosquito Pass. Every year will be different though.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Used to live just South in Colorado Springs. Sept almost 0 chance of snow. But Oct., very likely and possible. In fact, it's almost an institutional thing to expect a dusting of snow by Halloween. Denver is slightly lower in elev., so less likely, but there's always that weird system that might move through early in the season. I wouldn't be too concerned.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
In Denver it is a possibility but low. If it did it would more than likely be one of those here today gone tomorrow. Snow history is 1 inch for September and 4.2 inches for October
http://www.thorntonweather.com/noaa/snow.php shows snow history
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Weather websites have historical data.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman