cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something I just noticed about GMs new truck mirrors.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Those new mirrors are mounted in a way that creates more visibility next to the pillar. If you compare with other trucks you will see how open it is for the driver to see through. I think the New heavy dutys will really have even m ore visibility. No big shroud in the way where you could loose a small car in on a left . This is just my opinion, but would love hear if anyone agrees??
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Do people really pass over a truck based on how the fender wells are shaped? From 83 to 93 the Ford Ranger had the same wheel well design and they sold large numbers of those trucks. And those Ram trucks with the dumbo ear mirrors can be seen regularly too. Most consumers overlook those controversial design decisions.

It is a known fact that GM trucks generally can't fit as big of tires apples to ap,Es compared to the others becasue the shell wells are more squared off. It's old banter just like ram moose mirrors.
But mostly only on this website have I seen people be adimant or in fact about their criticisms. Has something to do with the genre of members here.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the new HD truck from Chevy. It’s grown on me a bit. I also don’t see the square fenders. Squares use straight lines. I do not see straight lines at all. Not sure what the complaint is there.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Do people really pass over a truck based on how the fender wells are shaped? From 83 to 93 the Ford Ranger had the same wheel well design and they sold large numbers of those trucks. And those Ram trucks with the dumbo ear mirrors can be seen regularly too. Most consumers overlook those controversial design decisions.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Those new mirrors are mounted in a way that creates more visibility next to the pillar. If you compare with other trucks you will see how open it is for the driver to see through. I think the New heavy dutys will really have even m ore visibility. No big shroud in the way where you could loose a small car in on a left . This is just my opinion, but would love hear if anyone agrees??

no to me what I see is design guys looking at a truck and then realizing they forgot to add mirrors.

"let's just stick 'em on the doors...no one will notice."

it's a design flaw, you know like square wheel wells ...

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Those new mirrors are mounted in a way that creates more visibility next to the pillar.

Which "new" mirrors? In other words, on what body style / year of GM truck?

I have no idea what new mirrors the OP is talking about.
My last 3 GM's have had power adjustable and heated camper mirrors that extend out about 5" or so and have the convex lower mirror. They are large and don't leave any blind spots. Never have any visibility problem with them.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Those new mirrors are mounted in a way that creates more visibility next to the pillar.

Which "new" mirrors? In other words, on what body style / year of GM truck?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at the 2018 vs 2020 mirrors on the 2500HDs, the way the mirror is mounted at the pillar is different. It looks like they are trying to reduce the obstruction toward the front of the truck created by the mounting. I'd have to drive both to see a difference.

Love the rear coverage provided by the mirrors on my F250 but they do create a big blind spot forward of them. I'm used to it now but trying to teach my daughter to drive and getting her used to them (and turning her head like you do in a car) is a bit challenging.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure what you are talking about, Ford HD mirrors have been mounted on thin rails, top and bottom that you can see in between, especially when they are extended. Less air resistance that way too.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I guess I don’t see that. The mirrors on my F350 are great, both the flat mirrors and the convex. And no way do they even begin to hide a car of any size beside me. Or even a motorcycle.