cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Space Heater

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We use a small 1500W ceramic space heater that is not adequate. Today we looked a Lowes and saw a much larger heater, but is was also only 1500W. So my question is what kind of heater would be better. I know we could use the propane furnace, but prefer to not have to when we have electric hook-ups.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS
107 REPLIES 107

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nope, I run 100% electric heat at -34 f. My peak load is 7700 watts. I distribute the heat through the duct work by replacing the cold air return with twin window fans. I've added 2 auxiliary shore power cables, so my supply is 30 amp OEM, 20 amp, and 15 amp. I keep the propane furnace on but at a low temperature just in case there is a power outage.

I use electric heated carpets, oil filled heaters, a radiant heater as a back up should something need to be thawed, a fan heater, an electric mattress pad, and some "heat bars" (only 50 watts) next to the water pump.

rhagfo wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Cferguson and one person mentioned a solution to running 100% electric heat.

Well I was likely the one using 100% electric, using the RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat. This an add-on to the gas furnace, so heat is distributed the same way. On a 30 amp service I get 1,800 watts (6,138 btu)of heat, on a 50 amp service I get 5,000 watts of heat (17,050 btu) the 50 amp is running on 220 volts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:

Well I was likely the one using 100% electric, using the RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat. This an add-on to the gas furnace, so heat is distributed the same way. On a 30 amp service I get 1,800 watts (6,138 btu)of heat, on a 50 amp service I get 5,000 watts of heat (17,050 btu) the 50 amp is running on 220 volts.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:

Personally to me, folks attempting to use only electric to heat a RV at a campground are abusing the campground owners good will and there are many places that recognize that abuse and charge more or may have meters..

Don't be so blasted cheap and ruin the goodwill for others by abusing the system.
'

I couldn't DISAGREE MORE ... GOOD WILL ... GIVE ME A BREAK. I pay for a site with either 30 or 50A service and generally it's 50A which often costs more than 30A and for that I have every right to use what I have paid for and that is 30 or 50A. During cold days I run up to 2 1500W heaters and supplement that with the gas furnace, mainly to ensure the enclosed underbelly area is heated to prevent things from freezing up.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
For the most part I donโ€™t think the people doing that with a 30 amp service is stealing. I think what there try to do is keep from tripping there 30 amp breaker at times. I know on my old 5th wheel it was a 30 amp. If the a/c was on and say the coffee pot maybe the water heater then someone used the microwave it would trip the breaker unless one was turned off for the time the microwave was used. I think the majority is just trying to prevent that from happening.
When that happens, they are using more than the 30 amps they are paying for.:S
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

bazar01
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
So whatโ€™s the difference in running a heat pump that a lot of rvโ€™s have today and people using a 1500 watt electric heater? I guess people with the heat pumps is not abusing the system and people using a space heater is?

My 12,000 btu/hr mini split heat pump I installed only draws about 10 amps on a 120V power. Then the amperage drops as the room temperature gets closer to thermostat set point.
Heat output is about 3x the electrical power input and super quiet too.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
While watts may create the same amt of heat the big difference between heaters is distribution, sound, and quality of the thermostat. The quietest heater is likely the oil filled radiator type - love them but they often require a fan to distribute the heat and they are kinda bulky. Most of the inexpensive heaters you find at Walmart etc have fans that are either loud and/or so pathetic that the heat builds up near the heater which triggers the thermostat to shut off while the rig is still freezing cold.

I have used a boatload of heaters over the years. I currently use a Vornado which has sufficient air power to distribute heat quickly to the rest of the rig. It's not as quiet as advertised but it's OK. My runner up is to buy two cheapo Walmart specials and set them to "LOW" and place one in the front/back. If you these inexpensive heaters on low the heat will likely not build up enough near the heater to trigger the thermostat to shut off prematurely.
Kevin

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, 5 pages in and only one person has pointed out that not using the furnace just may endanger your water tanks and lines. Sure on some RVs it wont matter, but on many others it certainly does.
Pennywise and pound foolish?

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 of these (1500W ea.) that I got on sale about 3 years ago. Heaters Less than $20 each. We run these in Alaska unless temps are well below freezing and DO NOT have dedicated circuits, although each heater is on a separate circuit breaker protected circuit. In addition DW has a very small under desk type electric heater for the small half bath. In addition, we run a glove and boot drier when necessary. Boot drier. Have never popped a CB and when temps get very cold the standard rear LP heat takes care of the underdeck and tanks along with a 100W incandescent bulb in the wet bay.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
So whatโ€™s the difference in running a heat pump that a lot of rvโ€™s have today and people using a 1500 watt electric heater? I guess people with the heat pumps is not abusing the system and people using a space heater is?

at least heat pumps are way more efficient that resistance heating. I don't know about RV heat pumps but home heat pumps/AC units typically get 3x or more the heat than resistance heating, With a SEER of 15, you get 15BTU/watt, or aboutt 4x resistance heating.

No this does NOT violate any thermodynamic laws, a heat pump does just that it moves heat from one location to another. (outside to inside or vice versa.)
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I think 1500 is the max but not sure if one with a larger surface actually puts out more heat or not. We like the Vornado which was top rated by Consumer Reports. The fan is always running to keep even heat but an adjustable thermostat varies the heat output. The air is warm and never hot to the touch. Expensive but comes in various models and styles. It heats our 30 foot MH down to possibly 30ish. Some big box stores or on line Once our switch broke so I sent it to the manufacturer and it's been good now for years.
Jayco-noslide

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
cougar28 wrote:
Heat pumps generally move twice the BTU per kWh. Although this can vary depending on conditions.

1500w space heater puts 5,200 BTU in the RV.
1500w heat pump puts 10,400+ BTU in the RV.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
What elect. People use to heat is offset by lower pool costs. Running a huge pump all swimming season and added chemicals is expensive. The cooler months the pump runs less if at all and the chemical costs go way down. Just in time for electricity costs to go up. Business owners keep what it costs to operate and charge accordingly.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
junmy3 wrote:
We use a small 1500W ceramic space heater that is not adequate. Today we looked a Lowes and saw a much larger heater, but is was also only 1500W. So my question is what kind of heater would be better. I know we could use the propane furnace, but prefer to not have to when we have electric hook-ups.

I feel the same way and I do not think I am stealing electricity unless the campground specifically asks or says not to use electric heat. We use a small ceramic heater that we use in conjunction with the propane furnace when needed.
Most campgrounds we have stayed in do not have a price difference for 50 amp vs. 30 amp service. Usually the pedestal has both as well as a 15 amp outlet.
Obviously, if there was a problem, the owners would do something about it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
cougar28 wrote:
So whatโ€™s the difference in running a heat pump that a lot of rvโ€™s have today and people using a 1500 watt electric heater?

No real difference in my opinion.

Heat Pump upgrade I did last year on my truck camper. It will cook you out of the rig, as long as the outside temp is above 35-38 degrees or so. Below that, the heat pump won't work very well... which is normal for most heat pumps.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator