cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare Tire Rack Failure - Third trip out with new RV.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings friends,

I'm not posting this to rant as much as to make some of you aware of a potential safety issue. I took our new Cherokee 274rfk out this week for its third trip since we purchased it. I stopped for lunch and after lunch did my walk-around as I do at every stop and noticed that the spare tire was sitting at an angle and looked like it was ready to fall off.

The rectangular tubing in the center of the cargo rack is pretty thin and the spare tire bracket is welded to this piece of tubing in two places. The metal in the rack had failed and the upper weld had torn completely loose and the bottom weld was just about ready to let go. I removed the spare, then I moved the bracket up and down twice and the bottom weld also let go and the bracket came completely loose in my hand. I'm just thankful that it somehow held until I made my lunch stop

The tire size is a ST225/75 R15 load range E tire so the tire and wheel are pretty heavy. The tubing to which the spare tire bracket was welded just isn't strong enough to hold the weight of the spare tire as configured at the factory. That heavy wheel and tire would have been a serious safety hazard had it come loose. To a lesser extent, had it not hit anyone, I still would have lost an expensive wheel and brand-new tire. I sent pictures and a write-up to Forest River Customer Service this evening to make them aware of the problem.

I'm not going to try to repair the bracket as I don't trust the cargo tray to hold the spare. I've ordered a BAL 28217 spare tire carrier that mounts to the frame and carries the spare underneath the travel trailer.

I just wanted to pass this along. When doing the inspection of your travel trailer, be sure and check the condition of the bracket holding the spare tire. I had a really close call!

Update 7/7/19 Here's a picture of the spare tire rack failure (you may have to copy and paste these links into your browser to view the pictures):

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/65965887_10219229763593288_197844752207446016_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQnV8KA9WkV6nuPwpleqG3IupZC4UaII83D-EDiHhaMhj8tEO9qlDeurCZBfzwQEAOY&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=c3e8172c327caf03ae2d3c53c735058a&oe=5DC1B2D1

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/66114529_10219230301606738_903535405385646080_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQkU105gB9U28HkSpWF3nHLGDuElKcVtKha9GM0De1kqn_DjQkdMfjQE-t_ZTT-2eq0&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=bbf46042b4db8230fad41f03d8bfaf2c&oe=5DBEDB4F

Bill J., Lexington, KY

Update 7/11 This morning we toured the Forest River Cherokee plant where our travel trailer was made. The spare tire bracket on all of the new units we saw had been changed to a new and better design. The kind of failure we experienced will not happen with the new design.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.
21 REPLIES 21

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
The link just takes me to a sales page.

Simply scroll thru the photos till you see it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The link just takes me to a sales page.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
I believe he is talking about this type of spare tire carrier and not the typical bumper mounted one.

I don't see a spare
One issue is a bumper that is cheap enough to put on a RV, and strong enough to hold a mounted tire bouncing that far behind the axle would be heavy. And adding weight at the very back of a trailer is never a good thing...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I believe he is talking about this type of spare tire carrier and not the typical bumper mounted one.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately that is pretty common. Mine was a bolt on on the bumper. It too almost fell off. The metal the bumper is made of basically ripped. Like you I caught just before it fell completely off. Itโ€™s been the same practice for years. I guess there will have to be a fatality and a huge law suit before the manufacturers put a strong enough bumper on them to handle the load. I put a frame mount
bal on mine and itโ€™s great.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good reminder.
Pretty common problem over the years.

My last trailer had LT235/85-16 E. The spare was a bolt (clamp around) on the bumper tube.
To keep someone from borrowing the spare and keep it attached to the tube bumper I use a security chain through the wheel and around the tube...just in case the nuts work loose... or someone with a wrench plays a bad trick.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œdid my walk-around as I do at every stopโ€

So easy to do, so few do it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad