cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spray oil underneath truck

akronharry
Explorer
Explorer
Want to spray the bottom of my 2005 Ford with motor oil. I have a gravel drive and keeping my truck on it is not great and it is beginning to get surface rust. Can I use 5w30 through my garden sprayer. SHould I heat it up first?
ANyone ever do this? Thanks in advacne.
39 REPLIES 39

akronharry
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Double posted.... Jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I made the mistake of spraying diluted bulk engine oil to the underside of my 2 year old '64 one ton DRW flatbed Jimmy. The truck was used to pull trailers in and out of unpaved work sites. Man what a mess with all the dirt mixed with oil.
Doing any kind of maintenance under side would result in lots of black on my cloths.
After a couple of times under side I took the truck by a steam cleaner. I sure wouldn't recommend spraying oil under a vehicle if its traveling dirt/gravel roads.
We have about 6 miles of gravel road getting out in one direction. I've found under coating eliminates rust issues/noise to the body and frame. This part of the country isn't in the salt belt.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
akronharry wrote:
Not too worried about regulatory agencies. Just want to know if it works.

Used oil is acidic up to you
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

akronharry
Explorer
Explorer
I have minor surface rust on the frame. The body has a little rust which will sand and try POR. I did buy "Fluid Film" and will apply when the weather hits 40 or above.
My biggest issue is that I have a gravel driveway and the truck is used once a week or so. I'm thinking of laying down heave plastic over garvel to help reduce water condensation. I know it is not a perfect solution, but really have no oter choices.

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
I'd take the rust any day over 115 F.

Being happy and comfortable makes life worth living and besides, I can replace a rusted vehicle any time however, I'll only have one life!

Some vehicles rust and rust thru so much faster than others and it's so obvious as to the difference when you put them on a hoist and look it over!

LOL

Yeah summers can be tough here but as far as comfortable, I'll take endless sun and 65-70F out here in Dec-Jan-Feb over what's available in other parts of the country!

It's all a compromise; when I lived in the Midwest and the East Coast, I enjoyed spring/summer/fall and tolerated winter. Out here, we enjoy spring/fall/winter and tolerate summer.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing that I have found is just plain flat out keeping it clean. Every vehicle I have owned with undercoating rusted faster than ones without. I have a 1998 Chevy with 340,000 mile on it that has seen evey Minnesota winter along with gravel roads since new. The rocker panels are now rusted as well as the bottom of the doors and that is it. Frame has surface rust, but it is 16 years old.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
akronharry wrote:
Can I use 5w30 through my garden sprayer.
You mean attached to a hose? Where does the water go?

And I can't imagine doing this sans hoist.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The road tube on my Cummins diesel does this each mile I travel automatically!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's an older truck. Hard to know what surface rust is...without seeing it. In some cases 'surface' rust could be the harbinger of more rust underneath metal...yet unseen.

I have my vehicles Ziebarted...but when they're new. I think they do older vehicles.

Might be an idea to talk to a bodyman first...to see if it's worth it at this stage.

I don't know if spraying the underside of your truck with oil will help the truck.

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer

Get some of this: POR15
It's popular with hot-rodders. Use flat black and brush, or spray, it on. Lasts a lifetime.

A little goes a long way if you brush it. It coats over rust (POR = paint over rust) because minor rust doesn't matter if it stops now, and most all paints initially stick to it just fine. The difference is that most paints, including intact auto finishes, Rustoleum, etc, allow water to penetrate their micro-porous surface and encourage rust to continue. POR15 is truly water-proof. The advantage to painting over rust (POR15) is that it takes very little prep, just knock the loose stuff off. What resists being easily brushed off is good enough to stick to. POR15 sticks better to rusty surfaces than smooth, so a de-glosser may be in order for present intact frame paint.

The downside is that other paint doesn't stick to dry POR15 very easily, and it fades if exposed to sunlight. But that is perfect for undercoat (in the shade). It's made of urethane and is very similar to the E-coat that all auto manufacturers now use to rust proof the new rust prone, thin, high-carbon body steels on cars. They should be using it on frames, too. These urethanes are similar to an epoxy, but only one part systems. Once the can is opened, they need to be used, as shelf life is drastically reduced.

Remember the silver, blue and white cars of the late '80's and early '90's that peeled? The prolific body rust was well stopped, but paint suppliers were wrong when they said that these specific colors would stick without a special primer. They didn't stick. And if you ever saw the paint lift, the E-coat was dark gray until the sun turned it light gray... faded. But never rusty.

This ultra-tough type coating is highly resistant to rock chips and can be beat out of shape with a ball-peen hammer and still adhere. Check out the web site. There are other urethane brands that are similar, Eastwood coming to mind.

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
travelnutz wrote:

Being happy and comfortable makes life worth living and besides, I can replace a rusted vehicle any time however, I'll only have one life!

Some vehicles rust and rust thru so much faster than others and it's so obvious as to the difference when you put them on a hoist and look it over!

Then why am I surrounded by "Snowbirds" already? :h
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a thought:

Move to Phoenix and never worry about it again!

:B

(Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

On a serious note, though, just bought a 14yr old Land Cruiser without a speck of rust anywhere. For vehicle enthusiasts, it's a little bonus of living out here and putting up with 115F temps in the summer.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment