cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabilization Bar

Caleb_O
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. We just bought our first TT (Rockwood Ultra Lite) and are wondering which stabilization hitch to go with. The gentleman at the dealer gave us two options - a two-way hitch (that eliminates up-down sway) and a four-way hitch (that eliminates both up-down and side-to-side). We're willing to pay extra for the four-way (such as an Equalizer), but are wondering if the difference is noticeable/worth it? The dealer said with the two-way we'd feel it when a semi passed us (and get a "white knuckle" feeling briefly), but didn't necessarily think the four-way hitch was worth the extra money. I'm curious as to what you guys think. Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I'm not explaining this well or using incorrect terminology. As I mentioned, we're newbies!
38 REPLIES 38

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
At an RV show, I asked a Equal-i-zer representative to explain the 4 different points of sway control on a system that was on display, he couldn't do it.

I'd bet just a hired hand for the local RV show ... anything any prospective owner needs to know about how the Equal-i-zer works is on their website.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
At an RV show, I asked a Equal-i-zer representative to explain the 4 different points of sway control on a system that was on display, he couldn't do it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
The sales guy needs to go back to hitch training school if he's calling them "stabilization" hitches, and "2-way" or "4-way" hitches.

In many years of RVing and reading countless forums, I've never heard those terms used to describe hitches.

This time of year - late winter to early spring - must be any dealer's favourite as they see yet another new batch of newbies flood into their dealerships to look through all the shiny, new trailers without having the foggiest idea what this sport is actually all about, what is important, what isn't, but especially what the terminology is and what it means. :R In a perfect world every newbie would have to spend some time here on the forums before ever setting foot in any dealership ... but of course that's not how the world works. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
1. dealer is a moron
2. Chandne is going to be way out of my comfort zone
3. you shouldn't have much trouble. id go with a basic weight distributing hitch and a separate friction sway bar (same as I have for my f150 and 4500lb prowler 19E)
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
The sales guy needs to go back to hitch training school if he's calling them "stabilization" hitches, and "2-way" or "4-way" hitches.

In many years of RVing and reading countless forums, I've never heard those terms used to describe hitches.
Bob

Caleb_O
Explorer
Explorer
The TT is 5400 pounds dry and 6600 fully loaded. I have a 150 5.4 V8. Thanks for all the comments so far!

Frankly
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say how big your trailer is, and that could influence your decision. Basically, the bigger it is the more you need maximum control. I have a load equalizing hitch and a separate sway control for my 29' trailer. I would not take it 10 miles without it. I did drive it home from the lot, but I told my DW that would be the last trip without it (8 miles). The 4 way hitch is the cadillac, but I believe it has a slight disadvantage over what I have, if you encounter slick roads. The lateral sway control should be released on slick roads, and the 4 way control may be difficult to eliminate the lateral control without removing the vertical control also?
Jerry
2016 Gulfstream Ameri Lite 268BH
2006 Ford Expedition

Chandne
Explorer
Explorer
I am picking up a Lance 1575 on Saturday and based on the advice here, I am getting the Equal-i-zer! I think it will be a good investment. I am pulling with a 2005 V8 4Runner with a 7,000lb towing capacity and a weight-distributing hitch that can take a tongue weight of around 1,100 lbs, if I remember correctly.

Th dealer said I would probably be okay with just a simple sway control. I wasn't sure so I guess I will err on the side of caution since the 4Runner does have a relatively short wheelbase.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
What you're talking about is a weight distribution system and some like the Equal-i-zer include sway control as a function of the design so no separate friction sway bar is required. It would help if you provided details as to just which vehicle you intend to tow with and the specific trailer you've purchased. For many situations though you couldn't really go wrong with an Equal-i-zer.