cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable-lift ?

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are considering having a stable-lift system installed on our 2014 Livin Lite 8.6 truck camper. Since we love to boondock on public lands, we are looking for a solution that will allow us to easily remove the truck camper while we are camping on uneven/unstable ground. The 4 wobbly jacks on our TC are too scary for us to use in these circumstances, but we do love to have the truck available for exploring while boondocking. We are currently considering trading in the TC for a travel trailer for this very reason. Obviously, installing a stable-lift will be cheaper than the money we would lose on trading in the TC and buying a travel trailer.

Does anyone have the Stable-lift system and if yes, how is the performance on uneven ground?
How about taking it off on forest land, desert ... does it sink in case of heavy rains?

Regarding potential negatives of the product: I'm aware of the difficulty to install (while reading up on the product); I would find a shop to install them. I'm also aware of the reduced ground clearance.

Thanks,

Jorn
60 REPLIES 60

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wayne.. You need to tell your 'wheeling' buds that your short wheelbase makes up for ground clearance. I've never seen a Sam high centered in anything....

Engine wise is another story.....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
woodhog wrote:
They look like they have poor ground clearance, any problems with
running them high and dry on rough road conditions?
I'm not sure exactly what "poor ground clearance" is. I have a lifted Suzuki Samurai I run through the Rubicon Trail. Some of my wheeling buddies with monster wheelers say it has poor ground clearance. Whatever clearence your truck now has would be reduced by about 3 inches. As I previously posted, it is made of thick steel tubing, not thin wall like jacks. It is seriously bolted on, no screws. As I recall, the jack only have about 18 inches of travel so you would have to work with that. I would not recommend the lift for a serious off road vehicle.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
notsobigjoe, any particular reason for mounting the single jack on the passenger side? Does the two jack side cause problems with the fuel filler?

Wayne

Mont peters said I should have the two jacks under the heavy side. The fridge is in the slide as well as the batteries are all on that side. Most would have installed it the correct way but he said I and a couple of others were the exception. It was a little tricky in the beginning being on the wrong side and all. Over time it became normal. I have no problems with it anymore.
I am not sure there is a correct way. I did not think of the weight factor, but it does make sense. Depending on which jacks they are using, I think they are about 3000 LBS each. When I install mine on my DRW I will take another look at the weight issue. I think I am okay with the single jack on the driver side.

Don't understimate how rough the terrain can be for the Stable Lift. It is not a graded road only system. Even though it reduces the ground clearance about 3 inches, it is not made of thin wall tubing like the four jack systems, nor is it installed with lag screws or bolts. On a DRW truck, you will be at a 102" width (maybe 104 inches) as I recall. Right at maximum legal width.

Unless you have or have had one use caution reaching conclusions as to what it will or will not do. No question, it is not for everyone.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
SidecarFlip wrote:
It is interesting but would never work for me. I look for places where the road ends....Camping for me on my property in Northern Michigan, getting in is so tight (on a seasonal 2 track 4wd road) that, if I met someone coming the opposite way, one of us would have to back up a long way and it wouldn't be me because I'm usually pulling a trailer with my quads on board.

It's so tight that first trip up in the spring is a chainsaw / tree saw excursion. I have to cut my way in just to clear the sides of the camper.

Why I sold my Lance HS and bought a pop up. Overhead clearance is just as bad (tight) as side clearance. First (and only time) I took the Lance up there, I spent a couple hours in the bed of my cousin's RAM with a pole saw, cutting off limbs just so I could get in. I like to camp in the forest but it comes with a price.

Getting back to the OP' first post, they were looking at the system to use off road on sand and it forested conditions, probably not as dense as what I have but, will it work in that situation? You say you camp on concrete, asphalt or hard packed dirt. I don't think they do or at least they didn't allude to that in their original post....

Sidecar, I hear you! For the first seventeen years of my life my dad used to drag me up to hunting camp in the Catskills... I liked it at first when I was young but then it became less of a hunting trip and more of a beer drinking trip with his buds from the army. By the time I was seventeen I absolutely despised it!!! As far as the OP's question, I just wouldn't know.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is interesting but would never work for me. I look for places where the road ends....Camping for me on my property in Northern Michigan, getting in is so tight (on a seasonal 2 track 4wd road) that, if I met someone coming the opposite way, one of us would have to back up a long way and it wouldn't be me because I'm usually pulling a trailer with my quads on board.

It's so tight that first trip up in the spring is a chainsaw / tree saw excursion. I have to cut my way in just to clear the sides of the camper.

Why I sold my Lance HS and bought a pop up. Overhead clearance is just as bad (tight) as side clearance. First (and only time) I took the Lance up there, I spent a couple hours in the bed of my cousin's RAM with a pole saw, cutting off limbs just so I could get in. I like to camp in the forest but it comes with a price.

Getting back to the OP' first post, they were looking at the system to use off road on sand and it forested conditions, probably not as dense as what I have but, will it work in that situation? You say you camp on concrete, asphalt or hard packed dirt. I don't think they do or at least they didn't allude to that in their original post....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
woodhog wrote:

I would like a system on our ordinary jacks that allow them to swing
horizontal when travelling, these are even lower.

The truck is lowered. So, yes they are lower on mine than an ordinary dually. I have yet to have a single problem. The system is still higher than my differential. Also, it's important to realize that when the road ends I turn around. I like a concrete slab, full hookups, etc... No boon-docking for me and my wife. We are boat people and like it as close to the slip as we can get.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Those pictures trigger my curiosity.
When your dually is 8 feet wide, the jacks have to make about 9 feet?

About 8.5 never had an issue with being over wide. Overweight, yes.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reddog1 wrote:
notsobigjoe, any particular reason for mounting the single jack on the passenger side? Does the two jack side cause problems with the fuel filler?

Wayne

Mont peters said I should have the two jacks under the heavy side. The fridge is in the slide as well as the batteries are all on that side. Most would have installed it the correct way but he said I and a couple of others were the exception. It was a little tricky in the beginning being on the wrong side and all. Over time it became normal. I have no problems with it anymore.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer

I would like a system on our ordinary jacks that allow them to swing
horizontal when travelling, these are even lower.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Those pictures trigger my curiosity.
When your dually is 8 feet wide, the jacks have to make about 9 feet?

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer

Wayne

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I will throw in my support the best I can. I love the stable-lift. I use both my four corner jacks and stable-lift at the same time to lift and lower. I go straight up and straight down. I also use my tie downs when traveling. It travels more like an RV than a truck camper. Of course mine has been sacrificed to the great northeastern road salt god. I moved to Florida two years ago and intend to take it off and clean it up but that requires time of which I have none. Here are some photos I hope.

Click For Full-Size Image.

walkeraw
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a relative new owner (last year) of an older truck camper (1994 9.5 Shadow Cruiser) with the Stable-Lift already installed. I can attest to the pros/cons others have commented on. Also, I contacted the manufacturer (Mont Peters) via phone to try and find out more info and how best to install the saddle brackets (what the lower hoop retracts onto) on the truck frame. This guy was amazing; answered all of my questions/offered suggestions, as well as emailing me a copy of installation instructions (very very informative). I didn't need to install the saddle brackets, since I have running boards installed. The system is very stable when loaded in or out of the truck, as well as quick and easy to offload. I'm a very happy owner and haven't encountered any problems with the system.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
... I'd never, ever go back to corner peg-legs. I paid more for my Stable Lift than I did for my camper. Because it's that worth it.
I too paid more for my lift (about $2500) than my TC (about $1000 before upgrades). I also said I never would go back to "corner peg-legs", but I have. Went from my SRW 2WD to my new to me DRW 4x4. I had to remove the lift for the DRW. I have every intention to modify my lift from the SRW to DRW this winter.

Your post helped fill in some of the details I left out. I sure hope other Stable Lift owners chime in, even if it is simply to repeat or counter what has been posted.

I have been accused of being a Stable Lift "lover" due to my posting on the Stable Lift and my appreciation of the product. I guess you could also say I am a Bigfoot TC lover and a Dodge Cummins lover for the same reason. It makes no sense to me to praise what I perceive to be a substandard product. Each of us have our own expectations and preferences, is that not great?

As a Moderator, over the past 12 plus years, I have been offered free products to evaluate. I have accepted none. Will I in the future? Probably not.

Wayne

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
To those who don't have one: you don't know what you're talking about.

The Stable Lift works GREAT on uneven ground. It DOES adjust quite a bit, you can indeed level the rig up with the Stable Lift jacks.
The Stable Lift doesn't hang as low as your differentials, you don't really lose any clearance. I also have a "belly bar" under my truck and the Stable Lift is no lower.

Sure, you CAN offload in the woods with four corner jacks, but it's infinitely less hassle with a SL.
The unloading proceedure is this: press the buttons. Unplug the light cord. Drive out.
No tie downs to mess with, no nothing. Loading up is just as easy, it's a total game changer.
The lift itself clamps the camper down to the truck.
If I wanted to go two miles down the street to buy a couple bags of ice, I'd drop my camper to do it. Would you, with your stock jacks? Really?

Safety and stability aren't even in the same league either. As for off-roading, I've torn corner jacks off before. More than once. The Stable Lift is much, much more stout. If you whack a corner, the load is spread out over the whole thing. I've never had any problems,
And I have had it protect my truck, a sheet of plywood blew from a neighbor's campsite in strong wind and would have banged up my truck, but the lift saved it. It's like a partial exo-cage.

Installation is a big deal, yes. But once it's done, your camper is SO easy to load/unload, and SO much safer, you'll forget all about that.

If you haven't had one, you're not qualified to weigh in. You also don't know what you're missing.
I'd never, ever go back to corner peg-legs. I paid more for my Stable Lift than I did for my camper. Because it's that worth it.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.