cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stainless steel screws

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to get a bunch of square drive stainless steel screws to have on hand for my Lance 992 camper. I would like enough variety to be able to replace any screw that I find needs to be replaced.

Do any of you have a good idea on size and length of screws I would need? My local hardware stores don't carry the square head screws so I'll have to order from amazon and I would like to avoid pulling random screws out to figure it out.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
26 REPLIES 26

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
In my former location I had ACE hardware on the way to Marina and they had excelent selection of fasteners.
From what I experienced - SS is on soft side and you can't torque the head like you do with heat-threaded bolts.
So for big screws my selection of choice were slots for big, flat screwdriver.
I used square head SS screws for decking and that was pretty much disaster.

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
If your camper already has square heads then get square heads. In response to "why stainless" you won't have or I should say you are less likely to have unsightly rusted heads showing.
2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
I get mine from these guys.

R and P Carriages

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question, why SST? If you say steel ones rust, there is another issue water intrusion, which should be addressed.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who uses lots of screws everyday, for a living, and has for 38 years. I don't even know why Phillips are still in production.
There are so many better drives out there, square being one of the best. They are used in production because they are less likely to strip or fall off a tip. Your mileage may vary.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bolt Depot has everything you want and a lot more.

As a DYI type I only order in quantities of 100 and often SS. And for screws it's square head only as they don't strip out like phillips.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
NEOK wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Why square heads? Philips are quite common, and do the same job.

Agree that Philips are common but I typically see square drive screws used in RVs.

And the reason is.......... during assembly mfgs use power drivers, and square heads have a bit less tendency to slip. For use at home when your not in any hurry philips are just fine.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Screws don't cost that much....assorted as to size and length.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

Agree that Philips are common but I typically see square drive screws used in RVs.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

errante
Explorer III
Explorer III
Head configurations are kinda sorta personal preference and there are differences in how they install but I agree with donn0128, use Phillips. Having said that I also have a lance and most of what I have found are #8s ranging from about 1" to 1 1/2". I have some outside covers(i.e. Reefer) that are in the 2" range and some inside Louver covers that are in the 1/2" range. Not measuring, this is my best guess. I would suggest getting a supply between 1/2 and 2. Unless you want to replace them all just go to the local hardware store and get a handfull of each.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that 3/4 would be the most common length, but i would carry an assortment of 1/2 3/4 and one inch, probable # 6 , #8, and #12. Also depending on what your running them into keep some locktite or a product to reduce galvanic corrosion.
Happy Motoring.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II