cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting my roof repairs tonight (with updates & photos)

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The trailer with picked up has soft corners and it's soft along the edge up to the fridge. I'm planning to peel the TPO membrane back as far as I can, replacing the sheathing, 4 rafters on the rear end, and regluing the TPO. I have all the materials on hand including dicor adhesove, lap sealant and eternabond.

I think I'm going to apply the eternabond tape along the edges on both sides & rear of the trailer just to reinforce where it goes over the side & under the trim. I'm not sure that this is necessary, but I don't hink having extra material at those bends will hurt. I'll also be applying lap sealant to the termination at the front and will cover it with eternabond just as an added layer of protection

Does anyone have any tips before I get started? I'm hoping to get the awning, trim, and vents removed tonight to I can start on the roof tomorrow.

Thanks

Mark

***UPDATE as of Feb 9th 2016***
Here's a current video of the trailer after the rebuild and a year and a half of use.

https://youtu.be/_CHmcgquP2g
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
82 REPLIES 82

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, today I cleaned out the trailer a bit to get it ready for inspection tomorrow. I also found a bad ground in one of the running lights that I needed to fix.

The real fun came when we were backing the trailer out of the driveway. Our driveway is very narrow and steep and comes out onto a narrow street in a valley (15' dirt hills on both sides of the street). This was my wife's first time spotting & my walkie broke, so it was pretty stressful on her. This all led to me mushing my bumper into the hill on the other side of the street...twice.

This certainly would have been unusual if all went as planned. I don't think I did any real damage, so I got lucky.

I told my wife the good news is our driveway is the most difficult place we'll be backing the trailer. If we can get this down we'll be able to put it anywhere.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=282

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
If you ever get out this way I'll rent you a free night at the local campground if you do that axel flip to my trailer for me. 😉 jk lol

That would cost you 2 nights and a beer...lol

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you ever get out this way I'll rent you a free night at the local campground if you do that axel flip to my trailer for me. 😉 jk lol

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
copsey wrote:
Awesome work! Really impressive

Thanks.

I'm planning to pull it out of the driveway tomorrow for the first time since we bought it. Taking it to get inspected on Friday, so I'm crossing my fingers now hoping it'll pass.

copsey
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome work! Really impressive
2004 Gulfstream Innsbruck 26RLS
2003 Ford Excursion PSD

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I finished the spring over lift over the weekend and just posted updates with photos.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=265

I'm getting the trailer inspected on Friday and we're finishing some final touches inside between now and then. This weekend the awning is going on and we're getting Halloween decorations packed for our trip to Jellystone;) I'm off all next week, so I'll use that time for some road tests and final preparations for our first trip.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today I got the old u-bolts cut off. I'm all ready to pull the axles and weld the spring pads tomorrow.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are the latest photos & updates. I'm all ready to start the lift and will just be dodging the rain this weekend.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=256

westend wrote:
Hey,
Please, when you get done and ready to roll, take some glamour shots and post them up. You're one of the fastest guys that have been on a project like this. Kudos and a big 'attaboy!

Will do. I was thinking of doing a before/after video, but will likely be photos. I'm not sure if I have enough motivation to edit a video, but it would be nice to see the progress all together. Thanks for the kind words!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Hey,
Please, when you get done and ready to roll, take some glamour shots and post them up. You're one of the fastest guys that have been on a project like this. Kudos and a big 'attaboy!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the bearings packed, brakes cleaned and adjusted and new breakaway switch installed. Everything is ready to go to start, and hopefully finish, the spring over lift tomorrow.

I also installed tow mirrors on the Suburban to make life a little easier on me. Power glass & manual extension.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started on the brakes & bearings last night and plan to complete that job tonight. If all goes well, I'll begin the spring over lift tomorrow in an attempt to get it finished ahead of rain furcated this weekend.

Here are a few photos from yesterday.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=247

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
After work I got the trailer jacked, all of the wheels off and the brakes and bearings out on one side. I cleaned the brakes and the linings look OK. I'll be ordering a new brakeaway switch, inner bearing seals and bearing buddys tonight and should have them for the weekend (although it looks like rain from Friday-Sunday).

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a link to the latest updates and photos.

http://www.rvcircus.com/?p=231

I'll be putting the trailer on jack stands tonight so I can start the bearings, brakes, and lift. If all goes well, I'll be getting it inspected next week.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paul D. wrote:
Looks Great!!
Done here to , well almost.

Keep the pics coming RV!!!

Great news Paul. It's nice when you can see the end of a project. We already have plans for the kids bedroom over the winter, so it never really ends I guess.

Paul_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Looks Great!!
Done here to , well almost.

Keep the pics coming RV!!!