cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steering Problem With My 2005 Cummins "Shipping Crate"

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
So, I'm driving along to my daughter's apartment, not a care in the world. Pulling into a parking space, I crank the steering wheel nearly full lock left when suddenly I'm hearing a Gawd awful grinding under the hood with a vibration coming up the steering column to the wheel. With my foot on brake pedal, it begins pulsating like the ABS has activated, but the truck isn't moving. Drove on to a doctor appt., the grinding sensation is there when turning the steering wheel either direction, and the pulsating brake pedal thing continues. No fluid under truck, fluid reservoir dipstick shows full hot. Dropped the truck off at my mechanic, might be a couple days before they get to it.

I'm thinking power steering pump, steering rack, or both. Am I on track here, or could it be something else? Also, what kind of wallet damage am I looking at for parts?

Just paid the sucker off last month........go figure. :M
16 REPLIES 16

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
recycler wrote:
sounds like the coupling between the p/s pump and vac pump.. turning and braking is putting enough load that is slips/grinds..

No vac pump on 3rd gen's. Only 94-02 had vac pumps.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
recycler wrote:
sounds like the coupling between the p/s pump and vac pump.. turning and braking is putting enough load that is slips/grinds..
I don't beleive his has a vac pump. My '04 does not and his is an '05. 150k on mine and no noise yet.

you are correct having never having worked on that new of one till after the post anyway to know is belt driven.. 😮 one i am working right now is an 06.. :M
1999 F550 truck conversion

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Got the truck yesterday and all is well though my wallet is in critical condition. Shop manager told me when the tech attempted to pull the truck in the service bay, the shaft apparently broke completely, sending the pulley rattling around under the hood and the serpentine belt obviously "jumped the tracks" and got ruined. At least I got the last few miles out it and made it to the shop.....

PS: Incredible difference in handling/cornering with the new sway bar links and bushings too!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:

Hey at least my second guess was close :B
My steering box went south in year one in warranty. Sh*t happens.
Sounds like a good diagnostic evaluation from behind my keyboard :W
Might mention the shop name in case I missed it in your post.

The shop is The Magic Mechanic in Orlando. They work on all cars/trucks foreign or domestic, gas or diesel. The owner is a West Virginia native who began learning the trade as a teen at his dad's gas station in West Virginia. He worked for dealerships until 1988 when he opened his own business. He doesn't turn wrenches as much as he used to, but he does employ some excellent techs who are not parts changers. Truck broke last Thursday, and I've had to wait a week for repairs, but worth it, they are that good. Only bummer was they have a fleet of 12 loaner cars they provide at no charge (just have to return fueled to the level you received it with and pay tolls if you travel on a toll road)and they were all out. No problem, still had one "horse" in the stable at home.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:

Being a 2WD Donn, I wouldn't suspect the normal 4 WD issues.

Have you ever changed your brake fluid OP? It's about time anyway.
Good Luck
Next guess is the PS pump :B

Hey at least my second guess was close :B
My steering box went south in year one in warranty. Sh*t happens.
Sounds like a good diagnostic evaluation from behind my keyboard :W
Might mention the shop name in case I missed it in your post.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
An update: Talked to the shop yesterday, was told the power steering pump "grenaded" and the tech working on it found metal shavings in the fluid when the system was evacuated. They performed a flush until the no more metal was noted in the draining fluid. However, until they get the pump in and fill and purge the system, they won't know if the steering rack suffered any harm (oh boy). Along the way they also found the front sway bar bushings and links were shot(I thought the upper control arm bushings were bad and caused all the front end racket I was hearing). Should get the truck back tomorrow.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Hydro boost is basically a diesel version of brake booster for power brakes. Could also be a steering issue. Get it to a good alignment shop for a thorough inspection

Yes and the Hydro-boost is powered by the PS pump, which is driven off the Vacuum pump through a coupling that does fail from time to time.
My '04 does not have a vac. pump and I doubt his '05 does either.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
recycler wrote:
I don't beleive his has a vac pump. My '04 does not and his is an '05. 150k on mine and no noise yet.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
It looks like this, you can't miss it if you ever changed the fuel filter.

Or this

Good Luck

Rick, thanks. Yeah I've seen all that stuff in photos innocently hanging on the firewall near the ABS module. Yes, brake system was completely purged and refilled with new fluid when I bought the truck in 2008. It is kinda "dirty" again, so I'll ask the shop to do the "transfusion" when they identify what's going on.........

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
1999 F550 truck conversion

ecoast
Explorer
Explorer
check your outer axle u-joints
07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like this, you can't miss it if you ever changed the fuel filter.

Or this

Good Luck
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Hydro boost is basically a diesel version of brake booster for power brakes. Could also be a steering issue. Get it to a good alignment shop for a thorough inspection

Yes and the Hydro-boost is powered by the PS pump, which is driven off the Vacuum pump through a coupling that does fail from time to time.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II