cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stock tires on a ram 1500 - need two more or 4 different?

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I recently purchased a 2014 ram 1500 crew cab. It has new winter tires on it and came with what was left of the stock Goodyear Wrangler p275/60R20 2 plys rated at a max load of 2601 lbs. Two were just about completely worn. The other two have maybe 50% left. In the 33,000 Km that the original owner put on the truck I don't think he ever bothered to rotate.

I tow a 30' TT with a loaded up tongue of 800 lbs or so. Even with 4 in the truck and a couple of hundred misc pounds I should be fine on stock goodyears - shouldn't I? The truck weighs 5,552 lbs empty with the front at 3,150lb and the back at 2,402 - so says dodge. I've heard no from my local tire shop. They want to sell me 4 new heavier tires. All sales BS?

I'm planning on getting 2 new goodyears to go with the old - unless...

Thanks for your time.
19 REPLIES 19

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
I am here in Utah and usually run a good pair of all seasons or all terrains. If you get out in the dirt, mud, and snow get some good AT's . Some good brands are BFG's, the Wranglers and I also liked the Hankook Dynapros's. I have heard Nitto's are a good AT but have no first hand knowledge of them. I do prefer to buy my truck tires in sets of 4 especially on a 4x4. You can always sell the other two to off set your initial cost.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
What's better with an LT tire?

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Nice to hear from someone who isn't in Sales.

Anyone look into All Weather tires? I've been using winter and then all seasons on everything I have but it would sure be nice to have one set that actually does it all. Likely the sales pitch for these is too good to be true but I'd be very interested in hearing from someone who has given them a try.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'd upgrade to LTs.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The stock tires will be more than what the truck is rated for so anything heavier is unnecessary. That being said, heavier range tires will usually be better for towing than stock P rated tires, although ride quality will be sacrificed.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley