cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for improving Dodge dually ride and handling

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, we bought a 2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel dually and 2002 Northern Lite 10-2 CD near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and drove home to Denver. The ride and handling did not inspire confidence. So we drove at 55 mph or less and felt safe at those speeds.

This spring, though the Dodge had less than 20k miles, we replaced the shocks with a set of KYB Monomax. This, plus increasing tire pressures (especially the front) resulted in a significant improvement.

However, our new rig does not come close to driving as well as our 2003 Tundra and 2004 Phoenix (1000 lb) popup, which we sold after buying the Dodge and NL. The difference is night and day.

Is this difference to be expected when switching from a lightweight, low-profile rig to a heavy, high-profile one? Or is there something I can do to improve the ride and handling? What has worked for you?

More specifically: when we drive on a smooth highway, all is fine. But when we hit a pothole, the jolt is severe. And a rough roadway causes the shakes. Plus, I find myself avoiding dirt roads altogether, roads that were no problem with our Tundra and Phoenix.

Because we have yet to drive in any severe crosswinds, I don't know if that would be a problem.

Finally, the steering is much too slow to suit me. I realize that probably little can be done to remedy this. But I wanted to mention it nevertheless.

Last year, before buying our present rig, we rented a Northern Lite 8'11 Sportsman on a new Ford 350 diesel SRW. If I recall, that rig handled better in every respect than our present one--except that our DRW I think is more stable side to side than the Ford SRW. Maybe the improvement in the Ford over the Dodge can be attributed to twelve years of truck evolution. I don't want to start a Ford vs Dodge debate. I don't know if the Ford had any suspension upgrades to handle the camper. But I doubt it.
43 REPLIES 43

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Some have been asking for weights. So here they are:

Front "axle": 4200

Rear axle: 6760

Gross Weight: 10960

GAWR Front: 4500

GAWR Rear: 7500

GVWR: 10500

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
My last superduty was sold with 200k on it. Nothing major done on it, but it was getting long in the tooth...

I would not sweat it, just do some PM and stay on top of things. Why I suggested gauges, to monitor things and catch them before you have big issues. I actively monitor 8 PIDS....
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:
Both links offer what I was referring to. I doubt your box is worn out with only 20k miles, might just need the bracing and you might lose the sloppy, wandering feeling..might try a new steering stabilizer.

As to why I keep going with Dodge trucks...I have a few reasons.

First, I'm a Ford guy, owned a few of those as well (had a f350 before my current truck). BUT...Ford had some issues (as all trucks do) but had more than I wanted to deal with, referring to the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels. So back to Dodge, with the famous Cummins and the main reason I keep going back. Compoared to my Powerstroke, I just prefer the power delivery of the Cummins. Haven't tried a Duramax so can't compare.

Point is, this is my preference and all brands have their quirks as Dodge does with steering. You fix it, you move on. It all depends on what your willing to fix, put up with or drive you to another brand. My next next truck may very well be a Ford...as I'm a Ford guy and they have had pretty good luck with new scorpion diesel....but Dodge may win me over again...you never know.
Good Grief! Guess I've gotten spoiled. I expect my vehicles to go 200k miles with only minor glitches.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
Oh and best of luck. I know you can make the truck right, just have ask yourself if your willing to invest in it or try another truck. If your truck has an automatic trans we need to talk further as well. ๐Ÿ™‚
Yes, my transmission is automatic. What's up with that?

They are weak in those years, even at stock power levels. Keep the bands adjusted correctly, get some gauges to monitor your trans temp (as well as fuel pressure, egt's, and boost) get it serviced and look at putting a lock up switch for the TC, it will all help keep it alive!

You might consider adding in a FASS to keep your lift pump alive, another weak spot of the 24 valve Cummins of that era.

I'm not trying to scare you..these are just known issues of that era. Duramaxs ate injectors and had harness issues, Ford was discontinuing the famous 7.3 power stroke to adopt the 6.0 power stroke that almost bankrupted them.....like I said...all had issues, just gotta know what your dealing with.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:
Oh and best of luck. I know you can make the truck right, just have ask yourself if your willing to invest in it or try another truck. If your truck has an automatic trans we need to talk further as well. ๐Ÿ™‚
Yes, my transmission is automatic. What's up with that?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fwiw, I wasn't thinking the steering box was defective. I was thinking that a newer model might have different steering characteristics. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Both links offer what I was referring to. I doubt your box is worn out with only 20k miles, might just need the bracing and you might lose the sloppy, wandering feeling..might try a new steering stabilizer.

As to why I keep going with Dodge trucks...I have a few reasons.

First, I'm a Ford guy, owned a few of those as well (had a f350 before my current truck). BUT...Ford had some issues (as all trucks do) but had more than I wanted to deal with, referring to the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels. So back to Dodge, with the famous Cummins and the main reason I keep going back. Compoared to my Powerstroke, I just prefer the power delivery of the Cummins. Haven't tried a Duramax so can't compare.

Point is, this is my preference and all brands have their quirks as Dodge does with steering. You fix it, you move on. It all depends on what your willing to fix, put up with or drive you to another brand. My next next truck may very well be a Ford...as I'm a Ford guy and they have had pretty good luck with new scorpion diesel....but Dodge may win me over again...you never know.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
If you need to replace your steering box I would highly recomend thse guys. Made a world of difference on my 03 F350 SRW
Redhead Steering Gears
Thanks, Buzzcut1. I've heard good things about Redhead.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:

Who sells the kits to brace the frame and steering box?

I have no experience with them but this is one of those kits.
http://dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com/
Thanks zcookiemonstar. Do any of you have any experience with this?

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
Thanks, Vinsil.

With all the issues you enumerate, you must have strong reasons to keep buying Dodge pickups. Would you care to say? Maybe I'd feel more positive about dealing with my present situation.

My tires all have good tread, even wear, and are inflated according to instructions in my owner's manual. I'm not sure what you mean by "baseline."

I have no experience with them but this is one of those kits.

http://dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com/

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you need to replace your steering box I would highly recomend thse guys. Made a world of difference on my 03 F350 SRW

Redhead Steering Gears
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Vinsil.

With all the issues you enumerate, you must have strong reasons to keep buying Dodge pickups. Would you care to say? Maybe I'd feel more positive about dealing with my present situation.

My tires all have good tread, even wear, and are inflated according to instructions in my owner's manual. I'm not sure what you mean by "baseline."

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
I must have one in a million truck...as well as the four coworkers that own Dodges as well.

Don't believe every blog out there. Is there a problem with some dodge trucks? Yup.

All issues have been addressed amd know fixes out there. What you have described does not sound like death wobble, and it did not affect the 2wd trucks like the 4x4's.
Yes, the blogger may have overstated his case.

No, I don't believe my truck has "death wobble."

No, 2wd trucks are not immune to suspension problems.

Yes, my 2wd truck has problems that the blogger has described.

The blogger wrote:

"Since the release of the EXTREMELY popular 1994 Dodge Ram through the current generation of Rams, there have always been woes on the integrity, and many times the safety of these trucks in regards to the front end. Typically, the 1994-2002 (called the 2nd Generation Rams) mostly had issues stemming from premature failure of the steering gear boxes, causing an extremely loose feeling that would work its way down through all of the tie rods and ball joints. Most drivers would explain this looseness as โ€œdriving Miss Daisyโ€ in which youโ€™re driving down the road and constantly correcting the steering because of having to over steer the truck. On top of this, most notice an extreme harshness when hitting pot holes, speed bumps, etc. that can be felt through the steering wheel. In extreme cases of these trucks, many will experience an occurrence commonly known as Death Wobble (weโ€™ll talk about this later in the write up)."

The blogger's descriptions "driving down the road and constantly correcting the steering because of having to over steer the truck," and "an extreme harshness when hitting pot holes, speed bumps, etc. that can be felt through the steering wheel" describe the symptoms I have been experiencing.

If you look at my original post, you will see that I wrote about both of these issues, though not in exactly the same words as the blogger.

Until I have reason to believe otherwise, I am going to assume that my problems stem from premature wear in my front suspension and/or steering.

I was hoping someone would write, "My 2wd Dodge diesel experienced the same problems as you are having. Here's what I did that corrected it." But so far that has not happened.

One approach I do not intend to take is to start throwing $ at the symptoms in the form of suspension modifications that more than likely will not help because they do not address the causes of the problems.

Does anyone know of a competent, honest, and reasonably priced shop in the Denver area that will drive my truck, examine my front end, spot anything that needs attention, and propose a solution. I am not inclined to replace any faulty components with OEM parts: If the originals didn't last 20k miles, why would I expect the replacements to do any better? (Unless the replacements are a new design that corrects any deficiencies.)

Never said 2wd trucks are immune to death wobble or any other issues with suspension issues. I did say that that 2wd Dodge trucks are not part of the main problem that Dodge has suffered from over the years. Part of the problem was as I already stated (I have owned a 92, 99, 01, and now the 07.5) Dodge trucks so I've read and addressed some of the issues. The front frame is weak and not braced properly. They do sell kits to both brace the front of the frame as well as your steering box.

I don't own 2wd trucks so your on your own for any other issues in that design. I could tell you about the poor track bar bracket design, the poor tie rod/drag link interface, poor box design....and on and on. I hope you find a good independent shop in your area. I'd look for one that deals with heavy duty trucks/towing on a regular basis, not a standard tire shop or Sears type of place.

I would also baseline your truck as well. Tire pressure, tore wear, ect to get the most out of what your working with. Going from a half ton with a completely different suspension design in the front, more weight, different tires...ect...is well...different. Your new setup will never handle the same as your last one...you will be able to improve things but your driving a 1 ton dually with a pretty big load.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:
I must have one in a million truck...as well as the four coworkers that own Dodges as well.

Don't believe every blog out there. Is there a problem with some dodge trucks? Yup.

All issues have been addressed amd know fixes out there. What you have described does not sound like death wobble, and it did not affect the 2wd trucks like the 4x4's.
Yes, the blogger may have overstated his case.

No, I don't believe my truck has "death wobble."

No, 2wd trucks are not immune to suspension problems.

Yes, my 2wd truck has problems that the blogger has described.

The blogger wrote:

"Since the release of the EXTREMELY popular 1994 Dodge Ram through the current generation of Rams, there have always been woes on the integrity, and many times the safety of these trucks in regards to the front end. Typically, the 1994-2002 (called the 2nd Generation Rams) mostly had issues stemming from premature failure of the steering gear boxes, causing an extremely loose feeling that would work its way down through all of the tie rods and ball joints. Most drivers would explain this looseness as โ€œdriving Miss Daisyโ€ in which youโ€™re driving down the road and constantly correcting the steering because of having to over steer the truck. On top of this, most notice an extreme harshness when hitting pot holes, speed bumps, etc. that can be felt through the steering wheel. In extreme cases of these trucks, many will experience an occurrence commonly known as Death Wobble (weโ€™ll talk about this later in the write up)."

The blogger's descriptions "driving down the road and constantly correcting the steering because of having to over steer the truck," and "an extreme harshness when hitting pot holes, speed bumps, etc. that can be felt through the steering wheel" describe the symptoms I have been experiencing.

If you look at my original post, you will see that I wrote about both of these issues, though not in exactly the same words as the blogger.

Until I have reason to believe otherwise, I am going to assume that my problems stem from premature wear in my front suspension and/or steering.

I was hoping someone would write, "My 2wd Dodge diesel experienced the same problems as you are having. Here's what I did that corrected it." But so far that has not happened.

One approach I do not intend to take is to start throwing $ at the symptoms in the form of suspension modifications that more than likely will not help because they do not address the causes of the problems.

Does anyone know of a competent, honest, and reasonably priced shop in the Denver area that will drive my truck, examine my front end, spot anything that needs attention, and propose a solution. I am not inclined to replace any faulty components with OEM parts: If the originals didn't last 20k miles, why would I expect the replacements to do any better? (Unless the replacements are a new design that corrects any deficiencies.)