cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer 2022 trip

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip from western NC to Denver, CO. Only planned stop so far is in Branson, MO. Tentative dates are June 18th -July 10th if itโ€™s not to late to get reservations. Will need to be in Denver the week of June 25th for a meeting. Anyone have ideas for a route or points of interest we should consider?
11 REPLIES 11

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
So, one week out. We head for Denver on June 20th and will travel through July 10th. Will be our longest trip with the camper. Have a couple of days booked in Nashville on the way west. Will spend a week in Denver, have passes to RMNP. Lots more On the agenda. Iโ€™ll try to post along the way.

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully so. I have reservations for the trip out to Colorado through July 5th. Working on the trip back now. May try to go a little north then turn right and head home at some point that week.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd bet that a bunch of campground reservations have opened up during the current gas/diesel price spike... I've seen a bunch of trailers go up for sale.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't mind a slight southerly detour there USS Batfish is a submarine in the middle of the plains and is mostly on the trip from Branson to Colorado.

In Branson I've got the Titanic museum flagged as something to see.

If you want to head more north then KC BBQ could easily be a several day diversion.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN, Iโ€™m learning there a lot to see in the Denver region so we will likely stay in that area a few extra days. And yes the trip is getting more expensive by the day but hoping for some relief by June.

ken56, found information on that area and made reservations today. Working on a show at the Grand Ole Oprey while we are in town.

Now working on overnight stops for the drive out and back.

Thanks for the feedback.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Wjohns02 wrote:
Have secured a spot for the week in Denver. Looks like a stop in Nashville and a show at the Grand Ole Opery is a definite. Still working on the rest of the plan.

There are 3 campgrounds on Music Valley Drive and all 3 are acceptably nice and they are the closest to town. The Yogi Bear one has changed names and possibly owners, I don't know but that is the one we have stayed at and it is fairly generous in the size of their camp sites. We haven't been to Nashville in a couple of years but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Not much to do 100-150 miles west of Branson other than endless farm land/wheat fields/flat lands. I would plan my 2-3 week vacation time around Denver/eastern CO mountains.
And probably bring lots of money for filling the old buggy's fuel tank.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Have secured a spot for the week in Denver. Looks like a stop in Nashville and a show at the Grand Ole Opery is a definite. Still working on the rest of the plan.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Granted Iโ€™ve been back and forth to many times so I do N GA to Denver in 2 days as thereโ€™s only two good ways to see Kansasโ€ฆ at night or from 30,000โ€™. I would spend more time in CO where itโ€™s cooler and do Branson on another trip to just there.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. Yes probably 40 for the first part of the trip. I will definitely order the travel guides as you suggested.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I will assume that you will be taking I-40 over to Nashville for the first leg of the trip. Stop in Nashville and go see the Hermitage, Andrew Jacksons home. Depending if you stay a couple of days there is Broadway Street to have fun on and the Grand Ole Opry to see a show if there is one while you are there.

Then I will assume you will head up to St. Louis. Of course, there is the Gateway Arch to see along with the museum below it. Lots of great craft breweries to visit. Then you can pick up 44 down to Springfield and see the first Bass Pro Shops store and the Wonders of wildlife museum. From there head down to Branson.

After Branson head back up to Springfield and take 44 over to 49 and then up to Kansas City. Pick up 70 into Denver. Never spent any time in either of those cities so can't tell you what to go see.

Certainly you can do some of your own research and see what may coincide with your interests. I usually go online and order travel guides from the states I will be traveling through. They tend to have area specific maps of points of interest. I find it nice to have the hard copy guides at hand while planning instead of spending hours online.