Did you mean:ย 

Supersprings and sway bars

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many run both?

Which did you add first?

Sway bars front, rear, or both?

Which is most effective or were both worthwhile?

Other comments?

Tx, Bill

Edit; interested only from those that have both installed.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson
27 REPLIES 27

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have the Bigwig sitting on the garage floor. I don't see any reason why I can't get it on with the airbags in place.
Before I can do that I have some welding to do...a shock mount corroded away...so I'll fix that and then put the sway bar on.

We'll be off in the Airstream for July and won't have the TC back on until August...I'll have the shock mount fixed and sway bar on before then.
If you look at the on-line instructions there are some pretty good pics...It looks like it will all fit.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Natt85
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Ordered the BigWig today...just looking at the instructions and have a question;
Will airbags interfere with the install?

Anyone have airbags and a BigWig on a 2500/3500HD 2001-2007 (Classic) vintage?

It looks like the sway bar may come close to the bags...hard to tell in their pic...

Tx, Bill

Bill,

Did you get an answer to your question? I also have a 2001 F350 dually with air bags installed and I'm also wondering if the air bags may be on the way to install a helwig sway bar.
Planning on installing sway bar soonโ€ฆ

Natacha "Frenchie"
2001 F350 PSD 4x4 Dually, air bags, Rancho 9000, but no overload springs!
2012 Arctic Fox Truck Camper 811
Natacha "Frenchie"
2013 Arctic Fox 811
2001 F350 PSD DRW 4X4, air bags, 9000xl rancho shocks, Roadmaster sway bar
"ex-fulltimer" in a 2001 Arctic Fox 5th wheel 29-5T

cigar_100
Explorer
Explorer
BILLTEX, i have a chev 3500 drw, after installing the hell wig sway bar noticed a big difference. i would recommend it to anyone looking at this upgrade.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ordered the BigWig today...just looking at the instructions and have a question;
Will airbags interfere with the install?

Anyone have airbags and a BigWig on a 2500/3500HD 2001-2007 (Classic) vintage?

It looks like the sway bar may come close to the bags...hard to tell in their pic...

Tx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks All, looks like a Big Wig is in our future...after I fix the brake line that went Friday....

Oh well...hooking up the Airstream for the next month or so...TC will be back on for big trip to Acadia NP in August!

Tx again for sway bar feedback, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Coastal_Wandere
Explorer
Explorer
I have both. Put the Airbags on when i first got the camper. Added the heavy duty sway bar after it was suggested by my dealer. It made a huge difference in the handling of the truck. Especially on exit ramps and when be passed by large trucks at high speed.

bikerdib
Explorer
Explorer
I run SuperSprings, Timbrens and Roadmaster anti-sway bar along with Bilstein shocks on the rear of my 3500 4X4 SRW, factory anti-sway bar on the front. Yes it did make the truck ride a little rougher (especially on large bumps like speed bumps). However, I'd rather have as much safety margin as possible. You never know what may occur, the need for a quick swerve or having a blowout. Plus this coming July I'll be towing my PWC trailer behind with the 2 three person PWC so that will be about 2,600 trailer weight.
2014 Lance 865 with AC, door awning, all weather package, range w/oven.
2013 Cummins Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Crew Cab 4X4 with SuperSprings, Roadmaster anti sway bar, Timbren bump stops & Curt hitch extension for the motorcycle & PWC trailers.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Hi John, loving the new Nittos. I think a Bigwig is next on the agenda...

Was up your way again last weekend (Hedge Hog Mt).
Be back in July...

Tx, Bill

Yeah, those tires are pretty stiff, eh?

Stay in touch and let us know what weekend in July.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi John, loving the new Nittos. I think a Bigwig is next on the agenda...

Was up your way again last weekend (Hedge Hog Mt).
Be back in July...

Tx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2012 Chevy 2500, the rear BigWig sway bar made a BIG difference.

We also have Timbrens and my version of the homemade stableloads.

Shocks maybe next year, but it handles very well as it sits right now. Truck has 17,000 miles on it, so while aftermarket shocks will be coming the OEM shocks aren't too beaten up now.

(trying not to feed the trolls :R)
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Marshfly
Explorer
Explorer
The stiffer suspension ties the frame to the axle more aggressively. Since the axle (hopefully) tracks the flat road surface, the stiff suspension will also track the road surface. Taken to an extreme, stiffen the suspension to a point where the frame is effectively bolted directly to the axles and you can have an extremely flexible frame and still have it stay flat with respect to the road surface. Stiffen the frame to where the vehicle acts like a toy car with zero suspension and now a tire will lift with the slightest road irregularity. That excessively stiff frame allows the manufacturers to design a much more compliant suspension without worrying about damage to body components and mounting points from the frame twisting. That's why Ram's new 50,000psi frame is such a big deal. The amazing riding coil rear suspension being put on the new 2500 would be a disaster with a much more flexible frame.

Bedlam
If the frame flexes under load how will stiffening suspension make this better? I could see going to a softer suspension to reduce frame flex. If anyone has links to show otherwise, I am willing to be educated.

You could argue that a manufacturer will use softer spring rates to minimize frame flex resulting in owners experiencing more sway and adding or upgrading the anti-sway bar (which then increases the amount frame flex the manufacturer was trying to avoid).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Please reference where chassis rigidity has anything to do with suspension sway and how an anti-sway bar will make up for a softer chassis. I just don't see it...

In the past, manufacturers have stated a rigid, well built frame has allowed the OEM's to install softer spring rates for better empty ride. Supposedly the older frames flex was compensated with stiffer suspension tuning.

Bedlam
Please reference where chassis rigidity has anything to do with suspension sway and how an anti-sway bar will make up for a softer chassis. I just don't see it...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD