Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector and Extension Cord

TCredux
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I'm just getting back into rving so have a bit of a fog brain, I used to have a class c, sold it and now I have a 24 foot travel trailer. It seems to me I used to use a 10 gauge 30 amp rated extension cord, plug that into the rv park power stand and plug in the surge protector between the extension cord that I've plugged into the park stand and the rig's own power cord so that I could "hide" the surge protector in the outside storage bay.

Is that ok, or should I just plug the surge protector directly into the park's power stand and hope everyone plays nice and doesn't take the surge protector?
TC
2016 Keystone Travel Trailer
12 REPLIES 12

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I recently moved mine out of the weather and out of temptation. Works great.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MKirkland wrote:
So for all of you surge protector experts, when you see reverse polarity, is that serious for your equipment? Mine was showing that and the park took the pedestal apart but still had the same reading. Campers around us didn't have surge protectors but said they haven't had any problems. At the next park, our surge protector didn't show reverse polarity. I checked other pedestals in other parts of the park with the same reverse polarity results. What do you think? Thanks

OMG - Yes! Reverse polarity is dangerous to you and your trailer and if your particular surge protector offers this function it absolutely should NOT have turned power on to your rig. Once reverse polarity (or any other mis-wiring with the source supply) is detected you absolutely do NOT want to plug into it. Good grief, others plugged in anyway?!!!! :S

These are the types of errors a well designed surge protector will detect and prevent from getting to your rig.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
So for all of you surge protector experts, when you see reverse polarity, is that serious for your equipment? Mine was showing that and the park took the pedestal apart but still had the same reading. Campers around us didn't have surge protectors but said they haven't had any problems. At the next park, our surge protector didn't show reverse polarity. I checked other pedestals in other parts of the park with the same reverse polarity results. What do you think? Thanks

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
I have a Progressive Industries EMS (superior in functions to Surge Protector -- the PI unit shuts down if low voltage, a much more common problem than surges in RV parks), as well as surges.

SoundGuy wrote:
Saying it doesn't make it so - there are several TRC Surge Guard models, including portable versions, that offer low / high voltage disconnection ... to suggest otherwise is simply not factual. :S

crcr wrote:
No need for hostility, sir.

I've merely pointed out that what you claim to be true is in fact not the case at all ... and anyone considering the purchase of one of these surge protection devices ought to be aware of the differences.

SoundGuy wrote:
As enamored you may be with your PI portable unit the reality is it suffers the same drawback that units similar to it suffer - it's not field repairable and must be returned to Progressive for any repairs. I've just solved this issue by ordering a hard wire version that is ... and that is fact. ๐Ÿ˜‰

crcr wrote:
Product competition and choices are a benefit to all of us. You can buy what you like. I'll buy what I like. And OP can buy what he likes. Re the Progressive Industries units, another thing I really like about them is they carry a Lifetime Warranty. And one does not need a receipt and does not need to be the original purchaser. I have had no problems at all with mine, and it has performed flawlessly even in violent storms. But it's a nice feature, if ever needed, to be able to send it in to the manufacturer, for free repairs.

Clearly you don't fully understand how these products work, as anyone who considers any surge protection device to be a one time purchase that will never need repairs may eventually be sorely disappointed. The fact is that surge protection in these types of devices designed for RV use, regardless of brand, is based on MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors) which by their nature degrade each time they sustain a hit, which eventually can result in total failure. Your own EMS has most likely deteriorated, you just don't realize it, but the bottom line remains the same regardless of whether it's a PI or TRC or any other brand - over time, given enough hits (most of which you're not even aware of) those MOVs can fail and would have to be replaced. In most cases, regardless of brand, that means returning the unit to the manufacturer for repair, one exception being PI hard wire versions that are field repairable by the owner, which as I said earlier is one of the reasons I've invested in one myself.

As for the terms of the Progressive Industries Warranty you're incorrect that it is transferrable to any subsequent owner - it's not, applying only to the original owner. Blindly promoting one brand over another simply because yours "has performed flawlessly even in violent storms" is a disservice to others considering an investment in one of these devices as doing so doesn't address the true facts of the matter.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
crcr wrote:
I have a Progressive Industries EMS (superior in functions to Surge Protector -- the PI unit shuts down if low voltage, a much more common problem than surges in RV parks), as well as surges.

Saying it doesn't make it so - there are several TRC Surge Guard models, including portable versions, that offer low / high voltage disconnection ... to suggest otherwise is simply not factual. :S

As enamored you may be with your PI portable unit the reality is it suffers the same drawback that units similar to it suffer - it's not field repairable and must be returned to Progressive for any repairs. I've just solved this issue by ordering a hard wire version that is ... and that is fact. ๐Ÿ˜‰

No need for hostility, sir. Product competition and choices are a benefit to all of us. You can buy what you like. I'll buy what I like. And OP can buy what he likes. Re the Progressive Industries units, another thing I really like about them is they carry a Lifetime Warranty. And one does not need a receipt and does not need to be the original purchaser. I have had no problems at all with mine, and it has performed flawlessly even in violent storms. But it's a nice feature, if ever needed, to be able to send it in to the manufacturer, for free repairs.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Progressive Industries EMS (superior in functions to Surge Protector -- the PI unit shuts down if low voltage, a much more common problem than surges in RV parks), as well as surges. I plug mine into the pedestal. The PI units have a metal thingy on the cord with a hole for a padlock, so I use a security cable plus padlock. It could be defeated fairly easily with tools, but some deterrent is better than no deterrent!

TCredux
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much for your replies, and taking the time to send pictures !! :C
TC
2016 Keystone Travel Trailer

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just plug the surge guard into the pedestal. I've never had any thing stolen from a campsite. (Knocking on the table)
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
For 7 yrs. my 50A Progressive hung at the power pedestal in 1000s of CG across the US.

Now it hangs from my power pedestal at the house.

Would have done a hardwired one but have dual hookups.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I too installed my portable TRC Surge Guard inside the camper by cutting the main service cable just after it enters the coach and adding a set of 30 amp connectors to the ends. The SG sits under the sofa. out of sight, out of mind, but obviously protected from theft yet can be removed entirely in seconds should it ever fail.

That said, I just ordered a Progressive hard wire EMS to which I'll add 30 amp male & female connectors so I can plug it in just as I've been plugging in the TRC. As an aside, the reason I'm making the change to the Progressive hard wire version is that the circuit board inside is field replaceable, meaning should it ever fail I can fix it myself. With any of the portable units, be it Progressive or TRC, the entire unit has to be returned to the manufacturer for repair.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've now done it both ways. I use to plug in at the power source and then plug in the trailer cord. However, the cord was 35 feet long, so in a way, I had no choice. Then I decided I wanted to hide the surge protector, so I plugged a 25 foot extension cord into the power source, then the surge protector (which I could hide under the camper then), then the 35 foot cord to the trailer.

The first surge protector died. The second surge protector came up missing (no clue?.... really). So the third one was put inside the camper. I cut the 35 foot cord (inside the camper) and attached a plug. Then plugged in the surge protector, and shoved the other plug end from the protector outside the camper electric cord hole. I also attached another cord on the 35 foot cord and now have another extension cord.

The the cord from the power source to the camper varies. I have a total of 135 feet of cord and I use various lengths, depending upon the current location of the power source. It plugs into the protector, that is now actually inside the camper.

Like I said, I've done it both ways, and both ways work. Do what is most convenient for you. But I am now a firm believer in putting the inside the camper where it will never get lost (or stolen).