cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sway and wd

wheels07
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone!! Do I need a sway bar and weight dist for 25 foot nomad TT. Or just the WD>
10 REPLIES 10

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, guess it depends upon the truck/trailer and driver.

I don't use a WDH, so no sway control. The trailer is 24', 4000# loaded with 500# on the tongue. The truck is a 2011 F150 with 145" wheelbase weighs 6500# loaded. We've gone to Florida and back twice, and all around Ontario with no problems.

But I know another guy with the same trailer and a Tundra who insists on using a WDH with good sway control.

Not sure what the difference is. Maybe the truck to trailer weight ratio? Also, I have switched the truck to LT tires and beefed up the wimpy suspension. And I only go ~ 60mph. Maybe all that helps. Dunno.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry for the double post.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our last truck was an F150 and it towed a 20' trailer. We had no sway control and it was almost hell on earth where it was really windy or on the interstate with big semis passing. Lesson learned. We now have an F250 pulling a 29' trailer and have the Reese dual cam setup. Sway begone! Bring on the wind.... ๐Ÿ™‚

You don't say what your tow vehicle is, but you might want to know what your actual payload capacity is on the TV by going to a scale along with the trailer. This will also allow you to determine your actual tongue weight. That way you will be able to get the correct bar rating for your WDH and also ensure you aren't overloading your TV (payload capacity and hitch capacity). Our actual tongue weight ended up nearly double the factory listed dry tongue weight.

Just to clarify, skipnchar's 500 lb limit on the TV is for no WDH installed. The capacity goes way up with a WDH in place.

wheels07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Going with both. I have some valuable passengers.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it is in your best interest safety wise. My WD has integrated sway control (SC) and with the winds we encounter in our neck of the woods, I wouldn't leave home without it.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Anti sway is ALWAYS optional (but it's a very good option) When a trailer sway event begins is a very bad time to go shopping for it. WD is necessary IF your fully loaded tongue weight exceeds your trailer hitches load bearing capacity. Most half ton trucks and many heavy duty trucks have a 500 lb. load bearing weight limit (give or take 50 lb. or so). One safe way to figure the fully loaded tongue weight is to use 15% of the trailers GVWR (from it's DOT) safety plate located on the front lower side of the trailer). AGAIN the WD is another good option even if it's NOT necessary in your case. It makes the tow veicle ride MUCH better (when properly sized and properly set up) even when weight transfer is not an absolute necessity.

Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, I'd never tow without some type of sway control. Even used it on my pop up.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Equalizer BRAND hitch mentioned by beemerphile is not what you are talking about. People use the term "equalizer" in regards to any weight distributing (equalizing) hitch. The Equalizer brand incorporates both weight distribution and sway control at the same time.

I would not tow without some kind of sway control. An ounce of prevention and all that stuff.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

wheels07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. I have a equalizer. Just wondered about the sway bar

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You most likely need WD. Sway control is optional.

If you are starting from scratch I would recommend the Equal-i-zer brand WD hitch that incorporates four point sway control. There are also others but they generally carry a higher price tag.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900