cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway Control Upgrade

ESDA
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to upgrade my friction sway control to something better. The trailer is 30' about 9,400 lbs. loaded. I am thinking between the equal-i-zer and the Blue Ox. Anybody have any thoughts on these?
32 REPLIES 32

Keith099
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Equalizer user here. I'm using the 10k model.

appx. 8000lbs, 32ft. Don't feel much if anything when passing or being passed.

For your setup, I'd consider the 12k model. They're rated for 1200lbs tongue weight.

Before every big trip, re-torque the socket bolts. They're the ones to the left and right of the hitch ball that hold the sockets in place for the bars. If you notice you've got more sway than you used to, torque them to 60-65 ft-lbs. Especially in the first year, I found there was a break-in for the sockets where I was re-torquing often. Maybe it was the paint wearing off?

Also lube the area the sockets slide on. Never lube the L-brackets, except maybe with a very light oil just for corrosion protection if you really feel it's necessary.

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used the Equalizer hitch for the last 3 years until I purchased a larger TT last summer. My new 32' trailer is around 7,000 lbs. fully loaded, and I just could not seem to get the EQ hitch dialed in correctly. The ride while towing was rough, and I even experienced some push/pull from passing semis that never happened when towing my old TT. Came across the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch when searching this forum from others who have purchased & towed with it. After deciding to purchase the BOSP, and towing from Michigan to Maine a couple of weeks ago, I am impressed! No sway at all, and the towing experience was so much better. The real beauty of the Sway Pro system is its simplicity. Unlike the Equalizer, the only adjustments are with chain links to transfer your weight equally over your truck axles. No noise at all turning or backing up (which used to embarrassed my other half when pulling into a campground). Don't get me wrong, both are good hitches. But after towing with both, I would not hesitate to recommend the Blue Ox system!
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest watching a few U Tube Videos on the Hitches that have been suggested. For me, it was easy to decide after words. I chose the Blue OX 15000 lb model based on my homework. We have an Arctic Fox 26x and a new F250. I've towed over 40yrs now. The Blue Ox assembly works as it's advertised.

Denlor
Explorer
Explorer
have a 37 foot trailer, 11,000 lbs loaded and an equalizer hitch, love the hitch and trailer

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
ESDA wrote:
Looking to upgrade my friction sway control to something better. The trailer is 30' about 9,400 lbs. loaded. I am thinking between the equal-i-zer and the Blue Ox. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

IF it is swaying. Find out why, and fix it. No sway control is substitute for a correctly set up TT.

As for which to use. I would go for the Dual Cam, AFTER I fixed the problem.

Very well put. Fix it, don't put a band aid on it.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

rsqem64
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for this thread, I found myself in need of a new hitch this weekend
so I had the same question about a Blue OX or the Equal-I-zer. I would love the P3 but I can't justify the money with Congress

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Hensley, and Pro Pride very good hitches, but the BO Sway Pro at $600 is a better value. jmo

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Hensley or pro pride... They ride like nothing else.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
ESDA wrote:
From what I have kind of found on these is:

Reese DC - Kind of a pain to set up, can lead to clearance issues

Equalizer - good hitch, can be pretty noisy

Blue Ox - another good one, haven't heard really anything bad about it.

I am thinking it is between the Equalizer and the Blue Ox. Has anyone had experiences with both, any problems, or thoughts?

Thanks for all the comments.

Of those three, I just bought an Equal-i-zer. Add ease of installation to that list for the Equal-i-zer: there's no drilling into the frame.

Also the Equal-i-zer was cheaper than the Blue Ox new. Would have bought a used Blue OX but somebody got to it before me.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

ESDA
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have kind of found on these is:

Reese DC - Kind of a pain to set up, can lead to clearance issues

Equalizer - good hitch, can be pretty noisy

Blue Ox - another good one, haven't heard really anything bad about it.

I am thinking it is between the Equalizer and the Blue Ox. Has anyone had experiences with both, any problems, or thoughts?

Thanks for all the comments.

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
I have the ProPride,I love it,wish I had bought it sooner

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
At 30ft and 9400# you could be exceeding the 1400# max on the Hensley and Propride anyway. I'm at 1350# TW with a 32ft and 8500#. I've had several threads concerning my Reese Dual Cam as well as the HA and PP in regards to tongue weight.
The DC can be a complete PITA to dial in. I set it up on my old combo perfect the first time. This one has taken a trip to Fla. and back before I got it right. I would HIGHLY recommend going to a scale and finding your tongue weight before you buy any hitch. I had 1200# spring bars that I thought were more than adequate for my trailer, but wasn't.
There are some real DC pros on here than can help get it dialed in, if you go that route.

$0.2
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Blue Ox sway pro pulling a 33' no problems what so ever.
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs

Denlor
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Equalizer and pull a 33ft TT total length 37 ft, loaded 11,500 lbs.
Have never had any sway problems even meeting or passing trucks or them passing me. Edmonton, Alberta Canada to Arizona very comfortable ride. Good luck!!