cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tankless water heater

hayesjenn71
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone changed out a LP/electric water heater for a tankless water heater? I really want to but I want a second opinion.
27 REPLIES 27

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Great if youโ€™re always on fhu and using it like a house.
Huge waste of water if youโ€™re actually camping with out fhu or at least a water hookup and the ability to drain gray tank as needed (IE on the ground).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
jpmyers wrote:
That's another issue I have with this tankless water heater! It takes quite a while to get your water temperature dialed in at the shower head due to how long it takes to get hot water. So when you do the whole Navy shower routine, you have that same wait for hot water all over again when you are needing to rinse off. The tendency then is to leave it running at your temp. But that wastes a lot of water and gas.

Thats why IMO a https://www.showermiser.com/

should be in all RV's. No wasted water.

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
That's another issue I have with this tankless water heater! It takes quite a while to get your water temperature dialed in at the shower head due to how long it takes to get hot water. So when you do the whole Navy shower routine, you have that same wait for hot water all over again when you are needing to rinse off. The tendency then is to leave it running at your temp. But that wastes a lot of water and gas.
Jerry & Pamela
2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar ST324RLS-38' TT
2020 Silverado 1500 w/Max Haul package & Airlift bags.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10 gal WH in my TT and have never ran out of how water. Just the 2 of us and the DW usually goes 1st. She spends more time after the shower in the bathroom than I do so that gives the WH a little more time to recover.
I also think some brands are better than others.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
jpmyers wrote:
My question at this point would be; what is the largest Propane/Electric water heater can I replace this new tankless water heater with? The original was a6 gallon unit and I do not believe there is any space available, after modifications to squeeze in a larger water heater.

It seems like your real questions is if a 6 gal water heater is enough hot water for your needs. With a family of 3 that often takes showers back to back, we have not found any issues with enough hot water. When camping without hookups we always take navy showers so we don't use much hot water.

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for glad I took out the tank less water heater that cam in my trailer and swaped to a tank.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My buddy got one (Furion) with his new RV. Keep in mind that his WH is very close to all the sinks and shower - so he has the best scenario. His complaints are that it takes 20~30 seconds of water flow for it to actually start heating and that it takes too much water flow for it to turn on. So it's very inconvenient when washing dishes and they end up standing in the shower waiting for it to fire up. Both of these result in a lot of wasted water.
He is seriously considering installing a traditional 10 gal WH.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
hayesjenn71 wrote:
Has anyone changed out a LP/electric water heater for a tankless water heater? I really want to but I want a second opinion.

Tankless needs propane to work. There are many complaints about them.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
My question at this point would be; what is the largest Propane/Electric water heater can I replace this new tankless water heater with? The original was a6 gallon unit and I do not believe there is any space available, after modifications to squeeze in a larger water heater.
Jerry & Pamela

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having to really restrict my options as I look for new travel trailer that DOES NOT have a tankless. I can see zero value in them. If you do the swap, I would recommend hanging on to the original.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I took mine out

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
โ€ฆ. I had a tankless heater in my regular home, glad itโ€™s GONEโ€ฆ My camping buddy put a tankless heater in his RV& heโ€™s glad itโ€™s GONEโ€ฆ.

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
We made that switch about a month ago, installing a G*r**d water heater. There is an ECO module in this water heater that has been faulty from day one. I am still waiting on the manufacturer to send the new module. In my opinion, I would be hesitant to make this purchase again. This unit has shut down in the middle of a shower. When you turn off the hot water at the faucet, you have to wait as much as 10 minutes before the water heater will come on again, otherwise it has an audible alarm and an error message saying the water at the faucet is too hot. (There is no sensor at any of the faucets.)

I would rather have a regular Gas/Electric water heater. I think they're more dependable and they get hot water to any of the faucets much faster than this tankless unit does.
Jerry & Pamela