cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC Ladder Parts

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Some of my ladder end caps are cracked. They are black plastic and some are starting to crack. Does anyone know where to get those?

I also advise that you change out the rust prone screws over to stainless screws. I wouldn't trust the oem screws to hold you from getting hurt in the furure. Mine were over ten years old and rusting pretty bad.

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BB, yes, one of the stand off screws on mine are showing rust. Probably worse inside where you can't see it.

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
By the time my tread endcap screws started showing rust, it turned out the tube coupling nuts "wings" had rusted away so that the ladder standoffs were loose, so I replaced them in both the standoff and the attachment plates for the ladder

You can get the tubing coupling nuts at McMaster Carr, if you can't find them at the hardware store.

The standoffs on mine used 1/4"-20 Panhead machine screws, while the mount plates used 1/4"-20 Flathead machine screws.

Installing new coupling nuts, using a socket and tapping into the 1" ladder tubing with a hammer to the desired depth (shown below) was much easier than removing them 😄

'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for clarifying that and someday soon I'll need the grab bar end caps like you say, I am sure.

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, I didn't know you were referring to the tread/rung end caps. I would imagine that you could find what you're looking for at an RV supply store. I've never seen anything like that in a hardware store. I was referring to the end caps off the bottom of the ladder that will crack over time due to moisture getting into the bottom of the caps when it rains and thus become brittle and crack. I did find some hard rubber end caps at the hardware store that works perfect and no signs of moisture or cracking.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Mine are a bit different but still the same basic idea with three screws in the cap. Longest one in the middle goes thru the grab bars on ea. side.

It's only one lone screw, the middle longer, that holds your entire weight so keep an eye on them, they are small gauge screws.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I assumed asking about the tread/rung ends, Ive never seen anything like that at hardware store. Ours uses the plug in type, screws dont go thru like those linked previously.

http://www.strombergcarlson.com/rv-ladders/end-caps-model-8539-cp/
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
exhaustipated wrote:
The end caps off the bottom of the ladder cracked on mine too due to moisture getting into the bottom of the caps when it rained and over time became brittle. I just went to the hardware store with one of those cracked caps and was able to find a replacement for both that is better than what came on the ladder and so far it hasn't shown any signs of wear and tear.

Like to know what that is if you have time to post a picture. Going to hardware stores is the story of my life but yet never have I seen what you are talking about. Sounds really good.

Thanks to all for the advice.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hardware store.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
The end caps off the bottom of the ladder cracked on mine too due to moisture getting into the bottom of the caps when it rained and over time became brittle. I just went to the hardware store with one of those cracked caps and was able to find a replacement for both that is better than what came on the ladder and so far it hasn't shown any signs of wear and tear.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
From a previous thread about adding a rung discussion, http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27943235.cfm but links to supplier of parts, if yours is similar
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com