cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC - New vs Extreme Makeover

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
A new member here. I have never owned a TC but ready to jump in. I have an F450 on order and am considering an EC 1200 or Mammoth. The question I have is new vs. used. A Mammoth for example is $65K new, where 5 years old, it is more like $25K to $30K. I can afford the new and prefer the updated look, but it seems for the extra $35K, I could update, getting cabinets refinished, leather upholstery, new appliances, new TV/sound, solar and lithium, mattress, etc... and still come out quite a bit ahead.

The question I have is -- in buying used-- do campers generally have good bones? The shell, windows, doors, A/C, heat, plumbing, electrical, do they hold up pretty well, or after five are you getting pretty close to wanting to roll it off a cliff?
2020 Eagle Cap 1165, 2019 F450 Regular Cab
30 REPLIES 30

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
Do you want to spend your time camping, or do you want to spend your time remodeling an otherwise fine camper?

From my own experience: I would not fix something that is not broken. I'd rather save the money for something else and live with some not quite perfect features of a used camper.
Things that are broken need to be fixed, of course. And of course minor improvements get done every season. But I would never tear into an otherwise fine camper just because I don't like it as it is. In that case, I'd much rather just sell it and buy what I want (Money not being the major issue, as you said).

But that is just my perspective.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you are looking t 5yr old units, assuming the prior owner didn't abuse it, everything should be fine and no need to refurbish.

Most RV's sit for the vast majority of their lives.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I think slides are the bee’s knees. Originally, I was looking at a class B primarily because I was able to fit in a standard parking spot and any campground. This forum brought me to my senses. I am purchasing a F450, regular cab which is 19’ long. I put a 5,500 lb. camper on it and I am at 22 to 23 feet. But this gives me 180 square feet of floor space. Something that small on the exterior, and with three slides, that much space on the interior, is crazy.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fact is slides don’t add that much “extra” weight. They delete cabinets in TCs most of the time, so realistically a 9 1/2 double slide is about the same weight if not less than a 11 1/2 nonslide model. They are about 200-500 max lbs per slide depending on what you put in them and how long/deep they are.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“there can be problems with a slide”

Yup but the extra room is worth the possible problems and additional weight IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my TC in my signature 4 or 5 years ago. It was shed kept and is solid as a rock. I would buy used again no problem but as another posted, water damage is a no deal.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
Ill jump back in, just as a suggestion, rethink the whole side thing. When we were looking we passed on the slide. We didn't see it as a "must have"... there can be problems with a slide, if it hasn't been taken care of or operated incorrectly, it adds significantly to the weight, and having a slide puts things up to the level of the bed rails on the truck. The slide didn't , in our opinion, provide enough extra room to over come the extra weight. Now before everyone tells you how great a slide is, this is just our opinion and it works for us... not in any way telling anyone not to get a camper with a slide, its something that should be given some thought. If you want a camper with a slide..... great.

Tx, great advice, you can tell much from the other cars/vehicles

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought mine used, and I usually don't buy used stuff. While checking the camper out also check the owner. Are his cars junk? House need painting? Yard full of junk? If he doesn't take care of his other stuff he probably didn't take care of the camper.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
It appears from my research that values depreciate maybe 15% the first year, and 7% to 8% each year after that (I am referring to used, not new that are one model year later). I have not yet spent the necessary time to evaluate used campers, but it would seem with a quality manufacturer, that to get a five year old TC, and update the look, I might get value in doing so.

I understand the resale would not ever reflect this, but a camper for my use only, it seems viable. Or maybe just a couple years old would be better.

I will definitely look for moisture. Appliances, electronics, and electric systems, I would change out, working or not. I am particularly wondering if improvements to jacks and slides have been so substantial in the past few years that perhaps something new or newer would be better.

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
Only way I would buy used. Camper would need to be stored indoors/under a cover it's whole life while not being used. Water will destroy a camper in a hurry if seals are not properly maintained. Not to mention the mold and mildew that can be lurking.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
Buying used has its own pitfalls, If I ever buy another one, I will find some one I know who can help me look at used units. More "eyes on" can only be a good thing when you are looking. Moisture/leaking is the biggest problem in my mind, next most important area would be the Jack integrity, where they attach to the camper. Next my guess would be appliances (fridge) to make sure everything is in working order.
If you decide to buy used, don't be shy about asking the owner to fire up all the appliances, get up on the roof, check out the caulking/sealant on the roof around all the openings. Have him raise it up on the jacks, (if its on a truck) get him to raise it up off the truck and take look at the bottom of the camper.
In my mind buying a used truck camper is not a quick once over and I'll take it, I would cover all areas and have a check list and check it twice.
Im old enough to have bought many used cars in my life but buying a truck camper is more involved way more .
When I bought my last truck camper I looked at tons of camper that I would not let the neighbors dog sleep in, so it gets to be frustrating pretty quick, I would plan on months and months of looking, if you find the right one sooner great but both of my campers took lots of looking and weeding through lots of crappy campers.
However you can save some serious money over buying new, but in my opinion you will work for every dollar saved. in my case no matter how good you think your new used camper is it will need some work so be prepared for that.

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
I am actually a bit surprised how little these manufacturers change their campers over the years. In most cases looking at a 2014 vs a 2019, the appliances, fabric, and electronics stand out, but other than that, very little. I think this stuff I could mostly handle. I could also do the Solar and lithium. The slides, however, worry me a bit.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t think you can find a used 5 year old Mammoth, but maybe you can.

My 12 year old Host is fine. I know of others that have been destroyed in the same time frame. Appliances do wear out and warranties are short even if you buy it new.

Personal guess is that putting a large amount of weight in the slide/compartment/etc along with being unlevel can cause significant frame damage.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is dry and has been dry you have a good base to start with. If it was ever leaking stay away as there are too many things that can go wrong. If you are handy with fixes even better as you can save a lot, any RV is expensive to fix, repair, update.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Bedlam
My feeling is that if you you are capable of the work and enjoy it, refurbishing is worthwhile. If you do not like to do this kind work, paying labor will get expensive quickly.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD