cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TC Tour of Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
My Photobucket is jumping all over the place so I'll just do a standard TR here with pix and prose.

Half Dome from Camp Curry, Yosemite Valley, CA

We spent five days and nights between Yosemite and Sequoia.
Cabeza de Vaca, our rolling domicile in Yosemite's Upper Pines Campground.

What a difference a day makes. This is Friday morning:

All these campsites filled after sundown on Friday night resulting in a full camp on Saturday morning: Taken from about the same place, our rig is behind that long white trailer, center pic.

In the morning we did our annual climb up the mist trail to the Vernal and Nevada falls bridge:

The top of a side canyon on the mist trail, Yosemite:

Texture of the granite and flora on the face of half dome:

One of the granite domes in Yosemite from the valley floor.

The main road out on the north side of the Valley.

Cabeza de Vaca on the loose:

Yosemite Valley meadow at peak color:

This was an El Nino year and the Pineapple Express dumped a lot of warm precip on the Sierra Nevada which melted all the snow. The resulting flood washed out campgrounds in Yosemite, not to be rebuilt. For a perspective see next pic:

Just off the sidewalk is the normally placid Merced River, especially in a drought year.

El Capitan and sister granite monoliths surround Yosemite Valley. Merced River in foreground:

A closer view of El Cap:

More color on the way out of Yosemite heading toward Route 41 south to Sequoia:

The Iconic shot of Yosemite Valley. What a place. Unfortunately it is being loved to death:

Fast forward to our 'pad' at Azalea campground, Sequoia N.P., the second oldest of the National Parks:

A fellow TC-er across the lane at Azalea Campground, Sequoia N.P.: I never did get to talk to them.

Friends come down to the meadow to consume what's left of the last green grass before winter sets in:

In our camp, we were surrounded by Sequoias. I humbly studied this one while sipping a Margarita. It takes 3 pics to get it all in: The lower portion. Campers came around trying to scrounge any firewood handy and I had to tell them that wet, redwood will not burn but smoke them out.

The middle portion:

The top: The tree was full of chipmunk homes and every so often a tiny head would pop out and then to one of those short branches to survey the new food that just drove into camp.

In Grant Grove. Even with wide angle, I had to keep backing up all the way across the parking lot to get this shot.

It is difficult to convey the immensity of these trees.

Jeanie in the belly of a down Sequoia. The passage is 150 feet to the other end.

The base of the Grant Tree is 24 feet in diameter:Every single mature tree has seen many wild fires which takes out the competition, but cannot kill the mighty sequoiadendron giganteum.

The Grant Tree; as close as you can get.

The top of the Grant Tree:

The small trees in the foreground are Sequoiadendron gigantieum, in training. They have a few thousand years to go. The giant Sequoias really never die, they....just fall over. As long as they are upright they will continue to grow. The secret ingredient is tanin, fire and pest proof and thick bark. The tree starts with a seed about the size of an oat flake and can live over 3000 years.

Just out of the N.P. we followed a dirt road to the Chicago Stump:

The road got steeper and narrower down to the graveyard of Sequoias, felled in the 1890's. The greatest stump of all is the Chicago Stump, cut down in 1893. This is the largest tree ever felled on the planet. 32 feet across at the base, it was an estimated 3200 years old when felled. The piece just above what you see here was hollowed out; cut into vertical panels and the section reassembeld at the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. It was called the California Hoax as no one in Chicago believed it was real.

Jeanie touching the stump that was growing 1200 years B.C. Yes, those are little Sequoias around the stump. It is humbling, to say the least. I don't think many folks get to see this magnificent stump as the road in is pretty rough.

jefe at the altar of Redwood;

We carried on along the Kings River in Kings Canyon N.P. on the last two days before the snow gate was locked.

The Kings River has seen many floods and droughts over the eons. In a drought time it looks like this:

Our last camp was at Azalea campground and our final supper was timed with the sunset. jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar
33 REPLIES 33

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Cool pics, Jefe. Good to see ya back out and exploring in the TC.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting your trip report jefe.
Seeing those places and trees in person should be on every bucket list.

California gets bad mouthed a lot but having the Worlds Tallest trees, (Redwoods) the Worlds biggest trees, (Sequoias) and the Worlds oldest trees. (Bristlecone Pines)
means nature favored California.
Add in Yosemite, the other great parks, the Pacific Coast and it's easy to see other states are just Jealous.
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the memories. We were there in 2005. Had to spend six days in Azalea campground while waiting on reservation in Yosemite. Think we were parked in the next site in the last pic. Just remember the tree was only about three feet from our window and blocked most of the view. Think we saw about a dozen cars the entire time. Best six days of the trip and lead to being very disappointed with Yosemite because of all the crowds.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Buzz, I remember your experience at Yosemite last Thanksgiving when you had a white out and broken body parts. Good thing you have a rig and a spouse that can take it and come out smiling. We were supposed to be there around that time but familial obligations trumped the trip.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Wolfman,
The trip was on November 6th through the 10th. We took along our down bed cover but opted for the less insulating fibre fill cover as the overnight temps never dropped below freezing.
This trip just reinforced our desire to not camp in campgrounds. There are just too many downsides to having a small city of strangers to deal with. The fact that Rangers now carry is a good indication.
This is why a TC is a good choice for a couple who want to be alone in a quiet and beautiful surrounding. It is more difficult for any other mode to get as far out in the outback. I did not have to turn the hubs on for this trip, but we did get the locked rear axle wheels a-churning coming up a snow-covered steep pitch.
We did get some entertainment value out of watching campers set up their rigs upon arriving at camp. A couple guys in their 50's took at least 45 minutes of picking-em-up-and-laying-em-down to erect their Fleetwood, off-road-look, tent trailer. It's the one with the long tongue and diamond plate sides and high clearance. Get the thing level and crank down the four stablizing jacks. Block the wheels and tongue wheel. Crank it up a bit and fiddle with the canvas and then raise it some more, over and over. Finally, they took a long time to get the pop out to work, constantly working the canvas where it hung up. It was like an endurance contest. It was good theater. I hope they were there for at least a week to warrant all the work on set up. I hate to think of the tear-down. Pulling down the steps and using a lift block or two if the site is not level is about as much as we do. Oh, set up two captains chairs and the Weber are options. To each his own.
We saw several Mercedes Benz tall, narrow motor homes that looked interesting, if not big-bucks. They are supposed to come out with a diesel/4WD version this year for domestic (USA) use.
jefe

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I will be in Upper Pines site 6 Wednesday though Sunday of Thanksgiving week with turkey day dinner at the Ahwahnee ...you just whetted my appetite for the Valley, Jeffe
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Very Nice.

Thanks.

Rick

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Jefe, maybe I missed it but what time of the year were you there? Great pics.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you two for the report, it takes me back to 02 when I had my family out there, being among those giants is the most spiritual spot I have been outside the church walls, and on some days when the sun shines through just right even more so.

It is a wonderful place, and I understand what you are saying about Yosemite being loved to death......and it is ashamed.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent TR. Thanks for sharing. We are planning a trip to that neck of the woods in early spring.

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful, thanks for taking us along!
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
A really informative and detailed write-up, with inspiring illustrative photos! We hope to visit this area some time in the future...

Cheers,
S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Jefe. it really is hard to convey not only the massive size of the trees, but the feel and smell of the forest. It is utterly unique.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE