Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Cummins soon to take on the Ike

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Time to place our bets;

I still haven't decided whether the Duramax did lousy or if the Ford is an over achiever. Ignoring the performance of the Duramax I'm going to say the Cummins will do the run in 10 minutes 50 seconds. it will be interesting.

Click

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think the Powerstroke is under rated and the Ram will run the hill in the same time it took the Duramax .... 11:47
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
57 REPLIES 57

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
As far as the rough ride goes it appears the RAM will not have the Factory Rear Air Option as their recent test trucks have had. BUMMER!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ I guess we should have the numbers soon. I'm alway amazed at how terrible my fuel economy is when hauling equipment. The other thing I've experienced is the horrible ride quality that they experienced with the Duramax and Ford while towing the equipment trailer. I have had some success in repositioning the load to smooth out the ride but I wonder if some of the ride issue isn't caused by wind buffeting?
B&W Companion

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure about the heavy equipment trailer having that much more wind drag than the horse trailer. Wind will go through the back section on that horse trailer and hit that back door causing a significant amount of resistance. I know it makes a huge difference with similar cattle trailers of having a open gate back door versus a having a tarp covering the back doors. Not saying either trailer has more or less wind resistance because I don't have all the data, but that close back door horse trailer is probably creating more wind resistance than some think.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
I think we have already seen a preview of what the 2020 HO cummins will do. It was essentially a tie with the Duramax although some will argue it was a DRW therefore packing more weight.

What I'm really interested in is the HO cummins fuel economy towing 30k at this point.

did you see this?

8.7 towing 29000 lbs at 70 mph. Not nearly as much drag on the horse trailer vs pulling a trailer with heavy equipment on it. At 70 mph drag is huge pulling a load like the Ford and Duramax towed. The Cummins will likely come in pretty close to the Duramax on fuel economy.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjstractor wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

If you read his post again, it's flat *power* curve, not torque curve.

A falling torque curve is desirable in a heavy duty motor, because as you lug down the revs in a gear, you get torque rise, thus fairly constant power.

The Cummins loses less power at lower rpm than the Duramax, and thus won't need 10 speeds nearly as much.

Exactly, the motor with the flat power curve maintains horsepower when shifting to the next higher gear, whereas the motor with a flat torque curve loses horsepower with every shift. The extra gear ratios help minimize this.

Roy is pointing out that an engine with a high torque rise is nice for pulling because as it pulls down the torque increases. It's more about downshifting than upshifting. If you think of a heavy truck climbing a hill most of the rear wheel torque demand is determined by the weight of the load and the incline of the hill. To a much less degree the wind and rolling resistance come into play. Because of this fact, as the hill gets steeper and the truck slows down there is only a slight decrease in the torque demand. If as the engine pulls down the torque does not increase the hill wins. The only way the truck can get the needed torque to the rear wheels is if it slows enough to grab the next gear. On the other hand, under the same scenario with an engine which posses a high degree of torque rise, as the truck slows the engine pulls down delivering more torque to the rear wheels to meet the increased demand of the hill.

If you think of a car accelerating down a track you see an increase in rear wheel torque demand the faster the car goes to meet the increasing resistance of drag. Keeping the torque curve high as the rpms increase is important for a dragster.
B&W Companion

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

A falling torque curve is desirable in a heavy duty motor, because as you lug down the revs in a gear, you get torque rise, thus fairly constant power.

The Cummins loses less power at lower rpm than the Duramax, and thus won't need 10 speeds nearly as much.

Exactly, the motor with the flat power curve maintains horsepower when shifting to the next higher gear, whereas the motor with a flat torque curve loses horsepower with every shift. The extra gear ratios help minimize this.

The power curve isn't "flat" either but it is more gradual.

I agree though, more torque at lower RPM's means more power at normal operating speeds and less shifting, even if you won't get up a hill quite as fast at WOT because peak power is lower.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
RoyJ wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
The last Cummins to have a flat torque curve was the 350 HP 650 LB/FT. in early 2011
It reached 650 lbft at 1600 RPM and stayed flat until peak power at 2800 RPM

The 350/800 engine reached 800 lbft at 1600 RPM but gradually decreased until it was the same as the 650 engine at 2800 RPM. If it was still making 800 lb ft it would be putting out 426 HP, not 350.

If the Cummons 900 engine was still making 900 lb ft at 2800 RPM it would be putting out 480 HP, not 385.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
I think we have already seen a preview of what the 2020 HO cummins will do. It was essentially a tie with the Duramax although some will argue it was a DRW therefore packing more weight.

What I'm really interested in is the HO cummins fuel economy towing 30k at this point.

At least we know the GM wonโ€™t have a hpfp disaster; this would likely be my new truck if I were currently shopping.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:

The 2500 SRW GM should have smoked the DRW RAM. 10 speed, lighter weight, less tire drag and less wind resistance.

Mileage on all three in REALITY should be similar. Not enough of a difference to make a buying decision.

I hand calculate every tan by filling to the top. Solo mileage computer is .4 higher than calculated. Towing in mountains or strong headwind computer is right on or slightly higher. Never is the computer lower.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ If it had 1000 lb ft of torque at 1800 rpm and 900 lb ft at 2800 rpm it could compete quite nicely with the Powerstroke.
B&W Companion

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The last Cummins to have a flat torque curve was the 350 HP 650 LB/FT. in early 2011
It reached 650 lbft at 1600 RPM and stayed flat until peak power at 2800 RPM

The 350/800 engine reached 800 lbft at 1600 RPM but gradually decreased until it was the same as the 650 engine at 2800 RPM. If it was still making 800 lb ft it would be putting out 426 HP, not 350.

If the Cummons 900 engine was still making 900 lb ft at 2800 RPM it would be putting out 480 HP, not 385.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Wishes for best possible outcomes in your life Larry. Sounds like you both have been able to enjoy the better things in life for more than a while and that is priceless.

x2.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wishes for best possible outcomes in your life Larry. Sounds like you both have been able to enjoy the better things in life for more than a while and that is priceless.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold