cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Emotions in a TC

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd share my thoughts (and our conversations) over these last few days...

The other half mentioned really wanting to sell the TC and get a small trailer. Why?
Because of the cons of owning our TC. Bathroom too small to shower in, truck not available for dump runs/daily driver, lack of storage.

The talk was maybe going to the dark side in a year or two. I spent the last few days hanging out at the trailer forum here looking at pics, thinking, looking at more pics and imagining myself with a trailer. I went through the whole thought process of shopping for it, sitting in it, purchasing it, TOWING it, and I just couldn't shake the sadness I felt inside. My balloon was deflating and fast!

I couldn't just hook up and go to the local park for the day. Boondocking wouldn't give me the "under the radar" feeling and I'd probably end up in more campgrounds, not that I don't go now but options are better. Plus sightseeing would be a nightmare DRAGGING that thing around with me.

So the last couple days I've been hanging out around town, Walmart parking lot, a beautiful historic city park and wherever else a TC can go for a day trip. The smile on my face says it all. The giddiness every time I jump in to drive it, park it and just sit and enjoy it, makes me realize that I belong in a TC.

Another discussion yesterday and the conclusion is we STAY IN THE TC!!

So why the story??
I was surprised how just the thought of changing really upset me and the emotions I felt thinking about it.

Have any of you felt the same way?? Are we really that emotionally tied to our TC's?

Ps.. here's a pic of me hanging out in the Historical Park yesterday.

Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865
111 REPLIES 111

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
When our kids got old enough to be a little independent they slept in surplus Army hammocks... the ones with screens and a roof.

With one end tied to a tree and the other to your TC's jack you'll know if they get up in the night.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Merri... I just read every post on this thread... You know that I have read them all and posted several times...

But I enjoyed reading them more each time.

You have to be special to enjoy a Truck camper... you have to be self relient, and confident.... you have care deeply about your partner... if you do you'll love being close... the touching, the rubbing, the... aw heck, you get the idea. Close is good. Some of our best times are when it's so cold we both sleep on the same spot... nestled like spoons...when a side gets cold we both spin to warm the other.

Truck campers require two to be perfect.

Me and Janet
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
Cadillac Jack wrote:
I cant wait to get out. I be knocking on Sleepys door down in TN soon.

Yep! The ease of a TC is wonderful!! Your set-up looks great!

Chet & Janet will treat you right! I'm very jealous!
Arctic Fox 865

Phancy
Explorer
Explorer
For me and my wife the only way to go is with a truck camper. Have had this one now for 10 years, and many days of enjoyment.

Cadillac_Jack
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought my first truck camper last week. We drove 1200 miles to get it. As we pulled out of the dealers lot and started our 1200 mile trek home I was white knuckled. By the time we got halfway through Kansas I was doing 65 to 70 without a care in the world.

By the time we got to St Louis my wife was driving and it was rush hour. No problem. She cut thru that massive city like it was nothing.

We pulled into a state park in Kansas the night before in total darkness. It was 15 degrees outside. We jumped in the TC and were warm and toasty and sleeping within 5 minutes. The next morning we jumped in the truck and were gone within 2 minutes.

None of that would have been possible in a tt or fifth wheel.

I cant wait to get out. I be knocking on Sleepys door down in TN soon.

BobTowne
Explorer
Explorer
My DW has had the same thoughts about the use of the truck for dump runs and the like, but fortunately she is a confirmed TC addict for the same reasons many have mentioned. We kept our TC even when our sons got bigger, and tho it was a little bit of a squeeze for them we all have nothing but the fondest memories of our camping treks. Now we have a much bigger and better TC and take the grandkids (still not teenagers) with us. We have an outside shower that serves us well. We're totally happy!
GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Jamin',
You really kicked the ant farm here. It seems we all come into TC-town on a different road.
My road into town was on the 'freedom to boondock' trail via dry camp mesa. But even before that I bought a TC so I could tow my Jeep to the trailhead and have somewhere to hang that was not laying on the ground. The hard core rock crawler thing is receding with age, and now my old Lance (sister to yours) is in the pure maintenance mode. A few things have broken down, over time, but everything works. But, she soldiers on to house Jeanie and I on our travels and is like an old pair of shoes: you just can't bring yourself to throw them away. These old shoes have cleats to get us through any weather and any road or trail condition: be it sand, snow, rain, or mud.
We still have a few trips left in the old girl and are in the planning stages of one of the most epic trips in a TC that I could dream up: The circumnavigation of the continental U.S. boundary states. Clockwise. In time for Fall color in N.E. 16 to 20 weeks. Camping every beach camping possibility on the Pacific, the Atlantic and the Gulf.
Yes, it is small in there, but we have learned to live with it. With just two consenting adults, we've learned the 'TC Ballet' on getting around inside on a wet winter's night. Luckily, neither of us has any claustrophobia. Small tanks? Yes, indeed. Instead of dumping every two weeks, we must dump within 5 or 6 days when dry camping. Even then, we have mitigated the problems of small tanks with some painless, inventive measures. The upside is the lack of weight you carry around with you.
Following much advice gained here, right here, I have worked on sustaining Cabeza de Vaca enough to have a lot of ownership in the old gal. We have gotten a lot more enjoyment of the old box than our initial investment of $6500 would indicate.
Yes, I would say I am attached to the girl.
Here is a pic of her on a dry lake in Owens Valley about a month or two after purchase in 2001 looking trim in her few year old patina, with Mt. Whitney above the box:

which has slowly morphed into the trail eating, trusty, beat up junker we so enjoy:

regards, as always, jefe

Very cool to think we were only 2 weeks apart on the assembly line and both are still out cruising the roads. She's older with a few battle scars but certainly not down for the count.

Unfortunately we didn't get out as much last season since we have a family member with health issues. Dementia is a terrible disease.

This year we hope to make up some time. I look out now and see snow but just a head tilt to the left and I see her in the driveway waiting. She puts a smile on my face!

I think we're loading her on the truck this week.
Arctic Fox 865

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now I was driving a 50' train around. We found out how easy it had been to park the truck/TC and how much towing a TT limited where we could go.

I totally can relate. With our 30 foot TT and I am more like 55-56 feet long on the highway. TC's are wonderful for the maneuverability. I keep looking to get another TC.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

MTRhino
Explorer
Explorer
We started our RV life in a small 5th wheel with our two kids and progressed into a 34ft Class A as our kids grew and the number of friends going along increased. When the kids moved on to their own lives we downsized back to a 27ft 5th wheel but soon found we didn't need the room inside the camper anymore but did need the trailer towing capacity and the ability to get around on the forest service roads. We downsized more and bought an 8.5ft S&S that was recently turned into our 9.6 Bigfoot to get a north/south bed and 10 years newer. Every one of the RV's over the last 25 years has served the intended purpose at the time, and all have come with some kind of compromise. I don't think there is the perfect RV for most of us and if you find it your situation will change at some point in the future so that the RV is no longer the perfect solution. At this point we are weekend warriors with ATV's and a boat and the TC fits us well, even though more room on rainy days and a bigger bathroom would be nice. At some point we may become more long term travelers or snowbirds and will move back to bigger RV that has more living space, or maybe health issues will make the climb into the overhead a problem. When we cross that bridge we will revise the plan and start again.
Central Montana
66 Jeep CJ5 (toy)
97 Glastron GS205 inboard boat (toy)
03 Bigfoot 25C9.6 truck camper(toybox)
06 PJ car trailer (toy hauler)
10 Chev 3500 ext-cab longbox (toy hauler)
11 Polaris RZR (toy)
12 Beta 450RR dualsport motorcycle (toy)
Next toy = :h

jtlingo123
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Sleepy,
You couldn't have summed it better! I am looking at buying a 5er only because of space issues with 4 kids. I love my TC but I hate having to climb over everyone in the morning or trying to find room for everyone's things.

Josh
Josh Lingo
Snoqualmie,WA.:B

Sheriffdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Well put, Sleepy.
2012 Ram 4x4 Crew Laramie LB 3500 HO Auto diesel
Eagle Cap 1160 Super Springs Big Wig Sway Bar Front Timbrens, Fastguns
RearCam SolarPnl Expdtion Shvel/Axe Kit
Thermopane Windows,, Dcted Heat & R/cycle aircon
Genset WoblStopprs

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
It comers to mind as I read the comments in this thread from TC owners and visitors from the trailer, class C and MH forums.

All of our rigs are two parts: living quarters and a method to move them around.

The major difference is:

1) Two seperate parts: Truck/truck campers and trucks with trailers or 5th wheels

2) And all in ones: truck chassis with living quarters... like class A's, Class C's, and class B's.

-------------------------

When jammin' the OP, started this thread she was in love with her camper. If the truck breaks down, or she just wants a new one... no problem.

If someone has a fantastic truck but would like to have a differet truck camper... no problem. The same goes for a TT or a 5th wheel, they can change either half as wants or needs arise like a accident of mechanical failure.

Jammin' and most of us TC owners prefer the freedom of lifestyle and ease of spur of the moment decisions to go off road or boondock.

TT and 5th wheel owners are always tethered to the campground where their TT or 5th wheel are parked. They can go 1/2 a day from their rigs... then they must return to their rigs for the other half day... just in time for bed.

If the truck fails while traveling... the TC owners can rent a different truck to move the living quarters (so can TC, TT, and 5'r owners) and keep on traveling

Now... the owner of the Class b's, C's, and A's

The all in one units seem to me to have a dilema.. when the engine or transmission fail... or have a wreck... they lose their living quarters too...

And it seems that I have seen at least one of these three parked in every transmission shop parking lot that I have seen in every town in all of the lower 48 states and many in Canada.

A question comes to my mind... how do they get home, where do they stay, If the drive train is a complete loss what happens to all of those expensive applainces, all of that fancy furniture, all of those bath rooms, the crystal and the handwoven carpets in those superior coachs? They can't move from campground to campground without a drive train.

So Jammin' let me say... I think that many others can't love their RV's like Truck camper people... Other RV's can't go to the same places without being on a leash, or they can't depend on always having their living quarters available.

Truck campers may be cosy... but they'll always be there when you need them... when you purchase them it's for as long as you want, not just till the drive train fails to a point where it doesn't make since to do the very expensive repairs.

Sleepy

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a very good point about using the TC as a spontaneous "day lodge" at soccer games or the beach or whatever. We can't use our TT on the spur of the moment -- it is a bit of a process to hitch up and so forth.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

g0tr00t
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with to each his own. We came with a Class C which we took EVERYWHERE! I do mean everywhere! The thought of owning 3 "vehicles" was too much, so we went with a 30ft TT.

The travel trailer was "fun" and "ok" then we realized it was nothing more than an apartment we owned in a campground. We went from our house to our apt all summer long. Too big to take to the secluded state parks, too big to take to kids soccer games, etc...

Now we have a Lance 855s. We also have 3 kids (14,13 and 8). This thing goes to the all day soccer games and we LOVE IT! Keeps the kids out of the rain, saves money since we have all of our food and if its an all weekend game, just shoot over to a state park and for a about $30 stay overnight. A LOT cheaper than a hotel.

On nice nights, I'll open a tent for the older kids, who love sleeping outdoors. During the day we use the TC to "check in" for food and chilling, but other wise we are all outdoors and loving it every minute.

So for us, the Class C was awesome, but the TC is more awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
This last weekend confirmed once again the ease of driving & maneuvering a TC.
The quick pit stops even on the main path (I-90) were easy & fun!
Attending an event in Big Sky Country with my friends wouldn't have been possible without the TC.

Arctic Fox 865