cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!

It was 42 years ago today, seems so long ago, yet still a strong memory in my head, a milestone I reached in my humble beginnings into the home renovation industry building solariums and such.

Yes, it was on this day, October ten, nineteen seventy eight when I had been only 4 years into my lifetime career when I worked my way to being able to purchase my first brand new truck!

Yup, 10-10-78 I drove off the lot of Phillips Chev - Olds in Penticton BC driving my nice shiny new 78 Chev 3/4 Ton Camper Special.

As I pulled out of the lot and turned left on to Westminster Ave and headed east towards home, I though I had lost my marbles, that I am a total idiot.

Who in their right mind would pay $7714. For a new truck. All taxes, fees, dealer prep and all the rest of the junk in came to $8,109.70 out the door...... Bob, you are out of your mind! I kept saying to myself. Financed it on the never never plan I did. How will I ever pay for it? I was barely 24 years old.

It was a great truck, I had it for 26 years and about 527,000K on the odometer when I retired it, still in decent shape.

Hmmmmm......

42 years later, my 2007 truck in sig is getting worn out. 408,800K on the clock and I am eyeing the shiny new trucks on the lot.

92 grand $$$$$$$ for something similar with a few more bells and whistles.

No, just no! That's what, about a dozen times the price I paid back then?
Gosh how can they justify that?

Wow! Just wow. Amazing how expensive pickups have become. All these fancy gizzmobops they have, someone has to pay for all that I guess..

Guess I'll just keep fixing what I have. It was $1423.77 yesterday for a water pump and a U-joint. Expensive!

Oh well, that's life! ๐Ÿ™‚

My story of the day.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
273 REPLIES 273

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
At 50 years old, I still have never bought a new car. I always buy 3-4 years old. I just canโ€™t comprehend paying all that money and losing 50% in the first couple years!

You don't loose that much with diesels. The MSRP on my truck was $64k back in 2014 and was its trade in value was $50k in 2016 with 30k miles in it which is what I actually paid for it.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 50 years old, I still have never bought a new car. I always buy 3-4 years old. I just canโ€™t comprehend paying all that money and losing 50% in the first couple years!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wha'?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
What a couple guys alluded to, but not specifically, is aside from inflation, youโ€™re buying twice the vehicle now compared to say, the 80s.
Power capability, technology, comfort, features etc etc.
too many โ€œwant it all, nowโ€ people. Older folks too.
Want to bitsch about the price of your new LTZ duramax dually crew cab?
Compare it to a stripped down gasser new work truck for starters and then add how much more capable, powerful and comfortable that is even compared to the top of the line 80s rig and then do the math instead of thinking luxuries should be free.
Helll, we already get huge discounts on luxuries compared to previous years and itโ€™s all relative.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
$92k for a pickup truck?! Wow. I realize that's Canadian, and is a truck with tons of bells and whistles, including the extremely expensive diesel option, but...Wow.

My 36' Class A Motorhome with full body paint and numerous other options (see signature), bought brand new in 2012, did not cost that much!

If pickups are that expensive and will only get worse.....Welllll, makes me that much happier that we'll most likely never need to own one again.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
NJRVer wrote:
Back to OP's original title:

Back in November 1984 I ordered a brand new 1985 Dodge D-150 with stereo, A/C, 318V8, and 4sp od.

Price...$10,000.

I thought WHAT!!!! $10,000 for a pickup truck!!!! OMG!!!!

Just to keep it in perspective.

As I recall I paid $18,100 for my 1991 F250 Lariet extended cab with gas engine and 2wd, otherwise fully loaded. I still remember my neighbor marveling over the luxury of a leather steering wheel in a pickup. It had 230hp from its 460 engine, gave 12mpg on the highway empty and had rear wheel ABS. The definition of luxury, safety, power and fuel economy have all changed significantly since then.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ And so long as you donโ€™t mind a little Rusty.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
You can stil have low cost truck
If you dont mind doing some wrenching :B

https://youtu.be/c_fZXyaX0l4

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My '93 GMC crew cab 4x4 turbo diesel was 28k plus 4k in aftermarket accessories. That truck is actually coming to see me tonight .... the 4 wheel drive isn't working for some reason.

28k in 1993 is equivalent to 45000 CAD in 2020. A similarly equipped truck to that old '93 would be a 2020 Ford F350 XLT and the the MSRP on one of those is about 73000 CAD. Sale price might be about about 61k.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
NJRVer wrote:

Back in November 1984 I ordered a brand new 1985 Dodge D-150 with stereo, A/C, 318V8, and 4sp od.

Price...$10,000.

You got a better deal then me. My 84 Dodge was closer to 12k. Top pkg with automatic. Funny thing is I still see it running around town. My 98 Dodge 150 was 22k and sold it to my neighbor who is still driving it as well. My 94 1500 GMC was 15k.

Not only inflation but you also have to take into account all the safety features mandated by the government as well.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
$10k in 1984 is $25k in 2020 adjusted for inflation. That is not too far off from the base price of a 2020 Ram 1500 Tradesman with a Pentastar that cost $29k. Although the 2020 V6 has 305hp/269lb-ft with an 8-speed versus the 120hp/245lb-ft and 4-speed of the old 318. It probably gets 50-75% better fuel economy too. Not only that, but it has government mandated things like air bags, reverse cameras, stability control, anti-lock brakes, and crush resistant pillars to name a few.

So I will say that is about even given the added stuff you get since a $29k vehicle in 2020 is equivalent to an $11.5k vehicle in 1984. I bet a lot of people would have paid that back then to get all of the added features stated above.

People often forget about inflation even though them wanting raises and more money at their job every year for doing the same work is part of the reason why a dollar cannot buy the same thing today as it did 30 years ago.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

NJRVer wrote:

Price...$10,000.

Like my 78 I paid 8G for...

Don't we all wish we could pay that now for a new truck!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

Crespro wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Crespro wrote:
Hello,

Interesting thread. I have taught Dave Ramsey FPU for ten years. He has good advice on personal finances.

Now, do you remember what he called a lease?

Dave Ramsey does not like a lease, for good reason.

Dave Ramsey refers to a lease as a "Fleece" I remember chuckling on numerous occasions as I listened to his talks.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer

Price...$10,000.

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Crespro wrote:
Hello,

Interesting thread. I have taught Dave Ramsey FPU for ten years. He has good advice on personal finances.

Interesting you mention teaching Dave Ramsey FPU. I used to listen with great fascination to his spot on Siruis years ago. Channel 151? I forget now. I learned a lot, even though I didnt always agree with some concepts, he had the credentials, so I knew he was right and I was wrong. Wonderful teacher!
And he was very much against leasing a vehicle.

Now, do you remember what he called a lease?

Dave Ramsey does not like a lease, for good reason. He also likes buying used. We have bought DD's off a three year lease return for a good price. We bought the F250 new because that was the only way to have the 7.3L, 4.30, ten speed and LB in one truck. So far so good. This is a keeper!
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K