cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The S&S/Red Restore/Update/Repair Thread

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Today started the "make it ours" portion of our new to us 1990 S&S 11 SCB. I started by replacing cheap plastic Therford toilet that was in the wetbath with an oval lid porcelain Therford toilet. What a pain that was, not only was it gross under the old unit, but the convertion of the water supply line was a pain to.

Next I tore all the drapes out, along with all the upolstery. Then I vacumed every nook and cranny out, removed all the drawers and vacumed in there too.

The short list of parts so far is;
NEW BATTERY
CO/PROPANE ALARM
REBUILD KITS FOR JACKS
MATERIAL FOR DRAPES
SHOWER CURTAIN
WALL MOUNT BRACKET FOR FLAT SCREEN
NEW RADIO AND SPEAKERS
LOTSA CAULK AND SILICONE

Pics to follow worked till dark.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
172 REPLIES 172

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Some opinions.......we were thinking that the backround in white and all the stuff thats in yellow, in red to match the new paint scheme.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Got back on the S&S today, pulled the front tin off and replaced it with the diamond-plate today. Took ALL DAY!

The wife and I putting a "roll" to the sheet.

The wifey doing some squezzed out buytl caulk removal.

The finished product........shiney! 🙂

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
dakonthemountain wrote:
I just may take you up on helping me move my camper over a bit if the offer still stands. (I'll pay ya of course!) I also want to remove my front window and fix a little rot on the window frame I found... want a little side job too? 🙂

Look forward to meeting you some time! Winter is coming to our mountain pretty soon....I'm not ready!
Dak

Let me know when you want to move it, better yet PM me your phone # and we'll get together and move it. No need to pay me, happy to help if I can. As for a side job.......need to finish mine first! 🙂 and I dont have an "inside" to do things yet.

Ya I know winter is coming!!!!! Need to do to much chit before it gets here too.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Chuck! I haven't check your thread out for a while... GREAT progress!! Looks really nice, and I too LOVE the shiny of the diamond plate!!!

Still looking for a new to me truck, plus my Ford hasn't sold yet and is in the garage in Burbank until it does...Can't use it for the camper,so I just may take you up on helping me move my camper over a bit if the offer still stands. (I'll pay ya of course!) I also want to remove my front window and fix a little rot on the window frame I found... want a little side job too? 🙂

Look forward to meeting you some time! Winter is coming to our mountain pretty soon....I'm not ready!
Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
WOOOOOOOW...........................Shiney!

4x8 sheet of factory origanal aluminum siding.....$176

4x8 sheet of 16ga polished aluminum diamond plate $139

This is gunna look GOOOOOD!

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
sucksthegasslowsdownfast wrote:
Thanks for the write up! Just purchased a 8.5T S&S which is going to need some loving in the same place. I'm going to save the link for inspiration.

As I understand it, this is a common "older" S&S problem. Being semi retired and on a fixed budget, and being unwilling victims of the recent economy crash, we bought the best unit we could find within our price range. We knew it would need work, but we've never been afraid of work.

We completly rebuilt the drivers side and rear of an 86 Vacationeer that we got for free because of the damage....that one took us 8 months to redo. Used it for 2 years, and had to live in it for 6 weeks after the fire. We bought our AF 1140 after that, 5er, moho, and are now back to an older TC. Funny how life works sometimes, although a TC fits our life better than the moho did. Motorhomes dont go offroad very well.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

sucksthegasslow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the write up! Just purchased a 8.5T S&S which is going to need some loving in the same place. I'm going to save the link for inspiration.
Wife & Me, 2 kiddies.
96 Nash 22H
92 Dodge Dakota
Downsizing from "big block" dually and 30' Nomad.

ksc8850
Explorer
Explorer
I just read your whole thread, even though I've watched you over on the other site, I didn't really understand the scope of your work...I am so impressed!

Man, I've actually started looking for an older TC, but I'm sure if I find one I'll wind up asking "what do I do now?".

Thank you for sharing all your work and efforts, I've loved it!
Ram 3500 DRW CC, w/ Torklift tiedowns, SuperHitch, StableLoads, FastGuns, Airlift Bags and Wireless Compressor and Rancho 9000XLs. Real Lite HS-1810 TC. Starcraft 18' SuperFisherman Fishing Boat.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks bob, I've been a "fab" guy for almost forever, used to make a living doing it. I used to have to have 3 or more projects going at the same time, but have mellowed in my age. I only have 2 going now, the camper and the Harley. Wood is my first love followed by metal. When the camper is done I have my 62 Scout "crawler" up next.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following your thread since you started working on your camper. Sorry to hear about your back hurting. I can't wait to see the finished product. You have done a fantastic job on restoring your camper. I wish I had your skills. Thanks for posting.

Bob in Oakland, Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Have started working on the S&S again, pulled my back out tarping it in a thunderstorm a couple of weeks ago. Couple of visits to the chiropractor and the back is better....not healed yet, but better.

So today rebuilt the rest of the jacks, pulled the brackets off, drilled the bracket lag screws hole to 7/16" and wood glued dowels in all the wholes. Did that to the front drivers bracket first, with the dowels in place and the drilling of new holes for the bracket lags, its just as if there was never any holes to start with........very strong. So I decided to drill and dowel the rest of the TC. I will also install a tie-in steel strap between the font jack brackets that will be also tied into the front frame work so that the stress of the dually swing brackets offset is distributed to more than the jack bracket.

I tried a few more things with the Dicor on the sides and have decided to not use it for the sides and back, it is a total PITA. I will still use it for the roof and the seems on the edge of the roof, but IMO it is just as easy for me to use construction silicone caulk around the windors and hatches on the sides and back. I may have to recaulk more often, but with the new buytl tape on everything, I dont believe that it will be an issue.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2.....well 1 and I'm making another one, 10' slide out trays on the left side, you can see the compartment in the second picture.

The interior is just to dark for us, we have started removing the old wall paper (it was peeling anyhow) in the kitchen area, and will paint it. We will probably end up painting the whole inside. I have to modify the closet doors in the bedroom area since we put a real mattress in there, they wont open. Gunna loose the dinette for a flip-n-fold couch, and make a new table for that. I'd like to put a double door 3 way fridge in the future, and add more batteries. The list goes on and on.........got lots of time to redesign the unit to be how we want it. Just have to do a little at a time.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I see the black tank blade valve and the sewer connection now. It blended in well with the dark of the picture. Then I guess your blade valve for the gray tank is a little deeper in the basement compartment. My waste is on the left side and the gray tank in the center both about the end of the truck bed and forward from there. Where your waste connection is, I have a slide out tray about 10"x5"x8'.
The interior should be fun to do. I don't recall that your interior was all that bad. Just some refinishing and perhaps new vinyl flooring, table/countertops and some lighting. It looks that your skill level will make it a cinch.
J

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Where are your Gray and Black tanks located? I have a 9.5 S&S and they aren't in the same spot.
It's interesting to see the framing of your camper as it tells me possibly mostly what I've got.
Been a great post to follow. Thanks for all the great information you've generated.
J&K

If you look at the pic of the pass side you can see the black tank on the right with the hose flush connection. It's about the size of the shower pan and sits right under it. If you look a little to the left you can see the dump valve. Behind it in the basement is the grey tank, and it goes all the way to the front. Over one more tick to the left is my fresh water drain, that is routed to the underside of the unit. Doing a large repair like I have been doing, gives me an understanding of how well these units are built. This is the first time that access doors and things have been removed from this unit and the PO was not very vigilant about maint., I got it for a good price and thought that I would find some rot, but considering the condition of it when I got it, I'm pretty happy

Wait for part II......that will be the interior redo!
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Where are your Gray and Black tanks located? I have a 9.5 S&S and they aren't in the same spot.
It's interesting to see the framing of your camper as it tells me possibly mostly what I've got.
Been a great post to follow. Thanks for all the great information you've generated.
J&K