cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The S&S/Red Restore/Update/Repair Thread

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Today started the "make it ours" portion of our new to us 1990 S&S 11 SCB. I started by replacing cheap plastic Therford toilet that was in the wetbath with an oval lid porcelain Therford toilet. What a pain that was, not only was it gross under the old unit, but the convertion of the water supply line was a pain to.

Next I tore all the drapes out, along with all the upolstery. Then I vacumed every nook and cranny out, removed all the drawers and vacumed in there too.

The short list of parts so far is;
NEW BATTERY
CO/PROPANE ALARM
REBUILD KITS FOR JACKS
MATERIAL FOR DRAPES
SHOWER CURTAIN
WALL MOUNT BRACKET FOR FLAT SCREEN
NEW RADIO AND SPEAKERS
LOTSA CAULK AND SILICONE

Pics to follow worked till dark.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
172 REPLIES 172

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
OH DARN! I was going to review your post to look at how you repaired your S&S and all the pictures are gone. If you recall, I tore my front right jack off and need to rebuild the front right corner framing for the jack. I thought I'd try and do a similar repair as what you did with this S&S. Well anyway, I'll be starting into pulling things apart and figure out what to do. Take care.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Well long time no post.....lol. We've been REALLY busy with the moms, so we haven't been able to do anything for awhile. Life has finally slowed down enough for us to take a break and head back up to Oregon. Ruthie is now retired and it's time to get the rig ready for travel to "see the sights". We can't go on any long runs yet, but we want to do short local sight seeing stuff till the spring. Then we're gunna get serious.

So now it's time to get the S&S back up to boondock camping status. The fridge won't work on propane, the battery is 10 years old, the backflow valve on the city water connection is leaking, the toilet is leaking again, and there is virtually no water flow from the cold side of the kitchen sink.

Changed the C/O interior lights to dimmable LEDs, replaced the door light with and LED, new battery, New city water connection, re plumbed the water lines under the sink, replaced the toilet, tore out the 31 year old inverter (solar keeps the battery up just fine), took the fridge apart and cleaned EVERYTHING and am waiting on a new thermocouple. The one that was on it was smashed flat, probably why it wouldn't work on propane.

It's been 3 days now and other than the new thermocouple, and 3 leaks later...lol. The S&S is ready to camp!!

I know, I know the outside looks HORRIBLE! The paint we used 11 years ago to repaint it must have been the wrong stuff. It has cracked and shrunk EVERYWHERE. We have decided that we'll wait till we do the last rebuild, upgrades, modifications to address it. We plan to replace the exterior aluminum with modern non corrugated bright white aluminum. I've found a source that I can buy 102" wide by .024 thick in a roll, any length I need.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Finished the winter clean and polish. Need to hit a truck stop and get the wheels polished right. Anyone know of one in Southern California?

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
'Ol Red holds a good shine..(thumbs up)
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Time to get Red ready for winter, she's worked hard this year and has been neglected looks wise. I started to clean and polish her today. Amazing what some polishing compound can do!! The paint is pretty trashed and needs to be redone(rock chips and peeling paint), but still shines up and looks decent from 50' LOL.

Got a little over half rubbed out and waxed. I need to turn her around to do the other side, will do that tomorrow when the wife's at work. Still need to polish the wheels, been 12 years since the last time I did it, they held up well, just not real shiny anymore. Still need to polish the bright work and wheels, clean the interior, and do the glass

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Dumped and drained with the pink stuff in the drains. Left it in Oregon so we can bomb up, if we're needed, in the Ranger...MUCH faster and better mpg than Red. Although I can't complain, Red averaged 13 mpg @ 65-70 mph for the 1,135 miles for the ride back to Menifee without the S&S on her. If we need to go back up we'll use it as the "Condo" when we're there. WAY MORE comfy than a pull out couch in the living room, more private too, just can't use the water/sewer systems. Winter has arrived......

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Not much to report, changed the T-stat to 180* vs 195* and gave her a tune-up. Note to self....why do I let other people work on my truck? All but 3 of the plugs were gapped wrong. Going in on Tuesday for trans fluid change, alignment, rear brakes, and convert the AC to r134. I'm headed to NE Oregon next week with the S&S.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Bought on Amazon as a 5 pack of singles, shipped for $23.00.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Were those LED lights expensive?

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
It really was dramatic, you can see in everywhere now.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
The before and after for the lights is awesome.. Definitely a day and night difference...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! The LED’s are some pretty and the difference is incredible!

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Went to all the flea markets and hit the "big tent" at the RV show and bought some new baubles for the S&S. Nights were cold when we first got there, in the mid 30's, and that floor was dang cold. Couple of new carpet runners took care of that.

Also picked up some new gadgets for the kitchen and replaced some crispy utensils that were over 10 years old. Lost the awning on the way home too, what a PITA.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Did some upgrades while spending the week in Quartzsite; added another light fixture on the ceiling of the kitchen and changed out all the fixtures but the bedrooms with new modern LED units. The amount of light in the ol-girl is AWESOME now. Same camera, same lights on and at night.

Before

After

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP