Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Story That Won't Go Away

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
FCA-GM

The automotive media has really latched onto this story.
80 REPLIES 80

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Are there any successful or good looking vehicles that Chrysler has released under the Fiat moniker. I will say that the 200 is probably the closest thing to good looking, but I rarely even see one on the road.

It seams that Fiat is just adding small updates (new grills, interior tweaks, etc) to vehicles that were designed by the Daimler moniker.

They have problems with their cars globally. Jeep has quality issues, the actual FIAT cars are struggling. Only their CNH/iVECO division is going well
With all your wisdom.Mabee you could comment on how FCA is doing in South America? I would enjoy hearing you eat your words.
MM49

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Skinny Man wrote:
A Wrangler with a small block Chevy v-8 from the factory would be awesome. Ram trucks only have 1 thing that is good, the Cummins. There is only 1 thing wrong with the Cummins, it has a Ram wrapped around it!

Why don't you go buy a new Ram and find out what they're really like. Probably a lot different than that 12 year old chevy you're driving. I own one. A 12 Ram 2500 CTD. One issue in 3 years. The TBC was faulty. Big deal. If you don't own one then don't comment on them.

Yes, welcome to rv.net where people post about things they have absolutely no clue on. The new Ram trucks are second to nobody and everyone I've spoken to that has one is very happy with it including myself. And I owned 3 Fords prior to this truck.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Skinny Man wrote:
A Wrangler with a small block Chevy v-8 from the factory would be awesome. Ram trucks only have 1 thing that is good, the Cummins. There is only 1 thing wrong with the Cummins, it has a Ram wrapped around it!

Why don't you go buy a new Ram and find out what they're really like. Probably a lot different than that 12 year old chevy you're driving. I own one. A 12 Ram 2500 CTD. One issue in 3 years. The TBC was faulty. Big deal. If you don't own one then don't comment on them.

Skinny_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
'03 GMC 2500HD
'12 Jayco 25BHS
Rugrat: Peyton
Labs: Catfish, Katy, CJ
GO DAWGS!!!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fordlover wrote:
jtallon wrote:
itguy08 wrote:

FCA as a whole is at the bottom.

There's those pesky FCA nameplates at the bottom, including, Chrysler.

Moving the goal posts now? First it was "Chrysler", now it's "FCA as a whole". And at first it was EVERY ranking... but now it's not really EVERY ranking anymore, is it?

Personally, I put a lot more stock in "dependability" than on "initial quality" anyway. A good reason to drive a GM or a RAM. Maybe not a Ford so much.

But hey, don't let a few pesky facts get in the way of some good hyperbole! Carry on, brother!

To be fair, it's Chrysler that keeps changing the name/ownership... Remember Chrysler Group, DaimlerChrysler AG, Cerberus Capital Management, now FCA, what's next?

It depends on the terrible company that owns it. Chrysler themselves didn't change the name, the new owners do. Right now FCA is the best owner since before Daimler.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
jtallon wrote:
itguy08 wrote:

FCA as a whole is at the bottom.

There's those pesky FCA nameplates at the bottom, including, Chrysler.

Moving the goal posts now? First it was "Chrysler", now it's "FCA as a whole". And at first it was EVERY ranking... but now it's not really EVERY ranking anymore, is it?

Personally, I put a lot more stock in "dependability" than on "initial quality" anyway. A good reason to drive a GM or a RAM. Maybe not a Ford so much.

But hey, don't let a few pesky facts get in the way of some good hyperbole! Carry on, brother!

To be fair, it's Chrysler that keeps changing the name/ownership... Remember Chrysler Group, DaimlerChrysler AG, Cerberus Capital Management, now FCA, what's next?
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Are there any successful or good looking vehicles that Chrysler has released under the Fiat moniker. I will say that the 200 is probably the closest thing to good looking, but I rarely even see one on the road.

It seams that Fiat is just adding small updates (new grills, interior tweaks, etc) to vehicles that were designed by the Daimler moniker.

They have problems with their cars globally. Jeep has quality issues, the actual FIAT cars are struggling. Only their CNH/iVECO division is going well

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
FCA is asking to so called "merge" not Ford or GM, as FCA sees the handwriting on the wall and what the future has in store for them if they don't. Merging with nothing to really offer that's truely positive is called a "sale" before a fire sale or a bankruptcy auction. Why do you think this widely published story of facts will not go away? Simply because it's factual!

Marchionne has said before that FCA, needs a third partner, they are too small Globally to weather development costs of new vehicles by themselves
FCA needs a partner to defray costs

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
It's just a matter of time before GM will realize they can't wait for anyone else to help them out.

Eventually GM will be crawling back to FCA and begging for help. And then it will probably be at half of the original offer!

Why? What does GM need them for? GM is doing well. Just look at the sales numbers. Drive one or two of their cars and trucks. The sole reason it's stock is where it is has to do with trust, which a large segment of the public doesn't, your post illustrates that well. GM isn't the same company it was 20 years ago. Heck it isn't the same company it was 5 years ago. Not too long ago a Cadillac would not be mentioned in the same article as BMW or Mercedes. Now they are making better cars than BMW (read up on the ATS). But the general public just doesn't get that yet. Most BMW owners are afraid to admit in public that their favorite brand is often bested by what used to be known as "The standard of the world".

Unfortunately perception is reality, and I don't care who owns or partners with them, it's going to take years for GM to regain the reputation they once enjoyed in their heyday.

Right about the general public does not get that, as the sales numbers for Cadillac and Ford 's Lincoln are pretty ordinary

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
No smoke ,check the transaction prices FCA are the lowest.How many posts have we here "had to buy the Ram it was $$$$$ cheaper"
The sales are made at the loss of the profit needed to pay for the next truck- no profit - no truck.
Marchione knows better then anyone there is no time left for Chrysler, in 18 months it will be in a world of hurt.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne,

Just the tip of the iceberg and having mirros with no reflectivity also. Just a matter of time until...
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
hone eagle wrote:

link

Circulated by FCA about 30 days before all the "searching for a partner " by Marchione hit the press.
They have no money for the next gen of models ,proof of which is the announcement the all development is delayed until 2016.
That is bad news, and now 'we need a partner'.

Macaroni is whining about the cost's of Product Development is going up, but since he's taking over Chrysler Corp. he outsourced another engine (purchased the company VM Motori) and continues to outsource their transmissions (i.e. ZF and Asisin) and chose not to develop those product in house.

I'm seeing a lot of smoke and mirrors with this cat!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

link

Circulated by FCA about 30 days before all the "searching for a partner " by Marchione hit the press.
They have no money for the next gen of models ,proof of which is the announcement the all development is delayed until 2016.
That is bad news, and now 'we need a partner'.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Not easy but yes apparently any large stockholder and it does not have to be a single individual .

Bankers don't care about fan bois or even own a car ,a payday is a payday

Have a look over at GMI for fairly rational discussion
myself ? I will believe it went I see it.
Newmar 34rsks 2008