cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about down sizing

phone_man
Explorer
Explorer
I know a lot of people start off with a smaller RV and eventually move up to bigger and better units, but I'm really thinking about going from TT back to a popup. I have a 2011 Lacrosse quad bunkhouse that is paid for so money is not really a factor, but in another month or so my second oldest child will be going off to the Navy and it will just be me, my wife, and an 8 year old. Not sure I really need a 33 foot bunkhouse any more. I had a pop up in the mid 2000s and it sure seemed a lot simpler. Less maintenance, less money for bearings and tires and such, and way less to store and insure it. I also didn't have to sweat the size of my campsite either. Some of my best times were in a pop up and while I love my current TT,and it was a life long dream of mine to own one, I notice my son and wife like to spend a whole lot of time indoors when we go on trips. Maybe with a pop up I can get them out more, save money on monthly storage fees, and go back to "camping". Anyone else ever make this change or entertain the thought. I'd like to hear from you.
20 REPLIES 20

phone_man
Explorer
Explorer
If I go pop up it will definitely have a bathroom. I actually enjoyed the simplicity of the cassette toilet my old pop up had. Don't really care for the popup shower, but most of my trips are state parks and COE parks with usually no sewer so the shower in my TT didn't get used much. As for the storage issue I live on a corner lot so I have access to store a trailer in my yard only if it can't be seen over a 6ft privacy fence. Due to the height any hard sided trailer regardless of length is not allowed. Storage alone will save me 1200 a year. I think the main thing holding me back is if I sell my TT I may never be in a position to buy one again. I hate financing things so I paid cash in 2011. I know I could buy a used pop up around 5-7K and have cash left over from my TT sale. Not sure if I will ever be able to plunk down 25K cash to but a large TT again.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd make real sure the wife is enthusiastic about going from a TT to a tent on wheels!
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

old_phone_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We downsized last fall from tt to pup and love it. Sure you can't take as much, but camping is about having fun not taking everything you own. Plus gas mileage went from 9 to 16 mpg.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
souraider wrote:
Sounds like a reasonable plan. We started with a popup and worked our way up to a 36' Weekend Warrior toy hauler, now we are working our way back down. There are some perks to both ends of the spectrum, just whatever fits your current lifestyle.

One thing you may want to consider is staying with something that has an actual bathroom. I know that some popups have makeshift bathrooms, but they are pretty weak. With the wife and an 8 year old you may like the comfort of an actual bathroom.

This.

Consider downsizing just to a small hard side trailer. Much easier to store all your stuff in it between trips.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a reasonable plan. We started with a popup and worked our way up to a 36' Weekend Warrior toy hauler, now we are working our way back down. There are some perks to both ends of the spectrum, just whatever fits your current lifestyle.

One thing you may want to consider is staying with something that has an actual bathroom. I know that some popups have makeshift bathrooms, but they are pretty weak. With the wife and an 8 year old you may like the comfort of an actual bathroom.
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have been up and down the length of camper thing and understand where you are coming from. Squatters, those that sit in one spot for months at a time, really enjoy the largest rigs they can afford. Some travelers rack up thousands of miles and memories in the smaller units. I spend too many nights in parking lots to make a pop up practical but a small travel trailer has its advantages.