cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of switching from BH to RL or RE

jacko147
Explorer
Explorer
We have only have 1 child, 7 year old son and we were thinking on trading in our BH to get a RL, RE, or RK model, with the thought that he can sleep on the couch, and if wanted he could eventually pull it out, for the rare times he brings a friend, we can lower the dinette. Our BH is not comfortable for living, we rarely sit on our couch, he sleeps on one bunk, the other bunk is a place to collect junk. We think we would get more use out of recliners / theater seats and extended living area. I am looking for opinions on this from people that have made this similar switch, pros and cons. I think this setup would suit us better, but I dont want to regret it later...
2010 Sierra 4x4 1500, 5.3L 3.73
2012 Jayflight 26BH
11 REPLIES 11

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of the unit we sleep in, we have always enjoyed stuff like "movie night" and cooking more involved meals while on our camping trips (at times that has been watching a laptop while we all sit around a picnic table outside the tent). That said, a big living area with comfy lounge chairs and a kitchen with enough space to cook as easily as you might at home was what we liked the most, and the nearly immediate deciding factor, on our TT purchase.

We have a Keystone Passport 31RE:

tnscoutr
Explorer
Explorer
Last spring we sold our Jayco 27BH and bought the Hideout 30RKDS. We absolutely love the room it gives us. When someone camps with us they have the tri-fold sofa. A gel-foam pad makes it much more comfortable.
06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
2015 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Keystone Outback 298RE. We love ours.

Edit: Got access to my photos now, wanted to put these on here. Here's the rear view of our Outback:

yup, this is what we have (well the 295RE that doesn't have the bedroom slide).

We absolutely love ours.

1) lots of room, we have had a dozen or more people in the trailer without being crowded
2) the expansive view. great when at a scenic site

The downside is if someone else is along, sleeping takes more prep time. However, when the Daughter and family is along, THEY get to set up and take down the beds. The upside is that there is plenty of room around the hideabed even when out to move around.

This IMHO is NOT a family trailer, mostly because of the sleeping arrangements for more than two.

We've looked several times at shows for a trailer layout we liked better and haven't found one yet.

This layout has 70 gallon grey, 35 gallon black, 50 gallon fresh water, great for boondocking. AND you can get to the sink, stove, microwave, fridge, dinette, and bedroom with the slides IN. great for rest stops or pulling the slides in at night for a quick morning getaway.

There are similar layouts, some have a permanent TV in the back, which negates any back view. Since we seldom use the TV, with the tv in it's cubby we get a great back view, and give some storage space as well.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
We've had 2 trailers and both were Rear Living. We love the living room set up and the big picture window. The picture window really brings in the outdoors to the trailer. I've also found that these set ups have better angles on the TV in the trailer. That may not matter to some, but I find it silly to have a television that is at an odd angle for all seating options, which tends to happen in some BH models.

With only 1 child to worry about the dinette or the pull out couch is more than enough. I've slept on our couch while pulled out a few times. I'm 6'3" 250lbs and the bed fits me, but for someone of my size I'd recommend adding some extra padding, so you don't feel the cross bars underneath of you. The new couch is a jackknife style fold out and you can still feel the edges. I usually take the pads off the dinette for extra softness. An egg crate or memory foam topper would help too and can roll up and be put under the dinette when not in use.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone has a RL with a bunk and pull out sofa. It might be something to consider. This is pretty much my floor plan but instead of the bunks, I have another entry door and a bench/coat hook area.

Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Our teenaged grandkids enjoy a chance to camp. Though usually canoe and tent, when we use the RV they still bring their tents. Who want to sleep with a bunch of snoring old folks.

The biggest problem is getting them all together at one time. Kind of like herding cats.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

KeithR
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Flagstaff 27rlws. We both love the rear living area. Even with visitors there is plenty of room. If one of our grown kids come for an extended visit, we plan to put then up in a camping cabin.
Test,test, is this thing on?

2016 Ram 3500 CC w/duallys, 6.7l Cummins 4x4
2015 Flagstaff 27RLWR

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I am a bunk house person. camping+Kids = bunk house.
As mentioned it's not all about sleeping. The kid will need a space to call his or her's own.
I agree the RL models are better for adults however if the kid doesn't have a dedicated space than neither will the adults. The trailer will always be in flux.
Making beds,sleeping on the sofa,converting beds,no dedicated space for kids stuff. It's all a trade off, but for me bunkhouse is the way to go with kids.
Don't get me wrong I 'll be glad to have a RL model however it will have to wait until kids have moved on.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dhust
Explorer
Explorer
We did it, switched from a BH to RL, after the kids were out of the house (for the most part). One kid is back with us after not being able to handle College. Now he never wants to go camping with us. I'm not sure if it is because it's not cool to be with your parents, or if he doesn't think he has his space. With the BH all 3 of the kids had a bunk they could climb in, and a place to keep their stuff when they were gone.

With the age of your child, please consider if that would be a factor. He might have a harder time without "his own space" (as our autistic would). Only you would be able to determine if that might be a factor.

Otherwise, I love our RL. The space it gives for the 2 of us is more than plenty. My wife likes the couch (laying across it), and I like the easy chairs, so we removed one of the chairs and put the dog cage there, since it was not being used anyway.

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
We have just bought our 3rd RL unit, and our second Denali, a 325RL, and love them. The best view from within our camper is nearly always to the rear.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone Outback 298RE. We love ours.

Edit: Got access to my photos now, wanted to put these on here. Here's the rear view of our Outback: