cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts: 6.5' bed v. 8' bed

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to get a new pickup. Won't be hauling any fifth wheels, but will haul a variety of bumper hitch trailers, some possibly pretty heavy.

Main question is what everyone's thoughts are on the 6.5' bed vs. 8' bed? This truck will likely be a 3-day a week driver and a 5-6 times a month hauler of trailers, gear, stuff, etc.

Only real issue left to decide (other than finding a color combo the DW likes) is whether to go standard or long on the bed.

Pro's con's of either? preferences?
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN
20 REPLIES 20

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I've always had a 6.5' bed but I'm going long bed next time just for the ride quality/wheelbase. But this one is my "forever" truck so I may change my mind. Hoping it can last me another 10+ years, and it's 14 years old already.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had both and love the 8โ€™ bed now. Just as easy to drive but better towing as itโ€™s a bit smoother on the highway

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
My previous truck was a 2004 Chevy 2500HD crew cab with 6.5' bed. I hauled a bunch of stuff in the bed, towed a travel trailer, and it did everything I needed. I once had a 20 sheets of 4'X8' 1/2" OSB slide out the back as a I left a stop light. I thought the weight of the boards would grip each other until I heard a huge crash and saw them sliding out the back.

My new truck is a Ram 2500 crew cab with 8' bed. It also does everything I need and then some.

6.5' bed pros
- shorter turning radius
- fairly easy to park
- lot's of accessories availble

6.5' bed cons
- everything must be tied down.
- can make longer loads difficult if excessive weight is on the tail gate

8' bed pros
- can fit long boards inside the tail gate
- no need for sliding hitch on 5th wheels (not an issue for the OP)
- can easily fit golf cart with tail gate closed for pulling TT

8' bed cons
- LAND YACHT. These things take a wide berth to turn and park.
- Much less common than short bed.

Honestly both bed lengths will fit the OP's needs just fine. Oh, and the ability to fit a board 8' long is not the be all, end all. If the OP is wanting to haul long stuff and tow a TT then an 8' bed is probably the better choice. If not, the 6.5' is perfectly fine.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Psh.... if you ain't got a 16 ft bed then you ain't got a truck, you got a grocery getter. :B
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Our Supercrew has a 6.5 bed and it seems big enough for most chores. It fits in the garage, at least on one side.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
How long are the loads & toys you'll be hauling? Motorcycles, ATVS, lots of plywood sheets? That should be the deciding factor.
I just got a 5.5' bed, but it's on a supercrew F150. This thing is still about 20" longer than the 1998 Expedition I owned, the longest vehicle I had previously owned. It's taking some getting used to, especially parking in town or at the mall. The only way it fits in my old garage is if I bump the back wall ;( So I'd go with the shorter option.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,