cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts? Good, bad, or indifferent?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Late last Summer we replaced our awning. Wind damaged an arm and also started tearing the fabric at one corner where it attaches to the trailer. We had a new one put on (fabric) and the arm was fixed, and everything is happy and well now.

We kept the old awning, as I just don't like to throw anything away. If I can find a way to repurpose anything, I usually do. If not, I'll eventually give it away. So, keeping the old awning fabric was a given.

I had no clue what I'd end up doing with it. I thought about using it as a tarp over my fire wood at home, I mean... all kinds of ideas.

Then, over the winter I thought of an idea.

So, I just tried it this afternoon to see how it would work. Actually, it installed very easy. My wife pulled while I fed it in the awning roller groove. It was slightly breezy, so I held it down with a couple temporary weights.

I kind of felt it was a lot of weight pulling on the awning arms, and if I did this for real, I'd need a better way to secure it to the ground. But, if you saw this set up at a campground, what would you think? Good idea? yes, no, or simply no opinion?

Is this too much weight on the awning arms? Is there a risk of damage if the wind blows up? Would you do this?

FYI, we do have 2 quick shades for extended shade, but this set-up would give us a LOT of privacy behind the "curtain". And, taking it back down was no problem at all. It came down easier than it went up.

Actually, the fabric is so stiff, it's actually harder to unfold it and fold it back up than anything.

Thoughts?

34 REPLIES 34

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
Yep , it makes a good sail

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
We got one season on the firewood stack out of our old awning. You might get a couple years since it looks a lot newer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Count me in as not liking it...

BUT - - You can cut it up and have matching picnic table and bench covers...

Now that would be re purposing it in the RV world...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If the arms failed without it this is only going to be worse and unlike the screen rooms where some wind can flow thru, this is solid so it makes a much better sail.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea if you are a nudist.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
Do they have a dumpster in the park?

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
I think it would make a good wind break, but if you are using it in the wind, it would unfortunately make a very large sail too.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
It tore at the top front or rear corner end, where its hemmed over a cord that slides into the wall or awning tube c channel ? Any commercial tent and awning shop can fix that by cutting off damaged portions , sewing in a new hem. You then have a 7' 6" awning instead of an 8' for much less.
Old awning covers do make good tarps, not good ground mats as they do not breathe.
I dont see anything wrong with using it as a curtain, if you are ok with the aesthetics, go for it. Some like privacy it will afford, others want to see you or you want them to see you. I vote you do whatever you wish as long as it does not harm the camp flora.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see that you have no awning cover in your slide even though some people do. Could you cut it up and use it as a slide cover ? Even if you have to purchase the hardware you could save the cost of the awning itself.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I'm another one for no. Too confining.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hang off the awning for sun blockage such as recently at Death Valley. No issue so far.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Picnic table covers?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I see a trend in the answers beginning to form. I do agree, it looks red-neck, especially looking back at the photos. Thus the reason for asking opinions before doing this for real.

The good thing is, I have no cost involved in this, and it only took about 10 minutes to drag the cover out of the loft in the garage and put it on. All experimental in my driveway. FYI, our quick shades ARE much more camp ground friendly.

Well folks, it doesn't hurt to get opinions now, does it? I think the responses did confirm my original instinct, especially when looking back at the photos.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
I like it for the wind sheltering aspect, but when the wind gets high enough I always store the awning. The addition would add time to rolling up the awning.
It would look nicer if it were the same brown as the new awning.
I think it is a pretty unique way to utilize the old awning.
To hold down later, something like this would work.tarp clip
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The RV is too nice for that redneck setup.:B

Another NO vote

Jerry