cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on the Cost of RVing

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
In the process of planning a trip next summer out to Glacier NP, Yellowstone and all the NPs in Utah. About 3800 miles, round trip, and at least 30 nights. So, I just read an article in Barrons predicting much higher gas prices after the election. Itโ€™s been a good run on low gas prices the last few years and we've got in a lot of great trips. I do remember the $3.75 - $4.50 a gallon price that was common 5-6 years ago and how that curtailed our travel to the point we could only afford to go a couple hundred miles. If prices raise to $5.00 a gallon, as being mentioned by other media, and campgrounds raising their rates as is happening, we are starting to question if we can afford to continue making long trips.
By the way, so far in my planning, campground nights will average $55. Of course some parks will be lower and some higher. With a near $4K just in gas and campground fees, probably looking at well over $6K for the trip. To get to the point of my post, wondering what other folks may be thinking about the cost of RVing these days? At what point does it get just too expensive?
Please, there is nothing political about my post and I hope comments can be civil. I also know the economics of RVing has been discussed here in the past and Iโ€™m not harping on high costs as they are what they are. Just wondering what/if folkโ€™s concerns might be here in the present about the high cost of RVing.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch
71 REPLIES 71

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
In addition to the daily costs of RVing, there is of course the cost of the RV itself.

But for us, none of it matters. We got our first trailer thinking it was sort of a motel room on wheels --a convenience, and nothing more.

We were wrong. We discovered to our shock that we loved camping (who knew??) and have made RVing the center of our recreational lives.

My only regret is that we discovered it so late in life --when I was in my early 50s. Our kids were already grown and gone. We could have done this when they were small, but we thought it was too difficult. Wrong.

So to us, it almost does not matter if RV travel costs more than flying and staying in hotels. (I doubt it does cost more, but that is not the issue.) I just don't worry about the cost. The fun is priceless.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
We are retired and travel is our main expense. We donโ€™t eat out, go to movies or to bars, etc.
We go to state parks, COE campgrounds because the are usually the best for privacy and not being in a glorified parking lot. We donโ€™t boondock. Been there, done that, donโ€™t wanna do it anymore.
Since overseas travel is out for now, we use the camper a lot more.
Iโ€™m not worried about fuel costs. The US has gotten off cheap for years. Thereโ€™s a reason Europeans donโ€™t have big trucks or SUVs. The last car we rented was in Italy in 2019 and it got almost 60 MPG, converted from litres and KMs.
Like some say, it is what it is. Weโ€™re gonna go enjoy it as much as we can.
Fuel prices are way down the list as to reasons Europeans don't have large SUVs and Trucks. The fact that almost the entire infrastructure of the continent makes operating a large vehicle impractical to impossible is a much greater reason.
The roads in many towns were laid out by Ben Hur and his associates. They are barely wide enough for a horse and chariot, much less a one ton dually. Parking that truck would be impossible anywhere near the city centers of most European cities. Many Europeans have plenty disposable income to enable them to buy the fuel if they actually wanted and had huge vehicles. Bicycles, scooters, micro cars and public transportation are the commuter vehicles of choice in vast parts of Europe. Big vehicles just aren't a part of their DNA.

Lots of buses, delivery trucks, and giant tractors get around just fine. However, I remember some doodlehead driving a Hummer in downtown London near Covenant Garden market. He drew a crowd watching him try several places to park. Ended up causing a traffic jam because he couldnโ€™t get further down the road.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't feel I have to justify my hobbies to anyone except my wife.

Since she loves RVing as much as I do, I don't need any other justification.

Ive never cared to do the comparison between RVing and hotel vacations. There is no comparison. There may be other reasons to choose hotel vs RV, but cost has never been one for me.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Drove to Alaska last summer 2019. 5 and 6 bucks a gallon in Canada. Planed on it and saved all year to pay for it. It cost to have fun. If you can't afford it cut back on your trip or save more money. Camping is not cheap, learn to save in other ways.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I traveled at 4 and 5 dollars a gallon for gasoline. Under 2 sure isnt going to crimp my style now even if my income hadnt risen.

But i understand the concern expressed about government raising fuel taxes any time they think they can get away with it.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been as "cheap" as they come. Yet, this expensive hobby has grabbed my attention and wallet. All it took was the first experience with my wife and kids to realize that my goals needed to shift away from preparing for the future and towards living in the present. I now have what I hope is a healthy balance, and we have created RV memories in the last 10 years that have no price tag. I will continue to do so...no matter the cost.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

scenechaser3
Explorer
Explorer
This is how I justify the expense..... My little camper is my home when I am away from home. It is clean, my wife and I are the only ones that stays in it and use it. We have a small dog that we take with us, most decent motels doesn't accept any pets. So when we go places, we can leave our dog in the camper with no worries at all. I feel more relaxed in a place that I can call "home". We go traveling, we cook and seldom ever eat out. The biggest expense is pulling the camper to location, after that it's only lot rent. In my opinion, the longer we stay, the more benefit we get from the trip. Even if fuel was up to $5 gallon, there maybe fewer trips but I would make the trips that I take last longer....
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB Travel Trailer
2020 Ford F350 XLT

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall ever hearing anyone say, "I bought this boat because it's cheaper than staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants. Comparing the cost of RVing with flying and renting a car, etc. is missing the point.I have an RV because I like driving down the highway and seeing the sights. Pre and post covid, I like pulling into small towns and eating in local cafes. I like sleeping in my own bed and having my own bathroom. And, I prefer a campground, even an RV park, to a hotel. I like not having to pack and unpack every time I move. I like going a lot of places where there are no hotels.True, I can stay in my TT in San Diego for a month for around $1000. That's four or five nights in a hotel. I can cook in or eat out. But, that's not the point. The point is that I have an RV because I like the lifestyle.I like road trips and I like to be able to go to remote places and be comfortable.It's not about what it costs, it's about what I do for recreation.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

As it looks like now, the Federal Govt is likely to be in a stalemate for at least a couple years. If Biden takes the Presidency and the Republicans keep the Senate (as it appears now), expect a whole lot of nothing to happen. (sorry this is a close to a-political as you can get based on your political twist on the question).

Now let's say it's a worst case scenario and gas is $5/gal.
- 3800miles at 10mpg is 380 gallons or about $1900. Round it up to $2000 for some local site seeing.
- Even at $2.50/gal, that's only a $1000 difference. Since you are heading out west where boondocking is a lot easier, you can make most of that up with 10-15 boondocking nights. Plus $55/n not being cost conscious. We just ran southern Wyoming thru Utah to Vegas...and our worst price was $35/n with most nights in the $20-25/n range.

All this concern while buying $60,000 trucks and $30,000 trailers...

So nope, I'm not really worried about costs of gas and RV parks suddenly getting out of control.

I hope your right, but with the concessions to the New Green Deal, Gas WILL go up, even if the laws dont change. As was done in the prior administration, executive orders, and additional regulations will be the drivers, raising the cost with zero benefit to anyone but the Government. Who as always will find ways to benefit from the taxes.

You'll get some changes but far less than if one party or the other controlled both branches. The New Green Deal is dead in the water without both branches under one control.

Gas prices probably will go up...inflation adjusted, gas is dirt cheap right now but short of the economy roaring back, I don't see it going up more than $1/gal during the next year and it could just as easily go back down that much if the current situation drags on.

As one party has stated it will destroy the Energy sector. All he needs is executive orders to do it. And to stop drilling as his leader did 8 years ago. Which he has promised to do.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
We do it because we love it. It's that old Oscar Wilde quote of knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
I like that one too. Pay more attention to the product you're buying than what it costs. Unfortunately, that's the extent of some people's research.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:
Ditto that... been doing just that, having recently added 4 Lithium batteries, a new higher capacity Solar Controller, and next come adding to the Solar bank with a few more panels...
Excellent. Yeah, the infrastructure costs are substantial, but the payoff is immense.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Ok, in keeping with not being political, I don't know why gas prices would be "much higher" after the election. You can save a ton of money equipping your rig to boondock instead of expensive and likely crowded campgrounds.

I have zero concerns about higher costs. I'm well-funded in retirement.

Ditto that... been doing just that, having recently added 4 Lithium batteries, a new higher capacity Solar Controller, and next come adding to the Solar bank with a few more panels...

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I do not believe you can compare RVing to any other method of vacationing. In general it is a slower paced, just a bit cheaper, and to some more enjoyable.

Coming from a canoe and tent vacation background, a TT is the lap of luxury. We often travel for weeks at a time and are just as satisfied with a couple of days with no hook-ups as a full featured KOA.

I always advise folks to rent an RV before you buy; to see if you like the experience.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wapiticountry wrote:
Fuel prices are way down the list as to reasons Europeans don't have large SUVs and Trucks. The fact that almost the entire infrastructure of the continent makes operating a large vehicle impractical to impossible is a much greater reason.
The roads in many towns were laid out by Ben Hur and his associates. They are barely wide enough for a horse and chariot, much less a one ton dually. Parking that truck would be impossible anywhere near the city centers of most European cities. Many Europeans have plenty disposable income to enable them to buy the fuel if they actually wanted and had huge vehicles. Bicycles, scooters, micro cars and public transportation are the commuter vehicles of choice in vast parts of Europe. Big vehicles just aren't a part of their DNA.

In addition to fuel prices, they have other taxes, fees and rules that make it very expensive to own larger vehicles.

While there are exceptions, really not that much more difficult than driving a truck around a major US city (we've done plenty of driving in Europe including a full size camper van)...not convenient but if the garbage trucks and other work trucks get around, so can your full size pickup.

If you look at city dwellers in the USA, you will also find far fewer own full size pickups also.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are retired and have had 5 tropical trips canceled in the past year which includes a late 2021 March trip.

With all 5 trips being refunded, camping will be free for several years and that is exactly what we plan to do with every penny.