cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Timbrens vs Airbags vs Helper Spring

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some opinions vs each other in which do you prefer and why. Picked up a new truck and I know one of these are going to be needed as a mod to the truck. Just not sure the route to go this time. New truck is F150 super crew with max toe and max payload options.
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs
41 REPLIES 41

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
My last F150 was fine pulling camper. Even towed it from Michigan to Nashville to Gatlinburg and back. Had plenty of power and no sway (using a Blue Ox sway pro) the only issue I had was porpusing, added a leaf and that problem was solved. Just a rough ride when unloaded. A 250 or 350 were out of the question for now with to kids in a private highschool and college around the corner. We have 1 maybe 2 years left with this camper before we downsize to a cottage on the lake up north some where.
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
I have not used Timbrens so I can't say about them.

But my F350 that I use primarily for my landscape business has helper springs. It tows or has a load in the bed 98% of the time its on the road.

My F350 I use for towing the camper has air bags. This way I can adjust. They're hardly noticeable when unloaded at 10 psi.

Last note. I googled your camper in your signature. It appears to be a travel trailer, correct? A properly set-up quality WD hitch should be able to keep you from buying any of this stuff.

This! Properly set WDH with the packages you already have should be gracious plenty. If not should have gone with a 3/4 ton.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I tried Timbrens and the ride loaded was unbearable. Timbren worked with me on different spacers and different rated springs but to no avail. Last trip I used them was from KY to Myrtle Beach and when I got there the first thing I did was take them off. I read so many good reviews and thought they were my answer. They were terrible and even with the great customer service they provided I can't recommend them.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wes Tausend wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Huh? Makes no sense. Why would you buy a marginal tool then try to beef it up?

You too, Don. Play nice. Say you are sorry. It's Mothers Day for heavens sake. What would your mother say?

I'd say the best solution is airbags. That way the OP retains the improved ride of a half ton when needed, but gets better weight handling when loaded more heavily.

Wes

Naw. The trailer at around 38 feet long and a 8800 pound GVWR is simply too much trailer for a 150/1500 series truck.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I have not used Timbrens so I can't say about them.

But my F350 that I use primarily for my landscape business has helper springs. It tows or has a load in the bed 98% of the time its on the road.

My F350 I use for towing the camper has air bags. This way I can adjust. They're hardly noticeable when unloaded at 10 psi.

Last note. I googled your camper in your signature. It appears to be a travel trailer, correct? A properly set-up quality WD hitch should be able to keep you from buying any of this stuff.

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer
tkhollywood wrote:
Looking for some opinions vs each other in which do you prefer and why. Picked up a new truck and I know one of these are going to be needed as a mod to the truck. Just not sure the route to go this time. New truck is F150 super crew with max toe and max payload options.

Congratz on the new truck. My old, but cherished, 3/4 ton got totaled in my driveway a couple of weeks ago. My next pick-up will be one of the very able, newer HD 1/2 tons... I assume for all the good reasons you bought one.

As I said above, I prefer airbags in spite of their greater cost and trouble to install. I want to be able to steady heavy towing loads, yet enjoy the improved empty ride that 1/2 tons offer.

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
tkhollywood wrote:
....snip..... New truck is F150 super crew with max toe and max payload options.

Since he already has the "max toe", perhaps the OP needs the whole foot?

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The Timbrens are the only ones that won't affect the unloaded ride since they don't engage until weight is added and the suspension drops. Bags, even if only low pressured, and springs are always engaged and will affect ride.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

You too, Don. Play nice. Say you are sorry. It's Mothers Day for heavens sake. What would your mother say?

I'd say the best solution is airbags. That way the OP retains the improved ride of a half ton when needed, but gets better weight handling when loaded more heavily.

Wes

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Silverado 2500HD is a great mod.

That's just plain mean... a little funny in a cruel sort of way, but mean.

Now say you're sorry, Tom. ๐Ÿ™‚

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Silverado 2500HD is a great mod.