cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for a new Truck

Browzin
Explorer
Explorer
Ok the Motor Home is sold... Time to go back to towing a bumper pull trailer...
I haven't keep track of who has what engine / transmission combo's in the last few years.
Need to buy a NEW truck, prefer either a 2016 or a 2017 when they come out in a few months.
At this point in time I am interested in Gas or Diesel, Ford or Chey, 3/4 ton, (Trailer will be under 7500 lbs unloaded, which as all RVers know, means your pushing 9,000 plus when towing.)
Who has the most reliable engine transmission combination??? Not concerned about other features, this will be a tow only vehicle.
Thanks in advance
25 REPLIES 25

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Always funny to see people attempt to answer a question after hearing only about one fourth of it. How many miles a year will they tow? How many people in the cab? What kind of toys in the bed of the truck? What good dealers are in the area? Mountains? Traveling 4wd roads? The list goes on and cannot be answered by a simple answer like, "Buy a XXXXX".

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Since you asked my list would be in this order; Ford, Ram, Chevy
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You definitely need a DRW.

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
I'll chime in to agree with the suggestion to drive them all.

I'm a fan of the Ram trucks. I liked my 6.4L Hemi, and the Cummins I just picked up as an upgrade will hopefully be solid.

But there's nothing wrong with the Chevy/GMC or the Fords. They're excellent trucks in their own right. Pretty solid options all around. It mostly comes down to personal preference.

There's no way to make a bad choice right now in the 2500/3500 range. Drive them all, and go with the one that you like the best.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive all six! 2 times all three, one gas and one diesel and then YOU get to decide, not us!!!! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

thecdnmole
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a GM guy all my life. I had a 2008 Chev2500HD, then a 2011 Chev2500HD diesel company trucks and loved them, putting about 30,000 miles on a year. Then about 3 years back we bought a Flex and like it! So last fall I had to buy a truck and decided on a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD. Verdict is still out, nothing wrong with it, love the sound of that Cummins and better fuel economy than the Chev diesels. I think the Chev rode a tiny bit better, maybe cause of slightly longer WB? The distance from front of box to wheelwell is probably the only thing that peevs me, as I cannot fit my 20" wide cargo box like I did on the Chev. As everyone says, all are good trucks, all depends what you like ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy shopping!
2002 Titanium 29E35RL 5th, adopted Summer 2015
2015 Ram 2500, CC, SB, diesel, 9900 lb GVW

Browzin
Explorer
Explorer
For all the current model Ram fans, sorry my fingers do not type as fast as my brain works, yes I would consider a Ram, Ford, or Chevy/GMC

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
They are all pretty nice these days, which ever one fits your butt the best would be a place to start. Of course exterior looks is different for folks so pick out what YOU think is good looking.
I believe Ford has a new platform for the 2017 MY due out this summer. Might wait till both 2016 and 2017's are on the lot for a discounted 2016 price.
I wouldn't rule out Rams either, 6.4 Hemi is very strong along with legendary Cummins powered trucks.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
They all have their fans, but you can't go wrong with any of them. All are good trucks. Just drive them all and pick the one you like best.

Diesels are nice, especially if you will be towing in the mountains. But a big engine gasser would work for that weight trailer also.

Ford is coming out with some major changes for 2017 if you are a Ford fan. Otherwise, just personal choice.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
.... and that's when the fights started.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Oh boy, where's the popcorn..

I'm towing a 11# 5er with a Ram 6.4 gasser with 3:73 gears. No issues at all.

Yep I noticed you only asked about Ford or Chevy. But what the hell!!