cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Covers? Yea or ?

jhfxrtleeh1
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my TT tires. Do I need to consider tire covers? If so, vinyl or canvas? Single or dual? Anything else to consider? I'm totally in the dark about this.
23 REPLIES 23

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
With our trailer parked here at the house during the camping season the curb side tires are exposed to full sun the entire day so I do cover them. I have a set of vinyl tire covers made for the purpose but find them a PITA to install / remove so I instead use a piece of Reflectix, secured in place with shock cord behind the tires.

The street side tires are shaded the entire day by the neighbour's house so I don't bother covering that set.

FWIW, I also cover the trailer's entire tongue area with a vinyl weave cover which really helps minimize black plastic parts like the battery boxes, propane tank covers, tongue jack head, etc, from prematurely fading.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I have never used tire covers in the eleven years that I have owned my trailer and don't ever plan to use them. You can't cover your tires while driving across this country. My trailer has always been stored outside and I haven't found any inside camp grounds either.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I use expensive tires. A set is well over 1,000.00.
I have been using the covers. The covers age out really fast. Here in AZ, I really should go thru two sets of covers in the tires lifespans. I do not think that the dollars saved by slightly increasing the tires life vs the dollars spent on the covers works out to my advantage... Using the covers does make me feel like I am doing something though.
If using regular cheap ST tires, then covering them really isn't cost effective. Putting that cover money towards new tires makes far more sense financially. As always....
Your money, your choice.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes and it doesn't matter
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
My experience - I did not use covers for the 5 year life of my previous tires. Where the trailer sits, one side faces the sun directly, the other side is shaded by the trailer box. At replacement time, it was obvious that the side facing the sun was far more stress cracked than the other.

When I bought new tires, I paid a little more for a better tire, and also bought covers based on that experience. They are inexpensive and easy to put on/off.

But even though I'm using them, I don't think they are critical. The old tires lasted through the 5 year life span that I choose to impose on trailer tires. I would have replaced them even if they had been covered. I also did not rotate the tires. I could have rotated them, and the sun damage would have been averaged between the two sides.

The most I expect from the covers, is to enjoy a little more confidence in the tire sidewalls. That makes them worth it to me.

Incidentally, the covers wear out about as fast as tires, so expect to need a new set of covers with each new set of tires.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
White vinyl single covers on all my tires. 4 for the main tires and 1 fitted for the spare.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. Yes, we have the cheap ones from camping world. We have the single ones that are vinyl. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
If you replace the tires every 5 years, which you probably should, I don't think there is much if any benefit. I no longer do. My last trailer I kept them covered in the off seasons and the tires still looked fine on the side walls with no visible sun damage but they still needed to be replaced at 7 years of age due to a blow out. My new trailer, I just plan to replace them every 5 years.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I bought a set from CW and always use them when at home. Could save the tires from UV and weather cracks.

They really do help the tires to last. Mine were filthy, so off to the local laundromate. All clean and very white. I let them air dry.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a set from CW and always use them when at home. Could save the tires from UV and weather cracks.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
I don't here in sunny California. I replace my trailer tires within 4 years anyway so the sun can fade the tires in that amount of time but really doesn't do much other damage.

jhfxrtleeh1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies. Helps to sort things out a bit. Will probably try the tarp & clip idea first as I have everything in hand right now.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jhfxrtleeh1 wrote:
I'm totally in the dark about this.
Tires like it dark.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

path1
Explorer
Explorer
jhfxrtleeh1 wrote:
Replaced my TT tires.

Do I need to consider tire covers? I read that some tire experts say they cover anything going to be exposed over 4 days.

If so, vinyl or canvas? I use cheapie Camping World vinyl. Wads up smaller to store in boot(being as thin and cheap as they are)

Single or dual? I like single

Anything else to consider? Where my TT is parked, after a couple of years if weed wacker gets them a little no big loss.

I'm totally in the dark about this.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"