cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Life

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
At the risk of hearing flames from the extremes, how long should I really expect TT tires to last?

My situation: I have a 2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS (8000-9000lb loaded) with Maxxis M8008 ST225/75R15 load range D tires. The tires look great, no observable sidewall checking/cracking and lots of tread as they only have 15K-20K miles on them.

Since I'm planning on getting a 5er at some point, spending $500+ on tires would be lost $ if I make that move and it wasn't really needed. With that said, not sure if I'll make that move in next year or not.

Looking to hear from a good cross-section, not just the ultra conservatives, but where on the true tire life distribution am I? Already at the 1% outlier point where 99% chance I should have had a blow-out already; pushing my luck past 1-sigma where ~80% would have seen a blow-out at this point; at the nominal point for half to experience problems; etc?

I'm not looking for insults or judgment, just honest open feedback.
Thanks,
Ron
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK
21 REPLIES 21

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Inspection off the trailer is far better point of view in my experience.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to extend this thread, but MUST say THANKS again.

I pulled all wheels off tonight to take in for the new Maxxis E's (two dealers told me the wheels I have would be fine going to E from D (only an 80psi vs 65psi thing as trailer still weights same 8-9K)).

Good news is that the spare looked perfect even though it was 10 years old. Lucky news was that all 4 running tires had several 1/2"- 3/4" cracks between treads on each, with one tire having a several inches long crack running between treads (all cracks ran along tread on top surface with one tire also having several small cracks near the tread on the side-walls).

I take back my previous comment about probably being OK. I count myself fortunate and don't planning on running 9yrs again.

Ron
Ron & Pat

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the tread is flat across, round in circumfrence, and no bad wear pattern I would keep running them.
I have had 2 sets (not Maxxis) and both had tell tale signs of going bad before they let go at about 3.5 years. Just bought some Maxxis and expect 6 to 10 years as I would with any tire.

pacamper
Explorer
Explorer
Rule of thumb for the group i camp with is 5 yrs, i had valve stems crack after 4 yrs, tires started showing dryrott at 5yrs, so i replaced them, and they do not sit in the sun, tt is kept under roof and tires parked on wooden blocks 90% of the time.
pacamper
2009 Ram CC FX4 Hemi w/3:92
2014 Coachmen Apex 288BHS

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
MNRon wrote:
Thanks all for the feedback.

I've just scheduled to replace all 5 (spare was >10yr old) with Maxxis load range E. Tires Plus didn't have D's available, and believe it or not the Maxxis E's were cheaper than I found Carlisles for.

Net-net I've kept the Maxxis but upgraded to E's as well as upgrading 9+ years (insisted on 2013 date codes). Wasn't too worried about my current tires for short runs, now I won't be worried at all and can start longer trips with this trailer when I retire next year.

As always, thanks for the feedback.
Ron

Are your wheels rated to handle Load Range E's. If not, you might want to reconsider finding D's or upgrading wheels.

How do you find out if your wheels are rated for E rated tires?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
MNRon wrote:

I've just scheduled to replace all 5 (spare was >10yr old) with Maxxis load range E. Tires Plus didn't have D's available, and believe it or not the Maxxis E's were cheaper than I found Carlisles for.

Net-net I've kept the Maxxis but upgraded to E's as well as upgrading 9+ years (insisted on 2013 date codes). Wasn't too worried about my current tires for short runs, now I won't be worried at all and can start longer trips with this trailer when I retire next year.

Ron

Are your wheels rated to handle Load Range E's. If not, you might want to reconsider finding D's or upgrading wheels.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
muelldawg wrote:
9-12,000 miles on ST tires is what I have read. Tread is a non-issue.
That would mean some people would go through 2 sets of tires in one year, if those STs didn't blow up first...I don't think I would follow that rule.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer

Ron
Ron & Pat

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
The Maxxis tires on my trailer were born in 2005. I bought the trailer new in 2006 and used it for seven years.

When I got home from my 2013 summer trip to Key West, two of the tires had signs of tread separation although everything else looked new. Fortunately, they didn't leave me on the side of the road and died a peaceful death in storage.

I now have a new set of Maxxis and am ready for another seven years or so.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, it's hard to put a date or mileage on tires. Most people don't even think about it on cars and trucks. Most cars and trucks can actually wear out their tires. Trailers usually don't wear out their tires. My trailer is also a 2005 model. I replaced two of my tires at about 3 years because I noticed a small sidewall bubble on each one. I replaced the other two at about 7 years due to the beginning of tread separation. I don't keep track of my trailer's mileage, but each trip is usually 1,000 miles or more. And one trip was over 10,000 miles. Keep them at max cold pressure, don't over load them, and don't tow too fast. Visually inspect your tires at all rest stops, gas stops, and camp grounds. (this works for me)
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
What's the worst that could happen if your tire(s) blow while being towed? A little damage to your trailer, may to your truck also. Maybe a little damage to other vehicles on the roadway. Maybe you lose control of rig and all hell breaks loose.

Guess it depend on how lucky you feel. The price of trailer tires could fall dramatically, right! If you're feeling lucky, you might want to raise the insurance deductibles on your vehicles.

IMHO, a little common sense will remove all this stress from you and/or your family.

ReferDog
Explorer
Explorer
3-5 yrs.
ReferDog 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dura Max
Artic Fox 30U

Equlizer Hitch

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
More to loose if you have a blow out....... Tire manufacturers recommend approx 5 years ............. The guy next camp site to us took the risk now he has trailer side wall damage & other damage to deal with.................

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
The safest way would be to take your tires (and trailer) to a reputable tire store in your area and have the store inspected the tires off the rims and get there professional opinion.
It would also depend on your plans for the next few months, winterize and store, then wait until next season. If you a planning longer trips, heat and speed, it might be the time to replace now.
If your going to sell the trailer, new tires would be a selling feature and you may get some of your investment back, if trading in ??.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.